Robby999

Officials: Don't shun suspected Ebola contacts

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The family living in the Dallas apartment where Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan got sick has been moved to a private residence in a gated community, and a hazardous-materials crew has decontaminated their apartment, city officials said.

Authorities pleaded with the public Saturday to be sensitive to those being evaluated for Ebola and not to shun them.

"The people who are being monitored are people just like your family," Dallas Judge Clay Jenkins said at a daily update hosted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "There is a lot of misinformation and erroneous fear. ... The people that are being monitored are real people, too — that need your prayers."

The treatment of the family drew criticism when they were quarantined in an apartment with Duncan's contaminated belongings for days.

Jenkins says he went to the apartment with two epidemiologists to apologize for the delay in removing the soiled items, which happened five days after Duncan was admitted to the hospital.

Hotels, apartments and other providers had refused to take the family, city spokeswoman Sana Syed said.

"No one wants this family," Syed said.

The family — Louise Troh, originally from Liberia, her 13-year-old son and two nephews — was confined at home under armed guard while public health officials monitored them .

Troh said she couldn't understand why she and her family were left to live for four days with Duncan's contaminated belongings.

"Only the towel is in the plastic bag, but the rest of his stuff stayed the same on the bed," Troh said. "The bedsheets, everything is on the bed."

A hazardous materials crew arrived Friday to bag up and sanitize the materials.

Meanwhile, Duncan is in an intensive care unit in Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. "He is ill," says David Lakey, commissioner of health at the Texas Department of Health. "Our prayers and our thoughts are with him right now."

Dallas County and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention epidemiologists have narrowed the list of people who may have had contact with Duncan and are being monitored from 100 to 50. Only nine of those contacts are considered high-risk.

The higher-risk contacts are being monitored for fever twice daily. They are not allowed to leave their residence or have visitors.

Ashoka Mukpo, an American freelance video journalist working for NBC News in Liberia, was diagnosed Thursday with Ebola and was being treated in the capital of Monrovia. He was expected to return to the United States this weekend along with the rest of the news crew.

The virus that causes Ebola is not airborne and can be spread only through direct contact with the bodily fluids — blood, sweat, vomit, feces, urine, saliva or semen — of an infected person who is showing symptoms.

About 230 U.S. troops have been deployed for the Ebola mission. About two dozen are in Senegal setting up a transportation center and the rest are in Liberia. The Army on Friday said that up to 3,200 soldiers from various units around the country will be going to Liberia, including 1,800 from Fort Campbell, Ky., who will arrive later this month.

The CDC is working in infected countries to perform exit screening, CDC Director Tom Frieden said in a daily update on Saturday. So far, 77 people have not boarded airplanes due to the screening process that looks for fever or obvious symptoms, he says.

"The first case of Ebola is obviously scary and unprecedented," Frieden said. "I know there have been a lot of concerns about the process of monitoring people when they come into this country. our number one priority is the safety of Americans."

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/04/officials-dont-shun-suspected-ebola-contacts/16719543/

I think I will play it safe and just avoid anyone that I know or suspect has been exposed to Ebola. The last few years of lies, miscalculations, and under-estimations of our government and their minions has left me a bit wary of anything they say or do.

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I think I will play it safe and just avoid anyone that I know or suspect has been exposed to Ebola. The last few years of lies, miscalculations, and under-estimations of our government and their minions has left me a bit wary of anything they say or do.

Do you hide from cars? :huh:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Do you hide from cars? :huh:

No, but I don't stand in front of or ride in cars that I know or suspect are driven by drunk drivers either!

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

No, but I don't stand in front of or ride in cars that I know or suspect are driven by drunk drivers either!

Drunk drivers crash and kill with no warning most of the time. You're driving done the street, they cross into your lane, BOOM! head on collision. They strike out of nowhere.

Just like that guy with Ebola at the coffee shop this morning who sneezed and got Ebola tainted snot flying your way at high speed.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Other Timeline

Interesting, so how do you set about avoiding people who may have been in contact with Ebola? Aside from not traveling to West Africa? Not traveling to West Africa is pretty easy for most people, it's only those who feel they want to help those who are in distress that might be at risk, and somehow I don't see you in that category.

Filed: Timeline

What a bunch of paranoid cr@p! :rolleyes:

Here are the "unconfirmed" cases - the scary stuff, I suppose:

• FL - Hospital officials say the patient is feeling better and has been moved out of isolation.
  • MD - Maryland hospital says patient has malaria, not Ebola
  • VA - UPDATE: 2 Virginia patients tested for Ebola, tests likely negative
  • MA - Massachusetts physician Dr. Rick Sacra, who had been successfully treated for Ebola, has been admitted to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester Saturday night for signs of pneumonia, according to multiple reports.

Frankfurt: Ebola patient arrives in Germany from Sierra Leone. This is an infected doctor from Uganda who was purposely transported to Germany for treatment. If this makes the list, where is the French nurse that was previously transported to and successfully treated in Hamburg?

This is why you leave it to professionals. Bloggers such as the one that put up this paranoid "tracker" simply lack the expertise to inform the public effectively. They're generally speaking just full of themselves and their irrational fear. And they like to spread that fear. Of course, that's just up your alley, son, ain't it?

Oh my god someone made an Ebola tracker. :lol:

We have nine Ebola threads on page 1 where are the mods when they can do something productive. Lol. J/k

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We have nine Ebola threads on page 1 where are the mods when they can do something productive. Lol. J/k

We're waiting for you to start your "Ebola" thread like you did with Michael Brown