Beautifulday

US immigration when entering the US

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

hi guys, i am flying in to America on oct 30th! i just want to know from you guys' own experience if people with k1 visa get stopped at the US customs? and by stopped i mean not just speak to the officer but get actually stopped by being taken some place else to be asked more stuff. i am asking if that is how it is for everyone with k1 visa because a friend of mine that is also from Poland was stopped and i just want to know if that is the case when it comes to all of us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

There is a bunch of good POE reviews here that might be useful: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

hi guys, i am flying in to America on oct 30th! i just want to know from you guys' own experience if people with k1 visa get stopped at the US customs? and by stopped i mean not just speak to the officer but get actually stopped by being taken some place else to be asked more stuff. i am asking if that is how it is for everyone with k1 visa because a friend of mine that is also from Poland was stopped and i just want to know if that is the case when it comes to all of us.

Your question is about customs which is different than immigration. Customs reviews what you are attempting to import into the USA. The " stuff " you bring in. If you don't report all the " stuff " or have " stuff " that isn't allowed you could be sent to secondary inspection.

If you are actually asked about immigration its possible they would ask some simple questions and you would be granted entry as many are. These things are done on a case by case basis so its incorrect to think its " all of us " as though there is something different about people from your country.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure customs would know you were a k1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

As of lately customs officers will check passport, visa status and other immigration papers vis-a-vis the declared intended stay.

A tourist, arriving in July, for a 3-week stay, will most likely not see the outside of the airport if his/her baggage contains heavy winter coats, books and other personal effects that might indicate a longer intended stay.

Not sure customs would know you were a k1.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

As of lately customs officers will check passport, visa status and other immigration papers vis-a-vis the declared intended stay.

A tourist, arriving in July, for a 3-week stay, will most likely not see the outside of the airport if his/her baggage contains heavy winter coats, books and other personal effects that might indicate a longer intended stay.

Which Airport is doing this?

I have yet to have my bags opened.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I have witnessed it at LAX/SFO/EWR and JFK and I have apocryphal accounts on ATL/MIA/DFW/IAH and ORD.

If you're a LPR or USC customs will not open your bags without reason, but a tourist with a ton of luggage might be a different story.

Which Airport is doing this?

I have yet to have my bags opened.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

well i was just referring to that thing all people flying in the US go thru, both citizens and non-citizens, different lines. where you get called up by an officer and come up to his little "booth" and give him ur passport to check and he asks you questions about your US visit. I've only before only gone to either participate in an exchange program or to visit and not on a visa quite as k1. My friend said they stopped her to ask more questions than already do when they check you. They also take fingerprints and a scan of ur eyes

Timeline

well i was just referring to that thing all people flying in the US go thru, both citizens and non-citizens, different lines. where you get called up by an officer and come up to his little "booth" and give him ur passport to check and he asks you questions about your US visit. I've only before only gone to either participate in an exchange program or to visit and not on a visa quite as k1. My friend said they stopped her to ask more questions than already do when they check you. They also take fingerprints and a scan of ur eyes

That is immigration not customs. Seems customs is different at the airports I normally use.

It depends on your POE. At some POEs, when you arrive to the immigration counter and hand over your visa packet, they may instruct you to go to a small waiting room to have another interview with an immigration officer. At other POEs, the interview is given right at the counter. They will take your fingerprints and digital photo at the immigration counter.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

Ok.. That is the USCIS line and you go through that before you get to customs.

Entering the US with a K-1 visa you will probably be sent to secondary inspection, in a separate room, where they will collect the sealed envelope you received from the consulate. The process may be longer than that when entering as a tourist but they know you're entering the country with the purpose of staying, so there are less hurdles to overcome.

Don't worry too much. It is just another step in the process and you should be out of the airport in no time.

Relax and take it easy. It is just more paperwork.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I wish I had seen this post when you originally started it. It seemed like NOBODY understood what you meant lool, even though you explained it as clear as crystal. As soon as I started reading the responses I was like ' :blink: confused face', that's not what they are asking lol. I'm not sure if they'll 'stop you', stop you because it's clear what your intentions are and it's evident that you have all the legal documents you need to stay for the allotted 90 day period in which you have to wed. Although I'm not a K-1 holder, I've travelled to the US quite a few times since my fiancé moved back September 2013. This year I've travelled 4 times and on one of my trips I only had a week back home before I flew back to America. Each time they just asked why I was there and stamped me and sent me on my way. Like I said that's not with a K-1 so that information was pointless lol. However I don't see why they'd need to stop you as they know that you're not trying to stay illegally, you're actually there with a Visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

My wife came in on a K1 visa through Chicago airport in July. I flew in with her and the woman at immigration was nice, asked her a few questions, and then asked me to come over to the window. She wanted to know where our final destination was and where we were living, I told her, she took all of the paperwork and then stamped her passport. It was easy and we never left the window. They did scan her fingerprints there. Make sure you ask them for you i-94 which they did not give to us and I had to get online. You will need that later for other documents after the marriage.

My wife came in on a K1 visa through Chicago airport in July. I flew in with her and the woman at immigration was nice, asked her a few questions, and then asked me to come over to the window. She wanted to know where our final destination was and where we were living, I told her, she took all of the paperwork and then stamped her passport. It was easy and we never left the window. They did scan her fingerprints there. Make sure you ask them for you i-94 which they did not give to us and I had to get online. You will need that later for other documents after the marriage.

How were you able to go through the same line? Aren't K1 enters supposed to be in the Non-US citizen line, and I'm assuming you'd go through the US citizen line?

K-1 Journey: 309 days from received to POE (TSC)

[september 11, 2014] - I-129F received by USCIS

[september 15, 2014] - NOA1
[May 27, 2015] - NOA2
[July 9, 2015] - I N T E R V I E W! (APPROVED!)
[July 13, 2015] - Issued
[July 14, 2015] - Visa in hand
[July 16, 2015] - POE JFK

AOS Journey: 169 days from received to GC in hand (NSC)

Spoiler

[July 17, 2015] - Successfully applied for SSN

[July 18, 2015] - Sent out AOS package

[July 21, 2015] - Received

[July 24, 2015] - NOA1 (3x)

[August 18, 2015] - Biometrics

[september 19, 2015] - EAD/AP approval (63 days)

[september 24, 2015] - EAD/AP Received

[January 6, 2016] - Green Card approved without interview(166 days)

[January 12, 2016] - Received Green Card

ROC journey starts: October 2017

ROC Journey: 419 days (VSC)

[October 30, 2017] - Sent package

[November 3, 2017] - NOA1

[November 18, 2017] - Biometrics letter received

[December 5, 2017] - Biometrics

[December 18, 2018] - Card is being produced (no interview)

[December 22, 2018] - Received Green Card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.