hir0

How long should the layover be? (entering the US with a visa)

23 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm purchasing my flight ticket to travel to the US, with my K1 visa and I was wondering how long my layover should be?

I've been a little through the reviews and it seems like for some it's pretty quick and for others it’s long.

Since missing a connection because of the customs doesn’t allow me to get a new ticket, I’d rather avoid missing it (some planes tend to have serious layovers especially December/January which shortens the layover time considerably -- I was stuck in Minneapolis for a couple of hours past January due to the snow storms).

Also, have you ever been through Chicago or Dallas?

How are the customs there? (full, very full, okay full lol)

Thank you :)

If I were you I would allow at least four hours time between flights. Most airlines require a 2 hour check in before the plane departure. So IMHO 2 hours is cutting t way too close. Would you rather be there hours early or would you prefer to be sweating bullets if the lines are long when you arrive on US soil? I would err on the side of caution. Of course you may have to wait a few hours longer to see your fiance but what's a few hours compared to where you have come from already? Good luck and GOD BLESS

My wife was detained longer than expected through customs and she missed her connecting flight. She flew Delta and they simple booked her on the next flight with no problems. They did not charge her at all. This apparently happens frequently.

If you are concerned, then allow for 4 hours between flights. If you are that concerned, then meet her at the point of entry airport. If that is not possible, make sure she has means to contact you. She should have some US currency so she can use a pay phone. If not, then she should be able to communicate in english to let someone let her use their cell phone. That is what my wife had to do. She asked a guy if she could call me. Thank God because I has already been to the airport and came home and was wondering how in the world is she going to get in touch with me to let me know when I need to return to the airport.

It was kind of a sick feeling to go to the airport and find out that your better half was not on that flight.

Make sure that she has a means to contact you as soon as she gets out of customs and has a boarding pass for her flight.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I live in Dallas and it's typically the quickest and easiest to get through immigration and customs.

Hi,

I'm purchasing my flight ticket to travel to the US, with my K1 visa and I was wondering how long my layover should be?

I've been a little through the reviews and it seems like for some it's pretty quick and for others it’s long.

Since missing a connection because of the customs doesn’t allow me to get a new ticket, I’d rather avoid missing it (some planes tend to have serious layovers especially December/January which shortens the layover time considerably -- I was stuck in Minneapolis for a couple of hours past January due to the snow storms).

Also, have you ever been through Chicago or Dallas?

How are the customs there? (full, very full, okay full lol)

Thank you :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Be glad you are not P.O.E. Atlanta, as there was my wife and one other lady that came after her.,.,..,.,and we still was almost two hours, getting through USCIS.,.,.,finger prints, look into a camera and take a picture, and then her passport just placed in a clear envelope and filed right on the front desk, right in front of us.,.,,.,.,and they just kept walking by it.,.,.,,.sealed envelope was no problem.,,.no idea why they just held us there.,.my honest opinion is they were just trying to be A_ _ holes!

Just be prepared for.,.,.,.anything! Just know how you are going to deal with it.,.,..,. Good Luck on your travels!

Nothing less than four hours.

That's just pushing it, youve no idea how busy it will be or how many might be taken into secondary, they don't really so it in any kind of order.

My Poe was awful, but that's because my flight was delayed by four hours which is exactly how long I left in between!

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yeah, you can never be prepared so give as much time as possible. A friend of mine's POE took only 30-45 min in Orlando but I've also heard other situations like some of the other posters on this thread

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Be glad you are not P.O.E. Atlanta, as there was my wife and one other lady that came after her.,.,..,.,and we still was almost two hours, getting through USCIS.,.,.,finger prints, look into a camera and take a picture, and then her passport just placed in a clear envelope and filed right on the front desk, right in front of us.,.,,.,.,and they just kept walking by it.,.,.,,.sealed envelope was no problem.,,.no idea why they just held us there.,.my honest opinion is they were just trying to be A_ _ holes!

Just be prepared for.,.,.,.anything! Just know how you are going to deal with it.,.,..,. Good Luck on your travels!

I was like shhhhhhhhhhh*t reading this lol I booked my flight through Atlanta & have a 4h20 layover xD

All the other flights were through other websites… & for my last trip I had a big issue with the booking website. So to avoid this I compared those I could AA, BA, Delta+KLM, AF and Lufthansa. I prefer AA&BA but I’ll pay the extra money for the extra luggage lol

I hope it will be okay tho…. Oh my…. I hope I won’t miss any flight lol (I have to take 3)

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!!

K1

AOS

ROC

09/14/2017 : Package Sent (CSC)

09/15/2017 : Package Received (CSC)

09/15/2017 : NOA1 Date

10/12/2017 : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

N400

09/01/2018 : Application Sent (online)

--/--/---- NOA1 Date

--/--/---- : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

So it's not gonna be easy.

It's going to be really hard;

we're gonna have to work at this everyday,

but I want to do that because I want you.

I want all of you, forever, everyday.

You and me.. everyday.

___The NoteBook

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Because the OP has made her decision, I'll close this thread to further comments.

OP, let us know later (in a new thread) how things actually work out!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.