LibCampFireClub

The Charles Barkley Rant on Ferguson Grand Jury Decision That You Won’t Believe You’re Just Now Hearing

141 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
What's the matter with this black dude? Didn't he get the Washington memo?
The Charles Barkley Rant on Ferguson Grand Jury Decision That You Won’t Believe You’re Just Now Hearing

During a radio interview late last month, NBA legend Charles Barkley addressed the controversial shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, and revealed where he stands on the incident. Though some might be surprised by Barkley’s honest and blunt comments, it’s more surprising that his remarks are just now gaining widespread attention about a week later.
Barkley claimed the “true story came out of the grand jury investigation.” The Ferguson grand jury ultimately decided not to indict police officer Darren Wilson in the fatal shooting.
The former NBA all-star said he learned of key forensic evidence, and that several black witnesses supported Officer Darren Wilson’s story, forcing him to block out other questionable information he heard on TV.
Listen to part of the interview below via 9.75 The Fanatic:
As for the so-called protesters who rioted and looted in Ferguson following the grand jury decision, Barkley said they are “scumbags” and declared there is “no excuse for people to be out there burning down people’s businesses, burning down police cars.”
“I know I’m black, but I’m always going to try to be honest and fair,” he said of the Ferguson story.
He went on to defend police officers in general, because “it wasn’t for the cops we would be living in the Wild, Wild West in our neighborhoods.”
“We can’t pick out certain incidentals that don’t go our way and act like the cops are all bad,” he continued, later asking, “Do you know how bad some of these neighborhoods would be if it wasn’t for the cops?”
Barkley also excoriated the media over the way stories like the Ferguson shooting are covered. He revealed that he learned a lot of information from the grand jury report that he never heard in the media, including details about an alleged confrontation in Wilson’s police car and blood evidence that suggests Brown was going towards the officer when he was shot.
“I can’t believe anything I hear on television anymore,” he added. “And, that’s why I don’t like talking about race issues with the media anymore, because they love this stuff, and lead people to jump to conclusions. The media shouldn’t do that. They never do that when black people kill each other.”
In the first part of the interview, Barkley also defended past remarks in which he claimed “brainwashed” blacks are currently holding up the progress of black people.
“When you try to do well in school, they tell you you’re acting white. When you speak intelligent, they tell you you’re acting white. We should have more black kids speaking correctly, we should have more black kids going to college and getting great jobs,” he said.
Barkley also said the media fails to report on “good, hardworking black people,” instead giving coverage to “negative black people.”
“That’s what I said, and that’s what I meant,” he said. “I ain’t shutting up, and I ain’t backing down.”
Edited by ExExpat

There are parts to what he said that I can't disagree with:

there is “no excuse for people to be out there burning down people’s businesses, burning down police cars.”

“Do you know how bad some of these neighborhoods would be if it wasn’t for the cops?”

“I can’t believe anything I hear on television anymore,” he added. “And, that’s why I don’t like talking about race issues with the media anymore, because they love this stuff, and lead people to jump to conclusions. The media shouldn’t do that.

the media fails to report on “good, hardworking black people,” instead giving coverage to “negative black people.”

There are parts to what he said that I can't disagree with:

there is “no excuse for people to be out there burning down people’s businesses, burning down police cars.”

“Do you know how bad some of these neighborhoods would be if it wasn’t for the cops?”

“I can’t believe anything I hear on television anymore,” he added. “And, that’s why I don’t like talking about race issues with the media anymore, because they love this stuff, and lead people to jump to conclusions. The media shouldn’t do that.

the media fails to report on “good, hardworking black people,” instead giving coverage to “negative black people.”

I agree with these statements. But it would behoove people to take a deeper look behind why these things happen. Because Exexpat says that black people won't get shot if they obey the law, I posted 4 instances where no law was broken and yet they were still shot.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

life rule #5248: ignore charles barkley

Your list of rules would be much shorter if you had just one rule that was: 'ignore people that I disagree with'

I'm here to streamline your life for you, no charge.

Your list of rules would be much shorter if you had just one rule that was: 'ignore people that I disagree with'

I'm here to streamline your life for you, no charge.

ollie, you so handy!

seriously, it really has little to do with ignoring people i disagree with and more to do with me trying to repress the memory of my seventh grade crush on charles barkley. remember back when he used to play basketball AND run his mouth?

ollie, you so handy!

seriously, it really has little to do with ignoring people i disagree with and more to do with me trying to repress the memory of my seventh grade crush on charles barkley. remember back when he used to play basketball AND run his mouth?

:rofl: I promise, I need the laughs. Keep it coming.

I agree with these statements. But it would behoove people to take a deeper look behind why these things happen. Because Exexpat says that black people won't get shot if they obey the law, I posted 4 instances where no law was broken and yet they were still shot.

I looked at the 4 instances - 3 actually, one was a repeat, so I'd be interested to see the 4th. One was obviously an accidental shooting, another was the one in the news about a kid with a toy gun, and in the last, the officer was fired and charged with a crime.

I know you were responding to what exexexexpat had said, but none of those deal with the real discussion we have been having here for while which is whether cops just shoot black people for no reason and get away with it. Nobody has ever posted an example where that happened.

ETA: I'm not saying it hasn't happened; I just have not seen it posted here.

Edited by B_J

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

ollie, you so handy!

I'm such a dork. I just realized why you keep calling me ollie, derp.

I was like...

oliver_hardy___busy_bodies.jpg

I looked at the 4 instances - 3 actually, one was a repeat, so I'd be interested to see the 4th. One was obviously an accidental shooting, another was the one in the news about a kid with a toy gun, and in the last, the officer was fired and charged with a crime.

I know you were responding to what exexexexpat had said, but none of those deal with the real discussion we have been having here for while which is whether cops just shoot black people for no reason and get away with it. Nobody has ever posted an example where that happened.

ETA: I'm not saying it hasn't happened; I just have not seen it posted here.

People in general shoot black people and expect to get away with it. Look at Jordan Davis. It took two trials in order to get justice since even without a weapon and he didn't lift a finger towards that grown man, 10 shots into a car full of teens was acceptable to 3 people on the original jury. If you reversed the color, do you really think a white jury would have had to try a black man twice for shooting a car full of white teenagers? Look at the guy who was shot getting his wallet. When was the last time a white person went through that? When was the last time you saw a white person detained in public, handcuffed sitting on the sidewalk, when they weren't a criminal? When was the last time a white person was walking with their hands in their pockets and was stopped by the police because walking in the cold with your hands in your pockets is suspicious?

http://www.cnet.com/news/two-phone-standoff-after-cop-stops-man-for-walking-with-hands-in-pockets/

These things might happen to white people. I could be wrong, I just haven't seen any data to prove otherwise.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

People in general shoot black people and expect to get away with it. Look at Jordan Davis. It took two trials in order to get justice since even without a weapon and he didn't lift a finger towards that grown man, 10 shots into a car full of teens was acceptable to 3 people on the original jury. If you reversed the color, do you really think a white jury would have had to try a black man twice for shooting a car full of white teenagers? Look at the guy who was shot getting his wallet. When was the last time a white person went through that? When was the last time you saw a white person detained in public, handcuffed sitting on the sidewalk, when they weren't a criminal? When was the last time a white person was walking with their hands in their pockets and was stopped by the police because walking in the cold with your hands in your pockets is suspicious?

http://www.cnet.com/news/two-phone-standoff-after-cop-stops-man-for-walking-with-hands-in-pockets/

These things might happen to white people. I could be wrong, I just haven't seen any data to prove otherwise.

Try being an off duty cop, call the police and tell them you are in pursuit of a suspect who robbed you and when the police show up they shoot and kill the black off duty police officer because there was no way the white guy was the suspect.

But there are people still claiming that Brown was murdered with his hands in the air. There has still never been an example posted where a cop, or anybody really, has just walked up and murdered a black person and got away with it. Even the examples you posted don't show that.

By the way, I've sat in the back of a police car one time in my entire life. The cops pulled me over and asked to search my car and I let them. I had to sit in the back seat while they searched. When they didn't find anything, they let me go and I went on my way. I know what they were looking for in my car and I know why they were looking. I happened to be a white guy in the wrong neighborhood. They assumed I was there looking for drugs. All they found was a backpack full of Bibles. During my days of studying theology, we all went out to places in the inner city and talked to people. That happened to be my area. The cops didn't know that; so they just made an assumption.

I really don't like cops after that though. I guess they were disappointed that I wasn't a criminal, so they left my stuff just scattered all over my car. They could have just put it back where they found it. Not cool.

But there are people still claiming that Brown was murdered with his hands in the air. There has still never been an example posted where a cop, or anybody really, has just walked up and murdered a black person and got away with it. Even the examples you posted don't show that.

By the way, I've sat in the back of a police car one time in my entire life. The cops pulled me over and asked to search my car and I let them. I had to sit in the back seat while they searched. When they didn't find anything, they let me go and I went on my way. I know what they were looking for in my car and I know why they were looking. I happened to be a white guy in the wrong neighborhood. They assumed I was there looking for drugs. All they found was a backpack full of Bibles. During my days of studying theology, we all went out to places in the inner city and talked to people. That happened to be my area. The cops didn't know that; so they just made an assumption.

I really don't like cops after that though. I guess they were disappointed that I wasn't a criminal, so they left my stuff just scattered all over my car. They could have just put it back where they found it. Not cool.

Here's the issue:

In order to prove that, you're saying that a cop has to say aloud and on film that he shot a black person just because he's black. It's the same as racism now, unless it's the KKK or the N-word, it can't be racist. People need it to be extreme and in your face to accept it. The fact is, more black men are killed by police than any other race combined. And we're not talking about criminals. Crawford, that 13 year old kid, the guy in the apartment, heck even Eric Gardner, chocked out in broad daylight to death over what? A fight he was trying to break up? These men didn't break the law, but were gunned down by cops. When it comes to black men, we have to be exemplary in order for it to be police brutality. Because if I got a parking ticket, or get mouthy cause my rights are being infringed, I know what the outcome could be.

You're lucky that's all that happened to you. The one time I spent in a cop car, I almost was killed because I would have seen a cop blow my friend away when he bolted. I got handcuffed and a busted lip for just asking what I did wrong. If other cops didn't show up, I probably wouldn't be here.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

life rule #5248: ignore charles barkley

why? I find his 'take' on this stuff not only illuminating, but 'spot on',

as

he and I share the same focus on moral decay in the USA.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Here's the issue:

In order to prove that, you're saying that a cop has to say aloud and on film that he shot a black person just because he's black. It's the same as racism now, unless it's the KKK or the N-word, it can't be racist. People need it to be extreme and in your face to accept it. The fact is, more black men are killed by police than any other race combined. And we're not talking about criminals. Crawford, that 13 year old kid, the guy in the apartment, heck even Eric Gardner, chocked out in broad daylight to death over what? A fight he was trying to break up? These men didn't break the law, but were gunned down by cops. When it comes to black men, we have to be exemplary in order for it to be police brutality. Because if I got a parking ticket, or get mouthy cause my rights are being infringed, I know what the outcome could be.

You're lucky that's all that happened to you. The one time I spent in a cop car, I almost was killed because I would have seen a cop blow my friend away when he bolted. I got handcuffed and a busted lip for just asking what I did wrong. If other cops didn't show up, I probably wouldn't be here.

Here's the problem: We simply cannot have a discussion about the race problems here in the US. because too many are trying to make statements that are absolutely false. The link you posted about the apartment shooting. It was an accidental shooting, yet you want to equate it with a black guy being gunned down. The kid with the toy gun is tragic; but it's not like the cop went out looking to shoot a black kid.

There are issues with race but there can be no discussion if we can't at least be honest. If a black person is gunned down, let us know. Until that happens; people need to stop with all the dishonesty. The grand jury obviously did not feel there was anything close to "hands up, don't shoot", yet there are people still claiming that. The grand jury obviously did not feel that Brown was running away when he got shot, yet there are people still claiming that.

We can have a discussion; but first we need honesty.