franklinadamau

Income tax return issues...urgent advice needed plz

52 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Guys please I need your help urgently.

My wife a green card holder is petitioning for me and we got married in our home country.

I've never travelled to the United States.

My petition has been approved and sent to NVC.

She was about filling for her income tax return weeks ago and I then told her she need to change her status to married in the form because i felt it wont make sense of me taking the income tax return form to the embassy during interview and her status will reflect that she's single.

We got married January last year

Guys please i'm I right or wrong here?

Heres where the problem starts

She went to process and income tax return today hoping to be successful for her to be reimbursed as usual but the agent told her she won't be reimburse because she filled in her form that shes married and her husband(me) is not resident of the US.

She was hoping to be reimburse over 3000USD and now shes blaming me.

Im really feeling confused and guilty about it...Perhaps she would have filled the form as single

My second question is; during my visa interview, would the embassy accept her income tax return reflecting single when she married to me?

Urgently help needed plz

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You're married, the only options for her filing is 1) married filing jointly 2) married filing separately. It does not matter where you are, once you are married, she has to file as married. Obviously at the interview you need to show that she filed her taxes as married.

K-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate: Mumbai, India

Met at University in UK: 2010

Engaged in India: 03/31/2014

I-129F Sent: 06/20/2014

NOA1: 06/25/2014

NOA2: 12/16/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 12/23/2014

Case Sent to NVC: 12/23/2014

NVC Case Number Assigned: 01/05/2015

Case Sent to Consulate: 01/08/2015

Case "Ready" at Consulate: 01/09/2015

Applied for PCC: 01/20/2015

PCC in hand: 02/23/2015

Medical: 01/23/2015

Completed DS-160 and paid visa fee: 02/20/2015

Interview: 03/13/2015 APPROVED :)--> Same day went into AP

Visa "issued" on CEAC webstie: 03/16/2015

:goofy: :goofy: Visa in hand! 03/18/2015 :goofy::goofy:

POE: 06/04/2015 :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

AOS Journey

06.11.2015- City Hall Wedding

06.29.2015- Mailed AOS Package

07.01.2015 - Package Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

07.02.2015- Date Received as per USCIS

07.09.2015- NOA1 for EAD/AP

07.24.2015- RFE :ranting:

08.13.2015- USCIS accepted RFE response

09.08.2015- EAD received

Waiting for the interview :clock:

12.19.2015 WE GOT THE GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!!!! No interview :)

ROC

10.25.2017 ROC packet received by VT Service Center

11.02.2017- Received NOA dated 10.26.2017

11.29.17- Completed Biometrics

Waiting for the interview :clock:

Timeline

You're married, the only options for her filing is 1) married filing jointly 2) married filing separately. It does not matter where you are, once you are married, she has to file as married. Obviously at the interview you need to show that she filed her taxes as married.

Thanks alot for your response.

I don't really know much about this tax return issue...

But.. Since I've never been to the United States, Which is advisable for her to file. Jointly or separately?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Does she have dependents and is hoping to get the earned income credit (EIC)? It may be possible for her to file as "Head of Household". It would allow her a higher exemption and opportunity for the EIC. This is from the IRS site:

Nonresident alien spouse. You are considered unmarried for head of household purposes if your spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year and you do not choose to treat your nonresident spouse as a resident alien. However, your spouse is not a qualifying person for head of household purposes. You must have another qualifying person and meet the other tests to be eligible to file as a head of household.

Timeline

Does she have dependents and is hoping to get the earned income credit (EIC)? It may be possible for her to file as "Head of Household". It would allow her a higher exemption and opportunity for the EIC. This is from the IRS site:

Nonresident alien spouse. You are considered unmarried for head of household purposes if your spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year and you do not choose to treat your nonresident spouse as a resident alien. However, your spouse is not a qualifying person for head of household purposes. You must have another qualifying person and meet the other tests to be eligible to file as a head of household.

Thanks... She actually stays with two of her siblings and a niece. They share the financial responsibility of the house.

Does that mean she should have filled as SINGLE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

It is potentially possible. Here is the link to what qualifies as Head of Household with a non-resident alien spouse. She should read it and see.

If she can file that way, it would not be as "single". There is an option on the tax form for "head of household".

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad---Head-of-Household

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Who claims the niece as a dependent on their taxes ? Probably one of the siblings. So she is NOT head of household. She needs to file for an IITN number for you If you made little money you can file jointly and you have to report your world wide income. http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxpayer-Identification-Numbers-(TIN) Read this it is helpful https://americansabroad.org/issues/taxation/us-tax-implications-of-a-non-american-spouse/

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Who claims the niece as a dependent on their taxes ? Probably one of the siblings. So she is NOT head of household. She needs to file for an IITN number for you If you made little money you can file jointly and you have to report your world wide income. http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxpayer-Identification-Numbers-(TIN) Read this it is helpful https://americansabroad.org/issues/taxation/us-tax-implications-of-a-non-american-spouse/

i'd say

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

Her younger sister is the mother of the niece. I think her younger sister has filled for her tax return and must have definitely put her daughter as a dependent.

My wife carries majority of the financial responsibilities, can she still file and make her sisters daughter her dependent?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Only one person can claim someone as a dependent if the sister already has then your wife can't. Did you read the material in the second link.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Only one person can claim someone as a dependent if the sister already has then your wife can't. Did you read the material in the second link.

Yeah I read it. But still have a question though. Thanks

I think going through joint married with spouse living abroad will be too cumbersome

So my question is what's the benefit of the quote below

"If you file as married, separate AND your spouse has no income from sources within the US AND is not claimed as a dependent of another US taxpayer, you CAN claim an exemption for your NRA spouse (See IRS Publication 17). You need to be sure to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification number for your spouse before filing the return."

If there's no benefit we can easily write NRA

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yeah I read it. But still have a question though. Thanks

I think going through joint married with spouse living abroad will be too cumbersome

So my question is what's the benefit of the quote below

"If you file as married, separate AND your spouse has no income from sources within the US AND is not claimed as a dependent of another US taxpayer, you CAN claim an exemption for your NRA spouse (See IRS Publication 17). You need to be sure to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification number for your spouse before filing the return."

If there's no benefit we can easily write NRA

Nothing wrong with your questions or wanting to be involved but you are trying to make sense of the American tax laws having spent no time studying them.

Begin with obtaining the ITN number. During the wait there is time to figure out taxes.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Guys please I need your help urgently.

My wife a green card holder is petitioning for me and we got married in our home country.

I've never travelled to the United States.

My petition has been approved and sent to NVC.

She was about filling for her income tax return weeks ago and I then told her she need to change her status to married in the form because i felt it wont make sense of me taking the income tax return form to the embassy during interview and her status will reflect that she's single.

We got married January last year

Guys please i'm I right or wrong here?

I don't think you were wrong telling her that since you two are married and she has to file her taxes as married( "filing jointly" or "filing separtely")

Heres where the problem starts

She went to process and income tax return today hoping to be successful for her to be reimbursed as usual but the agent told her she won't be reimburse because she filled in her form that shes married and her husband(me) is not resident of the US.

Maybe the agent she saw is not familiar with taxes when the spouse is not living in the US and does not have a SSN or ITIN. I had exactly the same situation as you had, but I finally went to someone who knew about this and she suggested I file "married filing separately" and later on once my spouse obtains a SSN and she is living here in the US, we can re-file our tax returns as "married filing jointly" (there is a window of 3 years that you can re-file and adjust your tax return). Also the advantage of filing "married filing separately" is that your wife does not have to obtain an ITIN number for you right now. She wont be able to claim you as a dependent or get a deduction for you, but you can get this fix once you are in the US and you have a SSN and you both can re-file the taxes within the 3 year window. This is what I understood from my tax advisor.

She was hoping to be reimburse over 3000USD and now shes blaming me.

Im really feeling confused and guilty about it...Perhaps she would have filled the form as single

Not a good idea to file as single as she is married and should file as such.

My second question is; during my visa interview, would the embassy accept her income tax return reflecting single when she married to me?

There has been posts here on VJ that some people show their tax documents and were okay showing single, but is not the correct way to do it. Some other people were caught doing that and it delay their cases longer and where in AP until they could fix the problem. You both are married and she should be filing as married (jointly or separately) to avoid further delays that can arise from not doing it correctly.

Urgently help needed plz

She should seek a tax agent who is familiar with this. I used H&R block, and not all agents were familiar with this process of filing and I had to go to a different office, so my advise is for your wife to find someone familiar with this.

If she used a tax calculator online thinking she could claim you as a dependent and get a 3000 USD reimbursement, that could be the problem.

In order for her to claim you as a dependant, you have to file jointly and you have to have documents (ITIN) etc in order to file together. Otherwise if she files married filing separately she would not get the deduction for you.

I AM NOT A TAX ADVISOR ;-), I am just guessing your circunstances why she may think she should expect a reimbursement of 3000 USD on her return.

Get proffesional help how to propertly file your taxes, otherwise it can get messy.

Good luck to both of you!!!

Edited by cocolucho

*The material presented is intended for general information only and does not constitute legal advice*

USCIS - IR1/CR1 Wife/IR2 Daughter - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

12/03/2013 -- I-130s Sent, 12/06/2013 -- I-130s Received                                           12/13/2013 -- I-129F Sent, 12/16/2013 -- I-129F Received           

12/10/2013 -- I-130s NOA1 Hard copies received from VSC                                         12/20/2013 -- I-129F NOA1 Hard copy from VSC           

06/05/2014 -- I-130s Alien Registration Numbers Changed                                           02/12/2014 -- I-129F Transferred from VSC to TSC hard copy                                       

06/09/2014 -- I-130s RFE Emails, 06/12/2014 -- I-130s RFE Hard copies received       02/25/2014 -- I-129F Alien Registration Number Changed

06/16/2014 -- I-130s RFE Response received                                                              07/11/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 email (207 days)

09/25/2014 -- I-130 NOA2 Emails 290 days                                                                 07/16/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 Hard copy received and sent to NVC        

NVC - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

07-29-2014 -- NVC received I129F                                                                           

07-31-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

08-01-2014 -- Left NVC in route to Embassy in Lima

Embassy - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

08-07-2014 -- Embassy in Lima received case from NVC                                        

08-07-2014 -- Received email interview letter and packet IV

08-18-2014 -- Completed DS-160 online                                                                 

08-21-2014 -- Medical & Vaccination completed

09-03-2014 -- Interview (Approved)                                                                        

09-05-2014 -- Visa Issued (CEAC website)

09-10-2014 -- Visa in hand                                                                                      

09-18-2014 -- Dulles VA

USCIS - AOS Wife/Daughter

12/10/2014 -- I-485 Sent - including I-765                                                            

12/11/2014 -- I-485 Received

12/16/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Received email                                             

12/20/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Hard copies received

01/09/2015 -- I-485 and I-765 Biometrics appointment                                       

01/14/2015 -- I-485 Ready for interview

02/02/2015 -- I-485 Interview notification received                                             

02/14/2015 -- I-765 Approved - EAD card production email and text

02/24/2015 -- I-765 EAD card received                                                              

03/12/2015 -- I-485 Interview Date (APPROVED)

03/17/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Welcome letters received                                               

03/21/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Green Cards received :dance:

USCIS - ROC Wife/Daughter

01/12/2017 -- I-751 Sent

01/17/2017 -- I-751 NOA Received for wife and daughter

02/23/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Biometrics Appointment for wife and daughter

12/26/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Approved for wife and daughter

Timeline

Thanks.... Well explained.

Funny enough after trying to fill as joint married without success the agent then advised her to file as single which she did.

I just spoke to my wife explaining every to her and she said she'll have to look for another agent and correct the mistake before April 15th.

Thanks alot

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.