dwightcharles

Can I enter the United States with a Philippine Passport expiring in less than 6 months as a Permanent Resident w/ Green Card?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys. I am Dwight and a Permanent Resident of the United States and I am a Filipino citizen.

I really don't know what to feel right now. I think I am gonna be sick.

I was so excited to come home to the Philippines FOR THE FIRST time since I moved to the United States. I wanted to be home for Cebu's Sinulog where I am from and see my friends, eat the food (the struggle is real), and just be there even for a short while. I've been homesick since my first day here.

So earlier I called Cebu Pacific to book a roundtrip flight. I was super ready. As in Super ready that I designed a t-shirt for my friends and I to wear during Sinulog. I contacted a silk screen printer to do it and all. When I was about to give the rep my credit card information, she told me what later on caused my heart to be crushed into bits and pieces.

"Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months to travel"

I just went blank for a moment and saw images of my plans falling apart.

My passport is expiring April 29, 2015 which is apx 4 months away. It is NOT expired. I did a lot of research about this and found out that I can actually enter the Philippines with my current passport because Bureau of Immigration doesnt have any passport requirements for Filipino citizens entering the country, just as long as its valid upon arrival.

However, I read on New York's embassy that I might have a problem flying back to the US because the Philippines require that passports need to have 6 months validity for travel abroad.

Does this apply to me though? I mean I am already a permanent resident and I have my green card.

Also I already renewed my passport last November 20th but it takes a minimum of 8 weeks to get the card. I still have my current passport because I am a flight attendant and I need it for my job at all times.

So I still have a valid passport in hand, expiring april 29th which is more than 60 days.

Guys have u tried this? I really wanna go back home. I miss the Philippines so much.

Can I really not fly back to the US with my passport? Will Philippine airport security not let me board my fight because of this?

Please help me. I already emailed BOI and each minute that passes i get more and more frustrated because the longer I wait the more expensive the air fare gets and im sure they wont respond until normal business hours or worse after the holiday season.

:(

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It should not apply to you, because you are a greencard holder, not dependent on a visa. Trying to convince the airline of that may be harder....

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

A permanent resident does not need to present their passport to enter the US, only their valid green card. Of course, that doesn't stop a lot of CBP officers asking for it anyway, but if you refuse they could not deny you entry because of it.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

if you can enter PI.. you will be lucky... then just renew your passport here.. expedite will just be 15 days if regional offices.. or better yet...you can just have an extension stamp on your passport.

i have read somewhere that they can stamp 1 year extension on you passport...

enjoy SINULOG.. PIT SENOR :D

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think it is highly dependent on the airline you are using. They are the ones that would need your passport validity the most. Since you have ordered a new passport, why not wait for it then and order your ticket? You might miss Sinulog but you just have to wing it. If you can enter PI with your current passport, how are you getting the previously renewed one from here in the US? Your best bet would be to renew again in the PI. Just have to check in with airlines if they will carry with an almost expired passport.

Edited by emmandenn

From a government immigration standpoint, I think you are fine. You are a returning citizen with a valid passport and when you return the the US you have a valid Green Card. I think your problem will be finding an airline employee who understands the situation and will not blindly enforce the 6 month validity requirement.

The reason the airlines are so strict on this is that if a passenger is refused entry at the destination because the entry requirements were not validated, they can be fined and are responsible for the return transportation.

In your situation I don't believe you will be refused entry in the Philippines or when returning to the United States...but if the airline employee is not sure about that, they may deny boarding on your outbound flight.

Timeline

I think it is highly dependent on the airline you are using. They are the ones that would need your passport validity the most. Since you have ordered a new passport, why not wait for it then and order your ticket? You might miss Sinulog but you just have to wing it. If you can enter PI with your current passport, how are you getting the previously renewed one from here in the US? Your best bet would be to renew again in the PI. Just have to check in with airlines if they will carry with an almost expired passport.

I still have my passport which is expiring April 2015. I'm a flight attendant and I need to have my passport with me at all times. So at the consular office when I renewed my passport, I told them about my situation and they allowed to me keep my passport and surrender it when the "renewed" one arrives.

I am not sure if this answers your question but yeah.

Timeline

From a government immigration standpoint, I think you are fine. You are a returning citizen with a valid passport and when you return the the US you have a valid Green Card. I think your problem will be finding an airline employee who understands the situation and will not blindly enforce the 6 month validity requirement.

The reason the airlines are so strict on this is that if a passenger is refused entry at the destination because the entry requirements were not validated, they can be fined and are responsible for the return transportation.

In your situation I don't believe you will be refused entry in the Philippines or when returning to the United States...but if the airline employee is not sure about that, they may deny boarding on your outbound flight.

That's what I thought too. And my sister called the immigration in the Philippines for me and they told her, the 6 months validity only applies to citizens who wish to travel abroad as tourists and since I am a permanent resident, that won't apply to me.

However, when I get to Hong Kong because I connect there to Cebu on a different airline, I would need to go down to baggage claim and go through security again right? Will I go through customs/immigration too? Even if Hong Kong is just my transit city?

Renew your passport in the PI while you are there.

When you return you don't use a passport anyhow, you use a green card.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

That's what I thought too. And my sister called the immigration in the Philippines for me and they told her, the 6 months validity only applies to citizens who wish to travel abroad as tourists and since I am a permanent resident, that won't apply to me.

However, when I get to Hong Kong because I connect there to Cebu on a different airline, I would need to go down to baggage claim and go through security again right? Will I go through customs/immigration too? Even if Hong Kong is just my transit city?

If you are flying "partner" or "codeshare" flights, then I would expect your bags to be checked to your final destination and there would be no reason for you to claim your baggage in Hong Kong. You should be a transit passenger and should not be required to go through any customs/immigration in HK. If they are two completely separate reservations, then you may need to recheck the baggage. I am not sure if you would be required to go through immigration and customs for a simple airline transfer, you need to check with the airline.

With that said, your passport would be checked prior to boarding on Cebu Pacific and they may give you a hard time. I just don't know.

I've done this and the problem was the airline AND customs at the NAIA. It took hours of talking to several people and finally I was able to get through... just barely making my flight back home to the USA. It isn't impossible, but be prepared for a lot of questions. Go to the airport several hours (I'd recommend at least 5 hours before your flight). It is a lot of headache trying to board your flight to the USA. Once you're home in the US, it's easy as pie. Show them your green card and you're welcomed home.

I would wait for your passport. I think missing Sinulog this year is worth sparing you the headache or being stuck longer than you'd like at the most horrible airport in the world.

All you have to do it renew you filipino passport when you are "in country." No worries...

Have a great trip and take lots of pics and videos.

Best of luck!

Timeline

If you are flying "partner" or "codeshare" flights, then I would expect your bags to be checked to your final destination and there would be no reason for you to claim your baggage in Hong Kong. You should be a transit passenger and should not be required to go through any customs/immigration in HK. If they are two completely separate reservations, then you may need to recheck the baggage. I am not sure if you would be required to go through immigration and customs for a simple airline transfer, you need to check with the airline.

With that said, your passport would be checked prior to boarding on Cebu Pacific and they may give you a hard time. I just don't know.

Thank you so much btw! I really appreciate all the information you provided.

I already received an email from the Bureau of Immigration. This is their response:

Greetings. A foreign traveler seeking entry into the Philippines must have a passport valid for at least six (6) months upon the date of arrival. This is provided for in BI Office Memorandum Order No. RADJR-013, issued pursuant to the Department of Foreign Affairs Foreign Service Circular No. 21-10 dated 22 February 2010.

The following are exempt from this rule:

i. Philippine Passport holders

ii. Former Filipinos and their dependents (i.e., immediate family members)

iii. Permanent Residents and other special visa categories requiring temporary residence (with valid ACR I-Cards)

iv. Holders of diplomatic, official and government passports

v. Holders of visas under Sections 9 (except Sec. 9(a)) and 47 of the Philippine Immigration Act

vi. Holders of Special Non-Immigrant Visas under special laws

If you will be travelling back to the United States and possess a permanent resident card then the 6 months validity is no longer needed. The 6 months validity is only needed for those who have tourist visas. Thank you. ren

I also asked them if this law overrides the "policy" of Cebu Pacific and this is their response:

The information provided to you has a legal basis. Airline companies should also be aware of Immigration Laws and Policies of the Philippines and the United States of America.

I personally do not understand why I, a citizen of the Philippines would be denied the privilege of entering my own country just because of a "policy" of Cebu Pacific which does not even correspond with the Philippine Bureau of Immigration Laws and Policies.

I have no problems with the Immigration in the Philippines, US, or even HK.

It is Cebu Pacific that is giving me a headache. :C WHEW

Timeline

I just thought about this but can I actually go to DC and request for a passport extension?

Will they even grant me one?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It was more of a rhetorical question but it seems you really have set your mind in going despite the passport issue.totally understandable since so many Filipinos would want to go back but like I said, you should ask your airline company that you'll be traveling with if they'd take you. Since you are a flight attendant you should be more than capable to know. As what others have said, Consular don't seem to mind. Maybe just bring proof that you have renewed your passport and is just waiting for delivery or something to that extent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.