14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sent AOS on November 14th, interview March 25th. Not even prepared for this. Only thing we have that I can show that is joint right now is our bank account. We haven't even taken that many pictures of us together. UGH.

Someone have any tips on what I need to do to get more "proof" of our marriage?????????????

Thank you!!

Sent AOS on November 14th, interview March 25th. Not even prepared for this. Only thing we have that I can show that is joint right now is our bank account. We haven't even taken that many pictures of us together. UGH.

Someone have any tips on what I need to do to get more "proof" of our marriage?????????????

Thank you!!

Haven't even been to Social Security to change my last name!!! Guess I will do that on Friday

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Craft wills, medical powers of attorney, and similar documents. These are even more crucial in "life" than they are great evidence for AOS or ROC.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Congrats on the interview notice, although I could absolutely scream!!! We files more than 2 months before you and have still heard nothing. There is not such thing as equitable in this silly process.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Congrats on the interview notice, although I could absolutely scream!!! We files more than 2 months before you and have still heard nothing. There is not such thing as equitable in this silly process.

Thank you but now I am DREADING getting all this paperwork and proof together UGH!!! Someone on here told me that Detroit, MI usually gives an interview and pretty quickly

Thank you but now I am DREADING getting all this paperwork and proof together UGH!!! Someone on here told me that Detroit, MI usually gives an interview and pretty quickly

Timeline

I see his EAD was approved in 34 days though! Took us 77 days! :)

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi, regarding to your post. I have a question. When you sent in your application on November 14th, what documents did you send as evidence of bonafide marriage since you don't have enough proof?

I ask because we are preparing to send in our application and my spouse and I don't have much except for a few pictures. We currently live with my brother, our plan is that when I get my EAD we will find a new place. :)

Thanks and congratulations on your green-card approval! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I got my Appointment letter today too! I am worried though as it is schedualed when I am suppose to be away in Vegas for 4 nights, It's the first time ive planned going away at all since i moved here and last time I spoke to immigration (a few weeks ago) they told me nt to expect this letter for another 3 months. Is it possible to move this interview by a few days? It says all over it that i must appear (which i will even if i have to lose out on my pre paid vacation that has no refund availble) so I'm scared to ask for a reschedual. YIKES

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi, regarding to your post. I have a question. When you sent in your application on November 14th, what documents did you send as evidence of bonafide marriage since you don't have enough proof?

I ask because we are preparing to send in our application and my spouse and I don't have much except for a few pictures. We currently live with my brother, our plan is that when I get my EAD we will find a new place. :)

Thanks and congratulations on your green-card approval! :)

Your profile shows F-1, so is that the visa you are adjusting from? The poster of this thread is adjusting from a K-1 visa and did not need to file an I-130, which is the form that requires proof of bona fide relationship when initially filing.

OP> They are usually understanding that you don't have much joint/co-mingling proof for AOS. Take the proof of your joint bank account. Did you file joint 2014 taxes yet? Use a copy of that. IDs showing same address? Lease or mortgage in both names? Joint insurances of any kind? Listed as beneficiaries of each other for insurances of any kind?

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Your profile shows F-1, so is that the visa you are adjusting from? The poster of this thread is adjusting from a K-1 visa and did not need to file an I-130, which is the form that requires proof of bona fide relationship when initially filing.

OP> They are usually understanding that you don't have much joint/co-mingling proof for AOS. Take the proof of your joint bank account. Did you file joint 2014 taxes yet? Use a copy of that. IDs showing same address? Lease or mortgage in both names? Joint insurances of any kind? Listed as beneficiaries of each other for insurances of any kind?

Hi, thanks for your response, yes I am F1 and out of status so I have no form of Identification yet.

We only have photos and notarized letters from friends and family. My passport is expired so she couldn't add me to her bank account (no ID). We got married just a month ago and the address we have is that of relative because we live with him at the moment.

I plan to include only as much as I have (which in reality isn't much). But between when I get ead and my interview I will put together as much as I can.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Ok. So, I found more joint things to show. We have joint bank account for awhile now. I filed our taxes jointly (even though he didn't work at all) and made a copy of that paperwork. We have a joint lease agreement at our apartment. He got a state ID with our address and I have my license to show for same address. I also have him on my dental insurance which shows his name on my card and he has his own card. Then pictures. I hope this will satisfy them!

Hi, thanks for your response, yes I am F1 and out of status so I have no form of Identification yet.

We only have photos and notarized letters from friends and family. My passport is expired so she couldn't add me to her bank account (no ID). We got married just a month ago and the address we have is that of relative because we live with him at the moment.

I plan to include only as much as I have (which in reality isn't much). But between when I get ead and my interview I will put together as much as I can.

Thanks!

Hello there! When is/was your interview? I pray everything goes ok for you guys! Our interview is Thursday eeeek! :)

I got my Appointment letter today too! I am worried though as it is schedualed when I am suppose to be away in Vegas for 4 nights, It's the first time ive planned going away at all since i moved here and last time I spoke to immigration (a few weeks ago) they told me nt to expect this letter for another 3 months. Is it possible to move this interview by a few days? It says all over it that i must appear (which i will even if i have to lose out on my pre paid vacation that has no refund availble) so I'm scared to ask for a reschedual. YIKES

Sorry, I am not sure about rescheduling rules! :( I hope you were able to figure it out?

Sorry to hear :( Have you heard anything as of late? Our interview is Thursday. So nervous! Made copies of everything, just need to run and print some pictures this week before we go lol! ahhhhh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you!!

Haven't even been to Social Security to change my last name!!! Guess I will do that on Friday

Print out whatever photos you do have. We took about 20 that the interviewer kept as well as out wedding album which she did not keep. We also had the last two bank statements, 2014 taxes, updated beneficiary forms, health insurance, etc. my wife also brought her driving permit, EAD, and passport. The interviewer made copies of all.

But most of all relax. The Detroit office staff was very friendly, and our interviewer was very nice. We were interviewed together, and not separated. The interviewer verified the 485 almost line-for-line including all the yes/no questions, then asked us about our story which she let both of us relate. Overall, about 10-15 minutes in the actual interview.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

One last thing, we did not receive a decision at the time of the interview. From what I have read here, that is fairly common, but seems to depend on the interviewer. Don't be discouraged, or disappointed if that happens to you. Our interviewer all be said we were approved when she started talking about needing to do the ROC process in two years less 90 days, but told us she needed to review the package in detail before a decision (most likely a review with a supervisor as well). We got our approval via text and the USCIS site two days later (and had a nice celebration) and received the written notice about six days later.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

One last thing, we did not receive a decision at the time of the interview. From what I have read here, that is fairly common, but seems to depend on the interviewer. Don't be discouraged, or disappointed if that happens to you. Our interviewer all be said we were approved when she started talking about needing to do the ROC process in two years less 90 days, but told us she needed to review the package in detail before a decision (most likely a review with a supervisor as well). We got our approval via text and the USCIS site two days later (and had a nice celebration) and received the written notice about six days later.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your response! It made me feel a lot better!!! :D I'll make sure not to panic hehe

Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.