Robby999

Officials: Don't shun suspected Ebola contacts

44 posts in this topic

If you want to consider it a racist comment go ahead.

Oakland schools adopt 'Black English' policy

The school board for the Oakland school system Wednesday night voted unanimously to recognize Black English, or "Ebonics," as a second language, and the primary language of its African-American students.

It's expected that the school district will now seek state and federal funds for bilingual education.

Dr. Gwen DeBow is a teacher at Webster Academy School, a public Oakland elementary school. She is one of more than 100 Oakland teachers already developing and using a Black English curriculum.

The Oakland school district hasn't said exactly how it will implement a Black English-as-a-second-language program -- whether it will mean separate classes, new teachers and new books. For now, Oakland educators will only say, it's a start.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9612/19/black.english/index.html

So if you throw in an ebonics class during the 5 hours of class time what class gets thrown out the window?

Maybe study about countries overseas?... You know union teachers will not spend one more minute in school than needed...

liberia ... Yep that is near russia correct.

Nice try Lib, but fail you did.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/14/us/oakland-scratches-plan-to-teach-black-english.html

Oakland Scratches Plan To Teach Black English

The officials said they never intended to instruct the 28,000 black students of the Oakland Unified School District in ebonics (from the words ''ebony'' and ''phonics'') or what the two resolutions generally refer to as ''African Language Systems.'' Rather, they said they want to use the same tools that are used with students brought up speaking a foreign language in order to help black students improve their English-language skills.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Nice try Lib, but fail you did.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/14/us/oakland-scratches-plan-to-teach-black-english.html

Oakland Scratches Plan To Teach Black English

The officials said they never intended to instruct the 28,000 black students of the Oakland Unified School District in ebonics (from the words ''ebony'' and ''phonics'') or what the two resolutions generally refer to as ''African Language Systems.'' Rather, they said they want to use the same tools that are used with students brought up speaking a foreign language in order to help black students improve their English-language skills.

Like the extra instruction that many hispanic kids get so they get a better grasp of the English language which in turn will aid them in learning more effectively across the board?

So help clarify this, lib: When Ebonics is taught as a second language then students taking that class end up missing out on something more important. Does that also apply when it is Spanish or French or Japanses or whathaveyou being taught as a second language?

Here here. Really. You got to be kidding. How about redneck slang. Can we teach it too. Are you really equating Ebonics to learning Japanese.

Edited by The Nature Boy

Like the extra instruction that many hispanic kids get so they get a better grasp of the English language which in turn will aid them in learning more effectively across the board?

Why yes. I don't understand how Lib could have missed that part... :rolleyes:

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Check Teddy's post since he beat me to it. Are you still disappointed?

Whatever. I gots to go know. It's late here :)

Whatever. I gots to go know. It's late here :)

I still want my hug. I'm entitled, remember? (F)

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you want to consider it a racist comment go ahead.

Oakland schools adopt 'Black English' policy

The school board for the Oakland school system Wednesday night voted unanimously to recognize Black English, or "Ebonics," as a second language, and the primary language of its African-American students.

It's expected that the school district will now seek state and federal funds for bilingual education.

Dr. Gwen DeBow is a teacher at Webster Academy School, a public Oakland elementary school. She is one of more than 100 Oakland teachers already developing and using a Black English curriculum.

The Oakland school district hasn't said exactly how it will implement a Black English-as-a-second-language program -- whether it will mean separate classes, new teachers and new books. For now, Oakland educators will only say, it's a start.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9612/19/black.english/index.html

So if you throw in an ebonics class during the 5 hours of class time what class gets thrown out the window?

Maybe study about countries overseas?... You know union teachers will not spend one more minute in school than needed...

liberia ... Yep that is near russia correct.

Perhaps a silly question but have you ever studied linguistics? It's quite interesting.

African American Vernacular English is a dialect of English, it's not a second language. Recognising it as a mode of speech is perfectly legitimate.

Filed: Timeline

Here here. Really. You got to be kidding. How about redneck slang. Can we teach it too. Are you really equating Ebonics to learning Japanese.

No, I am not. But I would suggest that there are a number of languages that are taught that would probably have limited value and yet, students are still free to learn them.

And by the way, it's "hear, hear" not "here, here". Hear, hear also expresses agreement with the viewpoint rather than disagreement. So you really managed to fail on both fronts with this simple, two work expression. If only I had taken redneck slang in school...

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

So help clarify this, lib: When Ebonics is taught as a second language then students taking that class end up missing out on something more important. Does that also apply when it is Spanish or French or Japanses or whathaveyou being taught as a second language?

I believe lib has stated exactly that in a previous thread. I believe it was in a thread where he made reference to dropping the foreign language classes in favor of firearm instruction classes.

I've been shunning VJ lately. Too much Ebola here.

You have mastered the Philippine word for on line BS

E Bola