CoBu

I-129F K1 Visa - Traditional Wedding (Vietnam) without marriage certificate

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Since you are filing a K1, you should not get married until after your fiance arrives in the US and you have 90 days to do so from the date of entry.

You can have a Dam Hoi (engagement party) in Vietnam with your family and friends. This is very common in Vietnamese culture and there are situations where NOT having a Dam Hoi can cause some issues/delays with HCMC. Meaning, they might ask your fiance at the interview why you did not follow the cultural norm and not have a Dam Hoi if you choose not to have one. You can read some of the old threads on this.

For my case, we did not have a Dam Hoi but were still able to recieve a pink.

Good luck to you both.

Hi All,

We are working on our K1 Visa; already received NOA2 and waiting for paper works at NVC forwarded to Vietnam.

We are also planning to have a traditional wedding for our friends and families in February.

Is it safe to mention this at the Interview or should my fiance hide it?

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

DO NOT get married or hold any ceremoney of any kind that even resembles a wedding. NEVER HIDE ANYTHING from any government official throughout this process. Lies of ommission count as regular lies.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

A wise VJmember which I can't remember the name or page once said ' if it looks like a wedding, smell like a wedding or is like a wedding.. It will very likely be seen as a wedding' (the exact words may have been alterates by me lol)

Be careful with the K1visa, a ceremony smelling like a wedding can get you denied. It's crazy but it happens..

K1

AOS

ROC

09/14/2017 : Package Sent (CSC)

09/15/2017 : Package Received (CSC)

09/15/2017 : NOA1 Date

10/12/2017 : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

N400

09/01/2018 : Application Sent (online)

--/--/---- NOA1 Date

--/--/---- : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

So it's not gonna be easy.

It's going to be really hard;

we're gonna have to work at this everyday,

but I want to do that because I want you.

I want all of you, forever, everyday.

You and me.. everyday.

___The NoteBook

You don't want to end up in a situation where you're too married for a K-1 (ceremony took place), but not married enough (no certificate) for a spouse visa. Don't do anything to intentionally wreck your chances.

Edited by Ketsuban

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

I'm not sure what happened to other posts about against the wedding in VN for a K-1. My case was OK and good with K-1 after a wedding in VN:

- Two years ago, we attempted to register cert of marriage license in Justice Dept - So Tu Phap (HoChiMinh), but they denied our application due to missing documents.** The missing docs were:

(I was divorced 10 yrs ago in US). Justice Dept - SoTuPhap HCM asked me to bring my divorce decree & have VN Embassy in US to translate Eng -> Vietnamese then get certified by VN Embassy in either DC or California (these Embassy staff asked $570 while Representative in Hanoi told me over the phone of $250, I sent the money order of $250 + $40 Certified Postage Fees, they took out the money, trashed my case after I refused paying more).

- Went back to HCM another time, swear & notarized in US Consulate at HCM for a Single Affidavit ($50/each stamp) & certified with So Ngoai Vu (VN Immigrations Office to certify (some $5 - $15 fees, can't remember exactly).

- Went back to Justice Dept SoTuPhap again, got denied again. But someone approached me & claimed they had "connections" & willing to get us "through" for some $. They asked how much I made and gave me a price in $USD.

- We went ahead get engaged & wedding in VN w/o license.

- We had to get married in VN because I only have 2 relatives in USA (hundreds of friends, but VN traditions only care about parents & relatives).

- Filed K-1. Explained the case with a typed letter attached to I-129F.

- 6 months later, K-1 interview & VISA in hand. Just be truth during interview, it's ok to be nervous (my fiance/wife said).

- Current in AOS: got married ceremony with my only 2 relatives & a small dinner bunch of friends & co-workers.

That's our case.

Edited by ricewanted

K-1 + medical + fees + AOS + fees (again) + medical-incompleted ===== more EXPENSIVE & LONGER then the IR/CR1.

But I'll rather pay the US government with my hard working dollars than paying someone else to support their corruptions. I am, and still do bitc** about those wasted $!!.

Edited by ricewanted

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

THIS IS JUST PERSONAL OPINION

US government recognizes a wedding is a proof of a legal marriage if the local law does so. in US, wedding in a church is legal (most of my friends in US are Americans so they only got wedding in church). BUT in other countries, a wedding may be meaningless to the government .

To answer this question - people should know about Vietnamese marriage law and culture:

1. Registered for marriage and obtained marriage certificate = legally married

2. A sole ceremony only is not recognized as a legal marriage. Of course, in case of disputes for example property disputes, the courts may step in and recognize - but this does not happen often.

3. Ceremony is not only for you and your wife/husband but it is also a way of showing respect and care to your fiancee and her/his family. "Danh Phận" is a very important term in Vietnamese culture.

If you are male and apply for a female, then the 100% correct culture thing is to get a proper wedding before taking her to US.

I know a number of people got rejected on K-1 but not because they got the wedding but lack of proof for on-going relationship. All of my uncles (3) and some of their friends got big wedding, they applied for K-1 and their fiancees/wives came here - they did not hide the fact that they wedded.

Edited by Ulink2

In addition, I wanted to add what I found out from Vietnam Marriage and Family.

Whether a wedding is recognized as a legal marriage depends on "when"

"Tại điểm b, khoản 3 Nghị quyết số 35/2000/QH10 ngày 9/6/2000 về thi hành Luật Hôn nhân và gia đình năm 2000 đã hướng dẫn vấn đề này như sau: Nam và nữ chung sống với nhau như vợ chồng từ ngày 3/1/1987 đến ngày 1/1/2001, mà có đủ điều kiện kết hôn theo quy định của Luật này thì có nghĩa vụ đăng ký kết hôn trong thời hạn hai năm, kể từ ngày 1/1/2001 (ngày Luật này có hiệu lực) cho đến ngày 1/1/2003. Từ sau ngày 1/1/2003 mà họ không đăng ký kết hôn thì pháp luật không công nhận họ là vợ chồng."

Any wedding from 1/1/2003 without being officially registered for marriage (aka no marriage certificate) is not considered a legal marriage under the Vietnamese law.

People may want to ask if wedded after 1/1/2003 but without marriage certificate is illegal?

1. No, it is not, unless the two persons do not meet legal marriage requirements like age, same sex, very close (close cousins).

2. It is not recognized when dispute happens:

- Property disputes : if it is under one's name, it is that one's property only.

- Financial support : no responsibility if break-up

- Divorce: there is no divorce as the marriage has not been recognized by the law

My personal opinion and what I saw from my uncles' case,

- If you had a wedding without obtaining a marriage certificate, then explain it clearly.

- If you intend to do it but you have doubt and you cannot deal with the pressure - then do not do it.

You should understand, no parents in Vietnam (even with the new generation) want their kids go to another country without having a properly wedding FIRST and other elders/relatives can attend.

Again, what I said above was my opinion, depending on your case, then make your decision.

Edited by Ulink2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

With our case, our paperwork is getting done really fast. Faster than normal. So she will be coming to the US first and then later, we will go back to Vietnam for a big wedding ceremony with her family/friends. At least that is the plan for now, it could change.

I know it's very important for her family to have a big wedding. This is off topic, but it seems people in Vietnam (and probably other parts of Asia) love to gossip! Rumor on the streets is that I gave my fiancee's mother $10,000 to buy her. Yeah... right. So you have to be careful what you say to those people that know a girl's family. They don't understand American life or life in other parts of the world, unless they happen to travel outside of Vietnam.

My personal opinion would be to just avoid causing trouble and get married in the destination country first. Better to be safe than sorry.

With our case, our paperwork is getting done really fast. Faster than normal. So she will be coming to the US first and then later, we will go back to Vietnam for a big wedding ceremony with her family/friends. At least that is the plan for now, it could change.

I know it's very important for her family to have a big wedding. This is off topic, but it seems people in Vietnam (and probably other parts of Asia) love to gossip! Rumor on the streets is that I gave my fiancee's mother $10,000 to buy her. Yeah... right. So you have to be careful what you say to those people that know a girl's family. They don't understand American life or life in other parts of the world, unless they happen to travel outside of Vietnam.

My personal opinion would be to just avoid causing trouble and get married in the destination country first. Better to be safe than sorry.

Agreed to all.

Just for this topic, Americans draw very clear line between girlfriend/boyfriend - moving together - engaged - wedded while other culture may not.

Gossip :) yes. We have heard a lot about us too, her mother cried one time when somebody made some hurtful comments which were not true.

Edited by Ulink2

If you have a Dam Hoi (engagement ceremony), the US Consulate in Vietnam would not view the petitioner and beneficiary as married. Base on my case, my fiance just had her interview and the CO asked if we had an engagement ceremony and how many people attended. She even presented pictures of our ceremony, and at the end our visa application was approved.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

I know this thread is a few months old, but I agree with what everyone has stated. Don't risk it by getting married before you receive the K-1. My fiancee and I also chose to apply for a K-1 and are currently waiting for the NOA2. Our engagement has been a hybrid of sorts and we had also entertained the idea of having a wedding ceremony, but ultimately chose to wait until she arrives to the US, per K-1 rules.

I proposed to her on one knee traditional western style with a diamond engagement ring, but made it very clear to her, that we couldn't go forward unless her parents also accepted, which luckily for me they did. After proposing and receiving her mother's and father's blessing, me and her entire family went out for dinner and we decided that since we weren't getting married in Vietnam, we would still practice the traditional Vietnamese engagement ceremony.

Since my mom can't fly, she was not able to be present, but my best friend of 18 years and his wife were able to. On a side note, he and his wife are Filipino and everyone thought they were VK, it was pretty funny! Anyway, I didn't have lots of groomsmen or bridesmaids to accept any of the gifts, but I learned about the traditions and made sure to present my fiancee's family with a roasted pig, betel nuts and leaves, cake, money and other gifts and offerings in red wrapping to place on her family's ancestor mantel. We also rented out a restaurant and had our Dinh Hon, that a few hundred friends and family attended. In addition to the dowry, I also presented my fiancee with diamond earrings and diamond necklace and brought individual gifts for her, father, mother, brother, sister-n-law, sister and nephews.

I know how important the wedding ceremony is to Vietnamese families to include your fiancee's, but heed the warnings and suggestions that the other VJ members have laid out before you. Do not get married or have your fiancee mention anything about already being married during the interview. Have a Dam Hoi or Din Hon and continue being patient until the interview day arrives.

post-159151-0-28191200-1422210613_thumb.jpgpost-159151-0-21310700-1422210614_thumb.jpgpost-159151-0-78596300-1422210614_thumb.jpgpost-159151-0-60299300-1422210612_thumb.jpg

Edited by incon3037r

K-1 Timeline

2015-01-04 :Submitted I-129F to Lewisville, TX Lockbox via USPS

2015-01-06 :Received delivery confirmation from USPS and routed to the USCIS California Service Center

2015-01-08 :NOA-1 (Received by text and email)

2015-01-12 :NOA-1 (Received official Receipt Notice)

2015-01-15 :Fiancée applied for single status certificate

2015-01-20 :Fiancée got household registration Book (Ho Khau)

2015-01-20 :Fiancée applied for Police Certificate #2 and received it the same day! Without coffee money!

2015-01-25 :Fiancée received her single status certificate

2015-01-30 :NOA-2 (Received approval in 22 days by text and email)

2015-02-04 :NOA-2 (Received official approval, Form I-797)

2015-02-17 :NVC received case

2015-02-18 :Received HCM# from NVC and case sent to Consulate
2015-02-21 :Submitted DS-160 form printed out confirmation barcode
2015-02-21 :Created online account on ustraveldocs.com/vn
2015-02-24 :Consulate Received
2015-02-24 :Paid visa fee $265
2015-02-24 :Mailed DS-160, copy of passport and 2 passport photos
2015-02-25 :Scheduled K-1 interview
2015-03-03 :Packet 3 Received, but my fiancée's name was misspelled
2015-03-03 :Did online inquiry to fix misspelled name
2015-03-15 :Correct spelling was fixed in the Consulate's system
2015-03-18 :Received updated Packet 3 with named spelled correctly
2015-03-18 :Scheduled medical exam @ Cho Ray Hospital
2015-03-26 :Medical exam and vaccinations completed
2015-04-07 :Received results from Cho Ray
2015-05-07 :Arrived in SG with I-134 and supporting documentation
2015-05-08 :Attending K-1 interview with my fiancee and she passed
2015-05-28 :Arrived at LAX and made it through customs without any problems
2015-06-06 :Got married!
2015-06-18 :Applied for SS card
2015-06-25 :Received SS card with her married name
AOS Timeline
2015-09-16 :Mailed AOS package to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
2015-09-18 :USPS delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 6:16 am
2015-09-22 :Received notification of AOS package via text and email
2015-09-24 :Check for AOS was cashed
2015-09-26 :Received three separate NOA-1 for forms I-485, I-131 and I-765
2015-10-05 :Received Biometrics appointment letter for the 14th of October @ 10 am
2015-10-14 :Completed Biometrics without any incidents
2015-11-18 :Received USCIS email/text update showing approval for I-131 and I-765 forms
2015-11-23 :Received USCIS Form I-797 in the mail
2015-11-24 :Received USCIS email/text update showing EAD/AP combo card mailed out
2016-02-19 :Received Learner's Permit from NV DMV
2016-03-18 :Received USCIS email/text update scheduling appointment for April 19th
2016-04-14 :Started working @ first job in the U.S.

2016-04-19 :Passed AOS interview

2016-04-20 :Green card being made.

2016-04-28 :Green card arrived in mail.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi All,

We are working on our K1 Visa; already received NOA2 and waiting for paper works at NVC forwarded to Vietnam.

We are also planning to have a traditional wedding for our friends and families in February.

Is it safe to mention this at the Interview or should my fiance hide it?

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

I don't understand why people file for fiancee visa but want to get married locally.

Then they should have filed for spouse visa.

You can have the wedding that's disguised as a party or engagement ceremony,

and have a good chance of getting away with it if everyone keeps silence about it,

but why subject yourself to such risk (and fraud)?

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Timeline

I don't understand why people file for fiancee visa but want to get married locally.

Then they should have filed for spouse visa.

You can have the wedding that's disguised as a party or engagement ceremony,

and have a good chance of getting away with it if everyone keeps silence about it,

but why subject yourself to such risk (and fraud)?

Maybe you know more on this topic, but to my understanding an engagement ceremony does not replace or disguise a wedding! If I were to marry my fiance in Vietnam, we would still have to perform these ceremonies. It's also been noted that the Vietnamese Consulate more times than not will inquire if you and your fiancée took part in a traditional engagement ceremony. This is not fraud or placing any risk on your K-1 visa outcome like actually being married would.

A Le Dinh Hon/ Dam Hoi is a traditional ceremony, where the groom and his family and friends make a long procession, bringing gifts to present to his fiancée's parents, who present it at the ancestor's mantel and share with extended family and friends as an announcement of their daughter's engagement. The fiancé also presents his fiancée with an engagement ring, necklace and earrings. When everything is agreed upon it called Dam Cuoi. The announcement of the engagement is then celebrated with friends and family at a party of sorts.

No vows were exchanged and nothing in this ceremony remotely sounds like a wedding to me. If anything allows the fiancée's family to celebrate and share in the engagement.

Edited by incon3037r

K-1 Timeline

2015-01-04 :Submitted I-129F to Lewisville, TX Lockbox via USPS

2015-01-06 :Received delivery confirmation from USPS and routed to the USCIS California Service Center

2015-01-08 :NOA-1 (Received by text and email)

2015-01-12 :NOA-1 (Received official Receipt Notice)

2015-01-15 :Fiancée applied for single status certificate

2015-01-20 :Fiancée got household registration Book (Ho Khau)

2015-01-20 :Fiancée applied for Police Certificate #2 and received it the same day! Without coffee money!

2015-01-25 :Fiancée received her single status certificate

2015-01-30 :NOA-2 (Received approval in 22 days by text and email)

2015-02-04 :NOA-2 (Received official approval, Form I-797)

2015-02-17 :NVC received case

2015-02-18 :Received HCM# from NVC and case sent to Consulate
2015-02-21 :Submitted DS-160 form printed out confirmation barcode
2015-02-21 :Created online account on ustraveldocs.com/vn
2015-02-24 :Consulate Received
2015-02-24 :Paid visa fee $265
2015-02-24 :Mailed DS-160, copy of passport and 2 passport photos
2015-02-25 :Scheduled K-1 interview
2015-03-03 :Packet 3 Received, but my fiancée's name was misspelled
2015-03-03 :Did online inquiry to fix misspelled name
2015-03-15 :Correct spelling was fixed in the Consulate's system
2015-03-18 :Received updated Packet 3 with named spelled correctly
2015-03-18 :Scheduled medical exam @ Cho Ray Hospital
2015-03-26 :Medical exam and vaccinations completed
2015-04-07 :Received results from Cho Ray
2015-05-07 :Arrived in SG with I-134 and supporting documentation
2015-05-08 :Attending K-1 interview with my fiancee and she passed
2015-05-28 :Arrived at LAX and made it through customs without any problems
2015-06-06 :Got married!
2015-06-18 :Applied for SS card
2015-06-25 :Received SS card with her married name
AOS Timeline
2015-09-16 :Mailed AOS package to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
2015-09-18 :USPS delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 6:16 am
2015-09-22 :Received notification of AOS package via text and email
2015-09-24 :Check for AOS was cashed
2015-09-26 :Received three separate NOA-1 for forms I-485, I-131 and I-765
2015-10-05 :Received Biometrics appointment letter for the 14th of October @ 10 am
2015-10-14 :Completed Biometrics without any incidents
2015-11-18 :Received USCIS email/text update showing approval for I-131 and I-765 forms
2015-11-23 :Received USCIS Form I-797 in the mail
2015-11-24 :Received USCIS email/text update showing EAD/AP combo card mailed out
2016-02-19 :Received Learner's Permit from NV DMV
2016-03-18 :Received USCIS email/text update scheduling appointment for April 19th
2016-04-14 :Started working @ first job in the U.S.

2016-04-19 :Passed AOS interview

2016-04-20 :Green card being made.

2016-04-28 :Green card arrived in mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.