Janelle2002

ACLU sues over Missouri headlight-flashing ticket

35 posts in this topic

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — The American Civil Liberties Union on Wednesday sued a Kansas City suburb for pulling over a driver for flashing his headlights at oncoming traffic to warn that a speed trap was ahead.

The federal suit was filed on behalf of Jerry L. Jarman Jr., who was ticketed in August in Grain Valley, a town of about 13,000 residents on the eastern edge of Kansas City, for violating a city code that bars against interfering with radar and other speed-checking devices. Ryan Hunt, the interim city administrator for Grain Valley, said he just learned about the lawsuit and was still researching it. He said he couldn't comment about the suit or the ordinance that was being challenged.

The ACLU of Missouri alleges Jarman was "engaged in expressive conduct." The suit said the traffic stop violated his First Amendment right to free speech and Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable search and seizure. Jarman, who lives on the Kansas side of the Kansas City metropolitan area, seeks damages, as well as a court order barring the city from ticketing light-flashing drivers.

The charge was dismissed in October, but the suit said that without a court ruling, Jarman fears he will be penalized in the future. The ACLU said that Jarman wasn't giving interviews.

Earlier this year, a federal judge issued a permanent injunction prohibiting the St. Louis County town of Ellisville from arresting and prosecuting drivers who flash headlights to warn others of nearby police and speed traps.

http://news.yahoo.com/aclu-sues-over-missouri-headlight-flashing-ticket-204636812.html

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Someone got pulled over for violating the law and the ACLU is filing a suit. Sounds about right.

"Drivers are free to use their First Amendment rights to warn others to drive cautiously and should not be punished for their message," said Tony Rothert, legal director of the ACLU of Missouri. "Traffic laws are made to promote safety, not generate revenue."

I'm sure his message was to warn the other motorists to "Drive cautiously" or maybe it was, stop breaking the law there is a speed trap up ahead.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I swear this thing got settled years ago. At least I remember hearing something about it.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

It is posted December the 3rd. Should people be able to caution others to drive carefully especially in the presence of the police or not?

Yes they should. Speeding tickets are little more than another govt. tax.

Timeline

So on top of taxes we should pay the police department and the courts more taxes?

I'd argue that speeding tickets don't reduce the number of people speeding. All they do is put money in to the pockets of the local govts. so they can hire more cops to give more people speeding tickets. What purpose does that serve?

I live litteraly 3 minutes from Grain Valley, Mo. Believe me, this is a nothing little po-dunck town in Missouri desprate for income anyway they can get it.

The whole thing got bllwn out of perportion when the media got ahold of it!

Just let it go

I live litteraly 3 minutes from Grain Valley, Mo. Believe me, this is a nothing little po-dunck town in Missouri desprate for income anyway they can get it.

The whole thing got bllwn out of perportion when the media got ahold of it!

Just let it go

Letting go would be to simple. We like to argue about things on this side of the forum. :thumbs:

I'd argue that speeding tickets don't reduce the number of people speeding. All they do is put money in to the pockets of the local govts. so they can hire more cops to give more people speeding tickets. What purpose does that serve?

speeding tickets aren't the only means of job security.

Good point. If speeding tickets were actually meant to stop speeding, then cops and govco would be all for drivers telling one another to slow down.