Yousnina

I-130 QUESTION - Do we need to get married again in the US after the CR1 VISA is issued?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I-130 Question- How valid are overseas marriages? Are they accepted in the US? We were recently married in Morocco and currently living and working together here. I will return to teaching in NY when my contract ends, and hopefully as a couple. Someone told us that in order for the marriage to be recognized in the US the papers must be stamped in the courts (which we did) and then must be stamped in Rabat at the ministry. That is a 5 hour train ride. If it is true we will do it. But if it is recognized otherwise then we wont go through the trouble of getting it stamped here.

While we will eventually get married int he US, I was wondering if my husband would be covered under my health insurance.

Marriages abroad are recognized in the USA. If they were not, there would be no way to bring your husband on the CR-1 visa. At least as long as the marriage doesn't violate the laws of the USA.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

no, u dont need to get married again, after u fill the petition to uscis and after they will aprove it u will have to demonstrate bona fide marriage with all of ur posible evidence, after the visa is granted, trip to usa, aos process etc . About the papers u need u need to contact the ambassy where the interv will take place, they will tell u about how they want the marriage certf and what stamps do u need

Edited by MariaLD

K1/K2 Visa
05-28-2014 - I-129F Sent
06-09-2014 - I-129F NOA1
10-27-2014 - I-129F NOA2
12-05-2014 - NVC Received
12-08-2014 - Left NVC 
12-12-2014 - Consulate Received
12-15-2014 - Pack 3 Received

01-08-2015 - Interview Date APPROVED!!!!!
01-11-2015 - Visa Received
01-16-2015 - US Entry
03-25-2015 - Marriage

AOS

08-28-2015 - AOS pack sent in 00-00-20__ - I-751 Sent
08-31-2015 - NOA for all 3 packs received via email
09-29-2015 - Bio Appt
11-27-2015 - Approval (No interview)
12-03-2015- Green card received

ROC

10-04-2017- I-751 sent

10-16-2017- NOA 1

11-14-2017 - Bio. Appt.

2 extension letters received 

03-06-2019 - RFE

06-15-2019 - requested a passport stamp/approved 

06-18-2019 - 10 years green card approved (no interview)

USC

07-05-2019 - N400 sent online

07-06-2019 - Noa 1

07-25-2019 - Bio.Appt

VrQDm4.pngAMMkm4.png wFiZm4.pngz6nxm4.png

Timeline

I-130 Question- How valid are overseas marriages? Are they accepted in the US? We were recently married in Morocco and currently living and working together here. I will return to teaching in NY when my contract ends, and hopefully as a couple. Someone told us that in order for the marriage to be recognized in the US the papers must be stamped in the courts (which we did) and then must be stamped in Rabat at the ministry. That is a 5 hour train ride. If it is true we will do it. But if it is recognized otherwise then we wont go through the trouble of getting it stamped here.

While we will eventually get married int he US, I was wondering if my husband would be covered under my health insurance.

No need to do so, Moroccan marriages are recognized worldwide. You do however need to translate all docs into English.

Best of luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I seem to remember that NY does allow you to marry someone more than once weird as it sounds.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yea, I actually wrote that incorrectly. I meant to say, do you think the insurance companies will accept the papers.

They are translated into English already. But they are not stamped from the US ministry, just the courts.

I have a job back home already, and want to put him on my insurance ASAP. We will get married again there…..but no need to rush.

I just didn't want any hassle if the papers weren't stamped with a US stamp.

Not that they would really know or anything….as I didn't.

Thanks all!

Timeline

Never heard of needing to supply a marriage cert to get medical insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, you do. Otherwise everyone would put friends/ boyfriend and girlfriends down to get coverage.

This amazes me. In Canada I didn't have to supply anything other than my ex husband's name and date of birth for him to be on my insurance. It was actually more difficult to remove him than add.

Yes, you do. Otherwise everyone would put friends/ boyfriend and girlfriends down to get coverage.

I've never been asked for a marriage certificate to add a spouse to my insurance through work either. I have been asked for the SS number though. People could lie I suppose and add a friend, bf or gf, but that would also be fraud creating liabilities both civil and possibly criminal.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Hi, i think they might be talking about a life insurance policy not health

That would be relevant on payment.

Filed: Timeline

This amazes me. In Canada I didn't have to supply anything other than my ex husband's name and date of birth for him to be on my insurance. It was actually more difficult to remove him than add.

The US is far behind the rest of the industrialized world on most social issues especially healthcare and education. We could learn a lot from Canada and Europe. Unfortunately things are about to get much worse here for all but the wealthy.

For my employment, they needed both our marriage certificate and his social security number to be added to my health medical (doctor, dental & vision) insurance. However, in terms of life insurance, NO, they don't need any proof.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.