MamaTiff

Multiple Middle Names

13 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is answered somewhere but I have searched all over here and the web. Seems like an easy question. My fiancé has two middle names, on his birth certificate, do I put both in the middle name field on forms?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

If he has two, enter two. It should be exactly as it appears on his passport.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Yes write it same way it's on passport :)

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

So now I am looking at passport and Canada doesn't put any middle name on passport, just surname and given. But on all other documents, birth certificate, driving license, divorce documents all use both middle names. So if matching passport it would be empty?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

So now I am looking at passport and Canada doesn't put any middle name on passport, just surname and given. But on all other documents, birth certificate, driving license, divorce documents all use both middle names. So if matching passport it would be empty?

I didn't know that Canadian passports didn't have middle names! I've learned something new!

I'd go with the birth certificate then. If this is standard in Canada, then USCIS will be aware of it and will expect to see omission of middle names on the passport, while all given names are on the birth certificate.

The beneficiary does not send in a birth certificate with the I129F. Only the Petitioner does. In your case, it would be a good idea to submit a copy of the birth certificate with the petition and a reference to it on a covering letter explaining. Don't send in the original as your fiance will need this for his interview.

Edited by wbeem
Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I really hope someone who knows more about your case can help you better. If all the other documents even her birth certificate and divorce papers, driver... Have the other way I'm not sure what's better.

I don't want to say something that may be wrong.

Maybe calling uscis can help asking about it???? Explaining the situation where documents are different

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Canada has middle names on our passports, they are listed under Given Names. Given names are your first then your middle name (because they are given to you and not passed down like your surname is). If it's not on the passport then that's possibly an omission on the passport holders part.

That being said, I would list both his middle names on the line for middle name.

If I'm not mistaken, the middle names would fall under the "Given names" category.

My American passport reads as follows:

Surname: Smith

Given names: John David

In this example, my middle name is David.

Thank you for your input. It must be an omission on his part, my plan is to put the two middle names and send a copy of his birth certificate explaining why in cover letter. Will let you know how it goes.

Passport Canada used to let you decide if you put middle names or not; they still do, to a point. I have 4 middle names, none in my Canadian passport (but all of them in my "other" passport), none in any of my US documents.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadian. Born in a province where there is no definition of first vs middle names. All names are just 'given' names. I have three given names. This has been a matter of debates between me and my provincial government multiple times and each time I tell them that they're given names and they tell me I have to find out which is my MIDDLE NAME(S). In the end, they end up doing the same as I do, which I will describe in the following.

Because the first name field is often longer than the middle name field I generally treat my first two names as a compound but unhyphenated given name (especially as my childhood nickname included a diminutive of my second name).

So, for example.

Say my name is Marie Antoinette Madeleine Beaubier.

My given names are Marie Antoinette and Madeleine. My birth certificate does not define that any of these is a first or middle name.

When a form says 'First name', 'middle name,' and 'last name,' I examine the fields for names. If the 'First name' field is the largest, I will do the following.

First name: Marie Antoinette
Middle name: Madeleine
Surname: Beaubier.

If the middle name field is the largest, I do the following.

First name: Marie
Middle name: Antoinette Madeleine
Surname Beaubier

It is VERY important, however, before making a decision such as this for forms that you examine your birth certificate. If it has defined fields for first, middle and surname, you cannot make these choices for yourself. It is only by merit of there being no record of the intent of my name that I can get away with this, legally. I honestly do not know if my mother intended for me to have a compound first name or two middle names. Either would make sense given our cultural background.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

How is it that the Canadian passport don't know have the middle name ????? and yes Canada does put middle name in the passport as my daughter has a middle name and it is on her passport , i make sure to double check that one when I see your post.

Edited by sharda

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.