billy0227

Can you travel domestically within US using a VALID passport alone with NO VISA on it?(merged)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I came to US legally as a F-1 student visa holder for 4 years, no criminal records, arrests, or even bad driving records. None of those bad records at all. However, i got some family issues that i ended up getting away from home and living alone making my F-1 visa expired since i'm not going to school, i had my driver's license valid for a year more after i ran away from home, after that i didn't got a chance to renew it as i was scared to do so, plus it may require me to submit proof of evidence that i am studying in order to renew it, which i can't since i stopped going to school.

It has been 2 years now after my driver's license was expired. Meaning to say, i have been living illegally now for 2 years though i have lived legally presence for 5 years in US before that.

My question now is, i'm living in California and i have a girlfriend that lives in Boston, she visits me from time to time here. We plan to get married soon but its kind of shady to get married when i never met her parents yet since they live in Boston and parents just won't come to visit a fiance LOL, and so, i plan to visit her in Boston. Since there is a new passed law in California called AB60 that will allow illegal immigrants to get a driver's license to drive legally, is it possible to use it as an ID to travel domestically within US? If not, i do have VALID foreign-passport that was reissued last year (2013) but has nothing on it, no visa etc, only my personal information. Will that foreign-passport alone is good to travel?

I do not plan to travel out of the country, i just basically want to visit my girlfriend in Boston from California to meet her and her parents, get bonded until she moves here in California with me and possibly get married. An answer from an experienced person that had the same experience before is greatly appreciated or at least someone who has the knowledge on this kind of matter.

You can travel within the US without an issue just using your passport, or any other typr of government issued ID, State ID, or Drivers License, all the airline needs to do is match name with name on ticket.

Do stay away from borders since there usually secondary checkpoints after border crossings.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Timeline

You can travel within the US without an issue just using your passport, or any other typr of government issued ID, State ID, or Drivers License, all the airline needs to do is match name with name on ticket.

Do stay away from borders since there usually secondary checkpoints after border crossings.

Wouldn't they ask for ID like driver's license? I do have been issued a driver's license but it was already expired. But then again my foreign passport is still valid until 2017 and just been reissued last year. Will they not look for any valid visa under it since its a foreign passport and not a US passport?

Wouldn't they ask for ID like driver's license? I do have been issued a driver's license but it was already expired. But then again my foreign passport is still valid until 2017 and just been reissued last year. Will they not look for any valid visa under it since its a foreign passport and not a US passport?

Your passport is an universal ID document. Airlines and TSA do not care about your immigration status unless you are entering or leaving the country, all they require to do is verify that the purcharser of that ticket is the person on that flight.

I suggest you do not show your expired DL to avoid issues, whatever identification you use has to be valid.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Your passport is an universal ID document. Airlines and TSA do not care about your immigration status unless you are entering or leaving the country, all they require to do is verify that the purcharser of that ticket is the person on that flight.

I suggest you do not show your expired DL to avoid issues, whatever identification you use has to be valid.

Every time I've traveled domestically with my foreign passport, the TSA agent always flips to my visa page. Once, when we were traveling from NJ to FL, friend of mine who's a dual US/Colombia citizen decided to use his brand new Colombian passport as identification. The TSA agent wouldn't let him through because the passport didn't contain a valid US visa, and he had to pull out his US passport and explain the situation.

Jose & Eli, has your experience been different?

Timeline

Every time I've traveled domestically with my foreign passport, the TSA agent always flips to my visa page. Once, when we were traveling from NJ to FL, friend of mine who's a dual US/Colombia citizen decided to use his brand new Colombian passport as identification. The TSA agent wouldn't let him through because the passport didn't contain a valid US visa, and he had to pull out his US passport and explain the situation.

Jose & Eli, has your experience been different?

Are there always TSA agent who checks it on domestic flights?

I have never tried and so i'm curious on how actually it works, i just really want to visit my girlfriend and get bonded over time.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

TSA does random checks. I was flying Tampa to NYC and there was a TSA agent sitting in the tunnel going to the plane asking for ID and ticket. However there was also an announcement over the PA systems advising that TSA would be doing random checks.

Here in Yuma AZ, and border citie airport like Nogales, AZ or McAllen, TX... Beside TSA, CBP officers walk around and ask for your immigrant status (visa, green card...) So if you are not traveling border cities, you should be fine. But there is no guarantee at all you would not have any troubles.

Google Jose Antonio Vargas. He was detained in McAllen, TX when flying with Philippines Passport only.

http://time.com/2987520/jose-antonio-vargas-detained-at-mcallen-texas-border-town/

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Are there always TSA agent who checks it on domestic flights?

I have never tried and so i'm curious on how actually it works, i just really want to visit my girlfriend and get bonded over time.

Yeah, there's usually an agent who checks your ID and boarding pass right before you get into the security check line. As other commenters have mentioned, they are mainly looking to confirm your identity, but there's nothing to stop them from questioning your immigration status if they have reason to do so (like the lack of a visa in the passport you use). The process is different - and less stringent - than when you enter/exit via an international flight. Driver's licenses and other state IDs can usually be used.

The TSA is only checking your ID and the fact you have a valid boarding pass so you have a reason to enter the secure area. Here is a list of the documents you can us as ID. No where does it state valid visa or other documents to indicate immigration status. The TSA is not in charge of immigration. That falls to the CBP. They could be standing around and randomly check your immigration status at the TSA checkpoint, but I have never seen it. You just show them your foreign passport. If they ask you any questions about your immigration status you can simply ask them if there is a problem with your ID or that the passport is new and the visa is/was in the old passport. Yes, they can call for a LEO who then may call for the CBP, but when my wife and MIL used their passports to travel to NY there was no problems and the TSA agent only looked at the bio page. Avoid getting close to the Southern Border as there are CBP agents inside the US and they will pull you over just to see if you are a USC or LRP.

If you are that worried about flying and getting caught, then you might consider driving--it should only take about 3.5 days.

You should be fine using your passport as it is one of the valid documents listed.

Enjoy your trip,

Dave

Timeline

I came in US legally with an f1 visa on 2007 and have went to school for 4 years, got a valid drivers license by 2010 that is valid for 2 years which expired by 2012. I stopped going to school on 2011 due to a family issue that forced me to work illegally and living on my own.

Since my driver's license expired on 2012, i have been living illegally and out of status since then, 2 years by now.

This year of summer 2014, i have met my girlfriend who happens to be living in Boston, i'm from California.

We have been in daily communication ever since and she have visited me twice and plans to visit again this coming January 2015 with a plan for us to get married so i could move there in Boston for us to live together since i can't go out of state with my current status.

Question is, if we get married then, will that help me adjust my current status to legal without us having problems such as how we can prove the marriage is by faith and not because to fix my status even if our real intention is for us to be together as a married happy couple and settle down?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Similar threads merged. Please do no make multiple threads for the same or similar topic~~

~~Moved to AOS from Work,Tourist and Student visas, from Student & Exchange Visitor Visas- As the OP is also looking into the AOS process.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

~~Similar threads merged. Please do no make multiple threads for the same or similar topic~~

not sure if you read the title nor read the whole content, but it is a totally different question from my previous one. but ok boss -___-

I came in US legally with an f1 visa on 2007 and have went to school for 4 years, got a valid drivers license by 2010 that is valid for 2 years which expired by 2012. I stopped going to school on 2011 due to a family issue that forced me to work illegally and living on my own.

Since my driver's license expired on 2012, i have been living illegally and out of status since then, 2 years by now.

This year of summer 2014, i have met my girlfriend who happens to be living in Boston, i'm from California.

We have been in daily communication ever since and she have visited me twice and plans to visit again this coming January 2015 with a plan for us to get married so i could move there in Boston for us to live together since i can't go out of state with my current status.

Question is, if we get married then, will that help me adjust my current status to legal without us having problems such as how we can prove the marriage is by faith and not because to fix my status even if our real intention is for us to be together as a married happy couple and settle down?

Get married in the US, file for adjustment of statrus (AOS) using the I-485 and the I-130 forms. Do not leave the US without AP or the GC. You entered the US without the intent of staying and adjusting your status, so you are not committing immigration fraud.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.