dhlunar

Embassy requesting I-864A

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

The NVC forwarded my in-laws case to the Embassy two weeks ago, and my in-laws have their interview in two weeks.

This morning we received an email from the Embassy with the requested documents that need to be brought to the Embassy at the time of the interview or sent by DHL. One of the items requested was an I-864A from the spouse of the petitioner (spouse of petitioner is me). We never sent an I-864A to NVC because my wife's (the petitioner) income alone was enough to meet the required financial requirement. Also, I was under the assumption that if a I-864 is sent to NVC then they check it at NVC and not at the Embassy. So, does anyone know if I need to file an I-864A with the Embassy or was that just generic because the petitioner is married?

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

It's probably a boilerate message. If your spouse meets the sponsorship requirements by themselves then you do not need to add in an I-864A to the mix.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

It's probably a boilerate message. If your spouse meets the sponsorship requirements by themselves then you do not need to add in an I-864A to the mix.

Thanks!

I told my wife to email the Embassy to verify. Email is the only form of communication with the Immigrant Visa section at the Embassy my in-laws are being interviewed at. To be on the safe side (and for the interest of time), I am going to send the paperwork to my in-laws just in case.

If NVC didn't "review" the I-864 when they had it before then sent it off to the Embassy then what was the point of the AOS fee?

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

I would email the embassy and print out the reply and take it to the interview. The embassy can ask for any additional items they want. I swear there is o communication between the NVC and the embassy. Its a free-for-all ! LOL good luck !

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

NVC reviews the financial docs, and may give a heads up if something is seriously wrong, but the embassy approves it.

Did you file taxes "married- filing jointly" or "married- filing separately"? If the first, that is likely why they are asking, but yes, it is also possible it is just a generic list of paperwork.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

We filed jointly. My wife is over there now and said that she will email the embassy, but ask me to mail them just in case.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The NVC forwarded my in-laws case to the Embassy two weeks ago, and my in-laws have their interview in two weeks.

This morning we received an email from the Embassy with the requested documents that need to be brought to the Embassy at the time of the interview or sent by DHL. One of the items requested was an I-864A from the spouse of the petitioner (spouse of petitioner is me). We never sent an I-864A to NVC because my wife's (the petitioner) income alone was enough to meet the required financial requirement. Also, I was under the assumption that if a I-864 is sent to NVC then they check it at NVC and not at the Embassy. So, does anyone know if I need to file an I-864A with the Embassy or was that just generic because the petitioner is married?

Someone on VJ said that when they when to the embassy for their IR5 interview, the CO asked for the petitioner's spouse I 864A to make sure the spouse is aware of what the petitioner is doing

Filed: IR-5 Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Someone on VJ said that when they when to the embassy for their IR5 interview, the CO asked for the petitioner's spouse I 864A to make sure the spouse is aware of what the petitioner is doing

Instead of aware, I would say supportive of in laws coming over

Well I hope that they want it because I spent all afternoon trying to send it to my mother-in-law. My wife is currently with my in-laws.

Had to send the papers via DHL in order to be guarantee that it would get there in time. I tried sending it via Priority Mail International Express via the Post Office and they told me that there was only one city in the country that I was sending it to and since I wasn't sending it to that city, I couldn't use it. So the clerk at the Post Office told me to send it Priority Mail International and I asked how long and she told me 6 to 10 business days to get to the country and then the actual delivery is based on the postal system in the other country. When I asked the clerk at the Post Office if there was any service that guaranteed delivery by a particular date, she said there was (I forgot the name), but the date quoted was about two weeks away, and the price was more then what I spent at DHL. DHL estimates the papers will be there in 5 days.

Wife emailed the Embassy to ask if they needed the I-864A even though she makes enough without my income to meet the required amount. Embassy replied saying the following documents are still missing or updated forms need to be brought to the Embassy at the time of the interview and repeated the list that we got a couple of days ago.

Also, I take it since both of my in-laws have their own case number, I needed to fill out two I-864A, the same way that my wife had to file two I-864?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Wife emailed the Embassy to ask if they needed the I-864A even though she makes enough without my income to meet the required amount. Embassy replied saying the following documents are still missing or updated forms need to be brought to the Embassy at the time of the interview and repeated the list that we got a couple of days ago.

Also, I take it since both of my in-laws have their own case number, I needed to fill out two I-864A, the same way that my wife had to file two I-864?

Yes, you would need to provide an I-864A to go along with each of her I-864 forms.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Other Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

hello,

I am the intending immigrant and my father petitioned for me. but my parents financial expenes are supproted by my brother. so in my case my brother sponsoring for financial support ; already submitted i-864 / affitavid of support and also submitted all the required fees such as AOS fees and IV visa application fees. recently NVC asked my brother to submit my civil documents. but my question is that I read in the following website of NVC (http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Step_4_Collect_Financial_Documents.html) in a table contain PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP is written that

(If you completed Form I-864A, submit evidence that proves your relationship to the sponsor (the person who filed Form I-864). You can prove your relationship by submitting a photocopy of one of the documents below:

• Birth certificate;
  • Marriage certificate;
  • Adoption certificate;
  • The petitioner or joint sponsor’s most recent Federal Income Tax Returns, if you are listed as a dependent; or
  • A signed, written statement describing the relationship)

so, I want to know that who will fill-up the i-864a for, is it my father in part 1 and my brother who is sponcoring me in part 2. If anyone has any sample of this form then it will be helpful for me. thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The petitioner must file an I-864, even if using a joint sponsor. Your parents are the petitioners. I assume they file taxes jointly? Then the father as the USC petitioner/sponsor fills out an I-864 and his wife, the mother, would fill out an I-864A to go along with his I-864. A copy of their marriage certificate is proof of their relationship, though the taxes filed jointly as married should be too. The I-864A instructions state a spouse does not need to prove relationship and that they share an address. http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864ainstr.pdf

The brother would fill out his own I-864 as joint sponsor. If he claims the parents as dependents, then he needs to include them in his household size too.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Other Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

thanks fpr your reply. My father is my petitionar and he is not US citizen, he is a green card holder. My mother is also same as my father. They are not incapable to do job. so therefore, my brother support them such as food, medical insurance and other necessary facilities. when my father applied my brother gave all the necessary fees to file up immigration procedure. so I search but not got any information is that if the petitional is unemployed then other relative such as my brother can submit i-864 as he already submitted it. and still we didn't received any mail from NVC that petitionar should also file i-864.

and another thing is that my brother paid all th visa processing fees and I submitted DS-260 by online. after few days NVC asked to submit my civil documents such as birth certificate,passport photocopy, photographs and police clearance certificate.

but once I read in the NVC website and in that website they said the above mentioned in red color. that is I want know is that my petitionar is unemployed, no assessts have and residing with my brother, does he need to still fill-up i-864 and also i-864a to show the relationship with the joint sponsor(my brother)

P.S: my brother submitted i-864 and on that form he mentioned he is the only joint sponsor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.