dhman2006

Thoroughly confused. Need some advice/ Suggestion

26 posts in this topic

I'm new to this type of immigration related thing. So I'd really appreciate if someone can give me some direction / suggestion regarding my situation. So here's my story:

I recently got engaged overseas (Bangladesh), but we won't get married til February of 2017 as my fiance won't finish her med school til then. As soon as she's done we want to start living together by bringing her here. From what I understand the best options are R-1, K3, and K1.

Now, I've never heard a Bangladeshi couple filing for K-1 and not sure what the usual success rate is for a K-1 visa. I have read online that K-1 is a little "riskier" than conventional R-1 or K-3 visas. What is the validity of that information?

From what I've read K-1 is usually the fastest taking somewhere between 6-10 months, R-1/ K-3 take somewhere between 12-18 months. Now, my questions are:

1) How risky is K1? Should I be moving forward with a K1 visa application if we don't want to get married for 2 more years?

2) If K1 is indeed riskier than K3 or R1, should we get married by December of this year? So basically we forget about K1 and move forward with R1/K3.

So basically all I want is bring her here as soon as she's done with school in February of 2017 and I am wondering given my situation what the best option would be?

~~moved from K1 process and procedures to what visa do I need as OP is debating visa paths~~

There is no R-1 visa. It is an IR1 or a CR1 depending on the length of marriage when the beneficiary enters the USA (referred to as POE.)

Don't do a K1 visa until you plan to be married. So file it in about a year because they traditionally only take 6-10 months from start to finish (filing the petition to visa.) You need to be married with 90 days of the beneficiary entering the USA but they normally have 6 months from the medical date in which to enter the USA.

The risk of the K1 doesn't come from the visa, it comes from the fact that the beneficiary doesn't have many rights upon entry to the USA. They need to adjust their status after marriage and until that goes through, they do not have a green card.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

~~moved from K1 process and procedures to what visa do I need as OP is debating visa paths~~

There is no R-1 visa. It is an IR1 or a CR1 depending on the length of marriage when the beneficiary enters the USA (referred to as POE.)

Don't do a K1 visa until you plan to be married. So file it in about a year because they traditionally only take 6-10 months from start to finish (filing the petition to visa.) You need to be married with 90 days of the beneficiary entering the USA but they normally have 6 months from the medical date in which to enter the USA.

The risk of the K1 doesn't come from the visa, it comes from the fact that the beneficiary doesn't have many rights upon entry to the USA. They need to adjust their status after marriage and until that goes through, they do not have a green card.

Hello,

Thanks for your prompt response. I really appreciate it. So in terms of getting the visa, K1 isn't really riskier compared to IR1/CR1 as long as I have enough evidence to support our relationship?

Also we need to get married upon entry into the US and apply for AOS, is that correct? Also will she be able to get SSN upon entry because as far as I know in order to get married in Massachusetts we need to apply for a marriage license which requires SSN from both parties.

Also what is the average time to acquire green card upon marriage and change of status?

In some countries it can be harder to get a K1 but mostly it's because of the sponsorship issue. An embassy or consulate does not have to accept a co-sponsor for a K1 visa but they must accept a joint sponsor for a CR1/IR1 visa because it is a legally binding document. That same document (the I-864) is used later in the adjustment of status in a K1 visa beneficiary. But yes, providing all the proof etc necessary is really what you need.

Yes once she is in the USA she should immediately get an SSN under her visa name. She can change it later to her married name after her EAD arrives (work permit.)

However make sure you talk to your fiancee about all of this. Maybe she wants to get married where all of her friends and family can be there. Maybe not working for 3-4 months upon arrival to the USA will be a hardship she isn't willing to undertake. It's REALLY REALLY boring if you're used to being busy or working. Discuss all the pros and cons (including cost) with her so that your start your life together how you want to, not just "the fastest visa"

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It is my understanding it can take up to 12 months to get your green card after marriage plus more money. If it was me knowing what I know now, I would get civilly married as soon as possible. (You can still have your religous celebration in February, 2017) Then I would start the CR1/IR1 14-18 months before she wants to come to the USA. Then she will have her green card as soon as she get here. BONUS: If you have been married for two years upon her entry, she will have a ten years instead of two years on her visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It was mentioned on another thread that Muslim parents would not allow a daughter to travel un wed.

There is a R visa but probably not relevant.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It was mentioned on another thread that Muslim parents would not allow a daughter to travel un wed.

There is a R visa but probably not relevant.

We are both Buddhist and her parents are ok with it as far as I know.

It is my understanding it can take up to 12 months to get your green card after marriage plus more money. If it was me knowing what I know now, I would get civilly married as soon as possible. (You can still have your religous celebration in February, 2017) Then I would start the CR1/IR1 14-18 months before she wants to come to the USA. Then she will have her green card as soon as she get here. BONUS: If you have been married for two years upon her entry, she will have a ten years instead of two years on her visa.

Would it be ok if we get married outside of the country? We are planning on visiting Italy this September since her dad lives there. Would it be ok if we got married there and send appropriate documents to USCIS/ NVC while applying for an IR1? Or will that complicate the situation since none of us are Italian citizen (I'm a US citizen and she's a Bangladeshi citizen). Does having a secret clearance for my employment eases the situation?

You can get married wherever you want.

No having secret clearance doesn't help you.

You can get married wherever you want.

No having secret clearance doesn't help you.

So if we get married in Italy, will we need documents from Italy or from Bangladesh? Also if we get the documents in Italy will they be accepted by USCIS?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

So if we get married in Italy, will we need documents from Italy or from Bangladesh? Also if we get the documents in Italy will they be accepted by USCIS?

if you marry in Italia, all you will need from there is a the marriage certificate from the relevant issuing authority. When you submit the petition USCIS, you will only submit a photocopy of the certificate. Furthermore, if the certificate is in Italian language only, then an English translation will be required.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

I love the idea of getting married in Italy! Perfect! Check that getting married in Italy is a possibility. Some countries have residency requirements.

Get several offical copies of your marriage certificate and an official transaltion of the that document with a letter from the place doing the translating that they are certified translators.

Be sure every time the two of you are together, you pick out 4-12 pictures that represent your time together. Caption them. Put this with plane itneraries, hotel receipts, etc. This will save you time when you go to put your evidence of a bona relationship together.

Good luck!!

Edited by Crystal Klein

Filed: Other Country: Liechtenstein
Timeline

I love the idea of getting married in Italy! Perfect! Check that getting married in Italy is a possibility. Some countries have residency requirements.

Get several official copies of your marriage certificate and an official transaltion of the that document with a letter from the place doing the translating that they are certified translators.

Be sure every time the two of you are together, you pick out 4-12 pictures that represent your time together. Caption them. Put this with plane itineraries, hotel receipts, etc. This will save you time when you go to put your evidence of a bona relationship together.

Good luck!!

Just be sure to get in your marriage certificate the " apostille de la Haya" its a requirement that will allow you to present any italian document in any american authorities and be recognized as good.

Apostille is a French word (pronounced "ah-poh-steel"), meaning a certificate issued by a government of a country, authenticating the signature and or seal of a public official on a public document issued by that country, and intended for use in a foreign country.

USCIS does not require foreign documents to be apostilled.

Also, no US state requires you to have a social security number in order to obtain a marriage licence.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.