spookyturtle

The Official Outrage Over Obama Immigration Reform thread

280 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

It was ingenious of him. Let the next congress decide if they are really serious about securing the border, fixing immigration and coming through with their campaign promises.

That's for Congress to decide - the President said that very clearly last night. The ball is in their court now.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It was ingenious of him. Let the next congress decide if they are really serious about securing the border, fixing immigration and coming through with their campaign promises.

He just made the job of securing the border even more difficult by doing what he did. Rightly or wrongly, this sends the message that if you come here, you'll get legal status down the road. The same thing that happened when DACA was instituted. 1000s of unaccompanied minors showed up at the border.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

Janelle true as that may be, I still don't think things would be any different for your husband. From what I gathered from previous posts, there was a big and decisive misunderstanding during his process, which put it on AP. I think we are looking at people with a different set of circumstances altogether. Certainly no more or less important, but with equal reason to warrant our empathy.

But it is something more than my husband and I have.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Timeline

If they were all about the prison corporations, why not lock up all these illegal immigrants? That would fill their coffers big time. This move by the Kenyan was purely political. If it wasn't he would've done it prior to the mid term election, or in his first term. He realizes that there's no short term political reprecussions for doing this when he did it.

Lock up over 11 million people? Our current prison population is already the biggest in the world but it's not even a fifth of that number. What you're suggesting here is increasing the prison population sixfold. Can you see just how ridiculous a suggestion that was? It's about as ridiculous as suggesting that we round up and deport 11 million people.

Filed: Other Timeline

There are probably a lot of people locked up for minor, non-violent offenses that should be afforded relief as well. But then there are the prison corporations that need to look out for the shareholders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em_N3PqMfsc#t=13

No you're thinking of DACA. That was 2+ years ago. He included the 3.5 million parents who came here illegally and put the children in this mess in the first place. If anything, the parents should be the first to be deported.

There's plenty of U.S. citizen children who's parents are locked up. Their life sucks through not fault of their own because their parents broke the law. Where's their relief.

doesn't this also expand the daca timeframe requirement to include more people?

why in the world would you want to add to the number of us citizens that grow up without their parents or with their parents locked up? how will that play out for america's future? i don't see any benefit in breaking down more families, ruining the lives of even more kids?

we should not be incarcarating more people, we should be doing the exact opposite.

there are 2.7 million minor children who have a parent in jail or prison. In other words, 1-in-28 American children (3.6%) have an incarcerated parent. Just 25 years ago, the number was 1-in-125.

Janelle true as that may be, I still don't think things would be any different for your husband. From what I gathered from previous posts, there was a big and decisive misunderstanding during his process, which put it on AP. I think we are looking at people with a different set of circumstances altogether. Certainly no more or less important, but with equal reason to warrant our empathy.

But we don't know these people's situations either. We don't know anything about what would or wouldn't put them into AP nor will they have to live through this. They don't deserve empathy. I need it!!!!

Timeline

Lock up over 11 million people? Our current prison population is already the biggest in the world but it's not even a fifth of that number. What you're suggesting here is increasing the prison population sixfold. Can you see just how ridiculous a suggestion that was? It's about as ridiculous as suggesting that we round up and deport 11 million people.

What?

Did JohnR hijack your account? You threw out locking them up. I was merely stating that children pay for the mistakes of their parents all the time. I used an example of USCs being locked up and their children suffering for it, and those children not getting any relief.

Timeline

doesn't this also expand the daca timeframe requirement to include more people?

why in the world would you want to add to the number of us citizens that grow up without their parents or with their parents locked up? how will that play out for america's future? i don't see any benefit in breaking down more families, ruining the lives of even more kids?

we should not be incarcarating more people, we should be doing the exact opposite.

Where did I say anything about locking any of these people up? MBD brought that up. I was merely pointing out that there's plenty of USC children suffering because of the mistakes their parents made. That's the whole premise of DACA. Where's the relief from Obama for those USC children?

Timeline

You have mine and most of this forum's, for all it's worth. You have my empathy, and my hopes and wishes for a positive and timely outcome. (That's the equivalent of a daily prayer, in a non-deist universe. :) )

But we don't know these people's situations either. We don't know anything about what would or wouldn't put them into AP nor will they have to live through this. They don't deserve empathy. I need it!!!!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Timeline

What?

Did JohnR hijack your account? You threw out locking them up. I was merely stating that children pay for the mistakes of their parents all the time. I used an example of USCs being locked up and their children suffering for it, and those children not getting any relief.

Right and I responded to that already agreeing with you that they do deserve relief - those many that are locked up for minor, non-violent offenses probably should not be locked up but should be with their families and children. Our criminal justice system is a catastrophe. A catastrophe that makes some very rich, no less. It was you that suggested locking up the illegals.

If they were all about the prison corporations, why not lock up all these illegal immigrants?

Your words, not mine.

Timeline

Right and I responded to that already agreeing with you that they do deserve relief - those many that are locked up for minor, non-violent offenses probably should not be locked up but should be with their families and children. Our criminal justice system is a catastrophe. A catastrophe that makes some very rich, no less. It was you that suggested locking up the illegals.

Your words, not mine.

Right because YOU brought up that these USC folks are being locked up to inflate the profits of for profit prisons. I merely stated if it's all about locking people up for profit, then why didn't they do that here? FTR, I'm not for locking up first time people that EWI. However, on the second or third time, I'm all for it..

Where did I say anything about locking any of these people up? MBD brought that up. I was merely pointing out that there's plenty of USC children suffering because of the mistakes their parents made. That's the whole premise of DACA. Where's the relief from Obama for those USC children?

wouldn't their relief be dependant on what their parents are in jail for? i mean if its possession, simple distribution - i'm all for decriminalization and focusing on treatment. basically i don't think jail is a solution to any non violent offender. but generally speaking, americans don't want to let people they perceive as lawbreakers out into the street. and why are so many guilty of breaking the law? probably because we have so many unjust laws or ineffective laws that need to be changed - but our government is ineffective, our law makers aren't as concerned about a law's worth/effectiveness as much as they are that the law is popular with the general public.

Timeline

wouldn't their relief be dependant on what their parents are in jail for? i mean if its possession, simple distribution - i'm all for decriminalization and focusing on treatment. basically i don't think jail is a solution to any non violent offender. but generally speaking, americans don't want to let people they perceive as lawbreakers out into the street. and why are so many guilty of breaking the law? probably because we have so many unjust laws or ineffective laws that need to be changed - but our government is ineffective, our law makers aren't as concerned about a law's worth/effectiveness as much as they are that the law is popular with the general public.

I tend to agree with most of that. My whole point (before this got all sidetracked in to a discussion about private prisons) is why are these people getting a break? Seems they should worry about USCs first. There's plenty of citizen children having a rough time because of decisions their parents made. Where's Obama's executive action for them? That's his premise for a lot of this.

This whole thing is a move to enlarge the base of the Democrat party. Nothing more, nothing less. It was done for PURELY political reasons. If he wanted to take these "courageous" steps, he would've done it prior to the election. The Democrat candidates in the mid terms begged him not to do this prior to the election. He agreed to that. Why? Because he knows how unpopular this decision is. He doesn't care. He pretty much sealed Mary Landrieu's fate with this decree. She asked him to wait until after her runoff, and he gave her the big middle finger. Just like he did to everyone that went through the immigration process the legal way.

Senator Cornyn's office said they can't help me because my application is still under 1 year with USCIS. Dems and Repubs are just jokes. They help no one but themselves.