RobbieG

The word "gringo" is offensive. Please stop using it

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Any slur that singles out a person solely based on the color of their skin or race is offensive in its concept.

"Gringo" used to refer to American whites is a slur and no different than using the "N" word or other offensive terms for other races that I will not repeat here.

Moderators wouldn't allow the "N" word or the other words I refuse to repeat here. Will you please not allow the equally offensive "gringo" that is a term used to identify a person soley on their race and origin? Respectfully, please.

RobbieG,

Dallas, TX

event.png

Timeline

Read above. Any slur/name used to identify someone by their race or color of their skin is wrong.

I can see a debate about whether whites/Americans can use the word, but that's not my point.

If the N word and others is wrong, so is any word that identifies someone soley by their race.

RobbieG,

Dallas, TX

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

:yes: to the rationale immediately above.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Timeline

Being offended is subjective and not a matter of debate. If someone says they are offended, then all that's left is to learn whether they have an agenda, or whether it's a real or manufactured feeling. If someone is a criminal, is it okay to call them what they are or even add additional superlatives to their criminal conviction and offense? You bet. Fortunately more and more people in America are disposing their dictionaries of the politically correct in favor in the newly revised version of common sense. Have fun with it. If someone uses a term that you find personally offensive then why not express a real or feigned request that they refrain? If they persist despite your request, then go ahead and use one right back at them. Or, we can all just let the un-elected and invisible PC police manage it.

Timeline

Thank you for sharing your opinions.

The term is most certainly used as part of hate-speech and anger many times but agree not always.

The "N" word isn't always used as hate speech and anger always either, but is not allowed here. "Gringo" shouldn't be allowed here either regardless of the intent.

My point is that allowing terms/slurs that refer to someone's color is wrong. It is a slippery slope from there to other forms of hate speech. If you allow one, then you open the door for others.

RobbieG,

Dallas, TX

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Where my husband's from, "gringo" just means american (from USA). African Americans, Asian Americans, European Americans, and Mexican Americans are all gringos to him.

April 27, 2016: I-751 mailed

May 2: I-751 received

May ??? NOA1

May 12: Check cashed

May 31: Biometrics appointment scheduled

June 1: Biometrics appointment letter arrives!

June 2: Biometrics walk-in

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have never heard my husband, or myself for that matter, use the term gringo/gringa in an offensive/derogatory manner. I am sure people do use it that way sometimes, but I don't think the majority do. It is a term for an English-speaking foreigner. Gringo is not based on the color of someone's skin, unless you are insinuating that a gringo is only a term for an American because all Americans are white. It is not a racial slur.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In the 3 yrs I was in Nicaragua..Gringo was fine..so was chele.......Havent heard it as much in Ecuador......Didnt bother me if they called me Gringo

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I'm married to an American with Mexican background and I have never heard him use gringo as a slur. The way I understood it from his explanation is:

Gringo just means US citizen

cra*ker is the opposite of the N word. << actual slurs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Just because a word is used all the time doesn't mean it's not offensive.....if you look back at American history the N word was used all the time also until the people that it offended recognized it as offensive. I'm not sure if the people in history that used the N word used it to be derogatory to begin with, but it did certainly become that.

Comparing the word cra*ker to thé Word gringo does mot apply, They are slangs used by two différent cultures and are in différent languages. Cra*Ker used in English and Gr*ngo in Spanish.

If gr*ngo means a white American person then it's racist because it singles out a specific group of people, whites. Even if it was used to refer to all Americans, not just whites, it would still be offensive. Doesn't all the other offensive slang words refer to a specific group of people? Isnt that what make the words offensive to begin with?

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Bolivia

I-129F Sent : 2014-08-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-08-14

I-129F NOA2 : 2015-02-20

I-129F NOA2 hard copy recieved: 2015-03-02

USCIS to NVC: 2015-03-02

NVC Received : 2015-03-10

NVC Left : 2015-03-31

Consulate Received : 2015-04-06

Packet 4 Received : 2015-04-09

Interview Date : 2015-04-30

2nd Interview Date : 2015-05-04

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 190 days from your NOA1 date.[/b][/color]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It's been made clear, by those who know, that the term is descriptive only. Assumptions and presumptions to the contrary are speculative and baseless. Thread is closed to further commentary.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).