spookyturtle

The Official Outrage Over Obama Immigration Reform thread

280 posts in this topic

But adult siblings of US citizens or permanent residents that are illegally in the US don't benefit from the actions the President announced yesterday either. It's an entirely different issue. And quite frankly, I don't see why someone migrating to the US (or anywhere else, for that matter) should have a claim to have his or her entire family migrate there as well.

That's quite a leap but, hey, whatever makes you feel better in these tough times.

What I think is overdue is to eliminate that visa category altogether.

I know I'm probably wasting my time but.......

While some people are able to travel here almost at will, have their friends, relatives, etc. come visit; others are not treated the same. You can cavalierly say that you'd prefer the F4 be eliminated, but for some people, that's the only way they will ever see their family in this country. EVER.

But, while my wife will never have her family here, if they had somehow come here illegally, they would now be allowed to stay and work. Of course, they would never consider doing something like that. They would never consider doing something illegal.

But here's the issue. They can't come here, because they wouldn't be able to show ties to their home country. It is assumed that they would stay here, so they have to prove their innocence. But, those who are already here, the ones we know are guilty, are now going to be treated like they are innocent.

It's just not right.

While some people are able to travel here almost at will, have their friends, relatives, etc. come visit; others are not treated the same. You can cavalierly say that you'd prefer the F4 be eliminated, but for some people, that's the only way they will ever see their family in this country. EVER.

But, while my wife will never have her family here, if they had somehow come here illegally, they would now be allowed to stay and work. Of course, they would never consider doing something like that. They would never consider doing something illegal.

But here's the issue. They can't come here, because they wouldn't be able to show ties to their home country. It is assumed that they would stay here, so they have to prove their innocence. But, those who are already here, the ones we know are guilty, are now going to be treated like they are innocent.

It's just not right.

Big point. I will never be able to see my husband's family here. I can barely get him here as it is.

egg and chicken issue..

Because of the illegal immigration inside US where people refuse to leave once they step foot on soil, making it harder for the rest to obtain visa overseas.

If those undocumented/overstay people have no chance ever to AOS inside US, it will be easier for rest of people to obtain visa for solely tourist purposes.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

He did? I am sure Congress will begin impeachment proceedings promptly in January. Just as it did against George H.W. Bush when he took similar executive action back when.

I hope they do impeach him. Your defend at all costs loyalty to the President is admirable.

What I think is overdue is to eliminate that visa category altogether.

Call your buddy Obama, he'll probably do an executive order for that too. :devil:

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Timeline

It's just not right.

Only if they had children that were born here and would thus be US citizens. Otherwise, nothing would have changed for them based on the executive action announced yesterday.

As for the difficulties to obtain a visitor visa from many countries, I hear you. My wife is from Ethiopia and they don't exactly issue visas to her family members either. We had her mom here a few years back who was issued a visitor visa and would probably be issued a visa again if she wanted one. Her auntie and uncle came here to visit, too. But none of the folks in her age group with the exception of one cousin who has absolutely no incentive to leave Ethiopia - she's doing great there.

I agree that it's frustrating that they can't travel the same way my family can without ever having to worry about a visa. They just go online, complete the ESTA form, pay $14.00 and they're good to come visit for the next two years. It'd be great if everyone had that opportunity but the fact of the matter is is that too many people from certain countries have and continue to abuse the visitor visa and thus they're hard to come by for their fellow country(wo)men. Yet the answer to that issue cannot be to have all of those folks immigrate.

I hope they do impeach him. Your defend at all costs loyalty to the President is admirable.

Call your buddy Obama, he'll probably do an executive order for that too. :devil:

I'll call Obama on the F4 issue once you successfully lobbied your Congresspeople to impeach him over this. Just tell them to remember what happened to George H. W. Bush when he took executive action to extend immigration benefits to a third of the illegal immigrant population even though the law as passed by Congress did not provide for that. They surely impeached him promptly, yes?

It'd be great if everyone had that opportunity but the fact of the matter is is that too many people from certain countries have and continue to abuse the visitor visa and thus they're hard to come by for their fellow country(wo)men. Yet the answer to that issue cannot be to have all of those folks immigrate.

So reward those who abuse the visitor visa by coming here and never leaving by punishing those who use it for it's intended purpose. Yea, that makes sense.

I'll call Obama on the F4 issue once you successfully lobbied your Congresspeople to impeach him over this. Just tell them to remember what happened to George H. W. Bush when he took executive action to extend immigration benefits to a third of the illegal immigrant population even though the law as passed by Congress did not provide for that. They surely impeached him promptly, yes?

Two wrongs don't make it right.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Only if they had children that were born here and would thus be US citizens. Otherwise, nothing would have changed for them based on the executive action announced yesterday.

I'm not sure that's correct.

Now here is the thing. We expect people who live in this country to play by the rules. We expect those who cut the line will not be unfairly rewarded. So we’re going to offer the following deal: If you’ve with been in America more than five years. If you have children who are American citizens or illegal residents. If you register, pass a criminal background check and you’re willing to pay your fair share of taxes, you’ll be able to apply to stay in this country temporarily without fear of deportation. You can come out of the shadows and get right with the law. That’s what this deal is.

What is meant by children being illegal residents? Also not sure if every condition listed has to be met or just one.

He did? I am sure Congress will begin impeachment proceedings promptly in January. Just as it did against George H.W. Bush when he took similar executive action back when.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Bush Sr's EO was tied to a congressional law wherein he provided clarification for a vague term within the law related to families. Did Obama link to a specific immigration law or is this a stand alone item?

1d35bdb6477b38fedf8f1ad2b4c743ea.jpg

So reward those who abuse the visitor visa by coming here and never leaving by punishing those who use it for it's intended purpose. Yea, that makes sense.

How do you know the person who intends to use the visa for its intended purpose from the person that doesn't? Answer is, you don't. So you can only look at overall trends and make the best decision possible based on the facts presented with the visa application. They keep pretty good track of what people submit when applying for a visa and what they may have supplied prior.

Two wrongs don't make it right.

Well, they should have told George H. W. Bush that. He was the second to go it alone. Reagan did it before him, too. And we all know that Republicans screamed for Reagan's impeachment right away. And for that of George H. W. Bush. Or did they? I just love that hypocrisy. That's all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Bush Sr's EO was tied to a congressional law wherein he provided clarification for a vague term within the law related to families. Did Obama link to a specific immigration law or is this a stand alone item?

I will correct you because you are wrong. The law wasn't vague, it was clear. And it provided no relief to spouses, parents or children who didn't qualify for relief under the law on their own even if someone in the immediate family did. Congress failed to change the law and include the immediate family members so Bush extended the relief unilaterally to immediate family members of those that qualified for relief under the 1986 law. That executive action covered more than a third of the illegal immigrant population in this country at the time. It was totally on the same order

How do you know the person who intends to use the visa for its intended purpose from the person that doesn't? Answer is, you don't. So you can only look at overall trends and make the best decision possible based on the facts presented with the visa application. They keep pretty good track of what people submit when applying for a visa and what they may have supplied prior.

Well, they should have told George H. W. Bush that. He was the second to go it alone. Reagan did it before him, too. And we all know that Republicans screamed for Reagan's impeachment right away. And for that of George H. W. Bush. Or did they? I just love that hypocrisy. That's all.

Why look at trends? Keep giving amnesty and they will keep coming. This time will be no different than the past. Rinse and repeat. Make it harder on those that are easy to control, the ones who follow the law. Keep giving a pass to those who break the law because it is too much of a problem to deal with properly. Lessons keep getting repeated until they are learned. This is round three of making a mistake. Millions more will enter illegally in the coming years. The Buck should have stopped with Obama if he wants to make a positive impact. He just handed the White House to the GOP. The Democrats should be outraged over how one person single handedly destroyed the party.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I'm not sure that's correct.

What is meant by children being illegal residents? Also not sure if every condition listed has to be met or just one.

That's incorrect. Looks like a typo. Parents of children who are either US citizens or legal residents are granted relief.

From the horse's mouth:

Now here’s the thing: We expect people who live in this country to play by the rules. We expect that those who cut the line will not be unfairly rewarded. So we’re going to offer the following deal: If you’ve been in America for more than five years; if you have children who are American citizens or legal residents; if you register, pass a criminal background check, and you’re willing to pay your fair share of taxes -- you’ll be able to apply to stay in this country temporarily without fear of deportation. You can come out of the shadows and get right with the law. That’s what this deal is.