2,664 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The latest on our 6+ month saga. (For those just tuning in... I-601 received on March 5, 2015. Got senator's office involved two weeks ago. Their first reply was "it's been assigned to an officer")

I called my senator's office again this week, since there had been no changes in two weeks since their first inquiry. They called me today. They said, "an officer looked at it, but they need more information". He continued with, "it's not unusual for them to request more evidence". He continued on to say that when we get the letter, to respond as soon as possible and to let his office know when we have so they can keep on it.

We don't know when they looked at it. All we know is that we have not received any RFE letter, and the USCIS website still hasn't updated with anything. (Still says "case received").

Now, the first uncertainty is... we don't know which one of us will get the letter. I'm assuming it will be her (the beneficiary) and not me (the US citizen) since it is technically *her* waiver. But, that's a problem... her mail in the UK is regularly lost. In fact, we never did get the initial letter from USCIS about their receipt of the waiver application.

The second uncertainty is the length of time we have to respond. I have read that it's 30 days. Mail from the US to her location takes a solid 10 days. That's a third of the time gone. If the request is something that takes time to get (say, perhaps, an updated police certificate), that can take another 10 days. That really pushes the time limit.

So, with these two issues looming over us, we decide to get on a three-way call with USCIS to find out if we can get any sort of information about the RFE (when it was actually sent... what it is in regards to... anything)

After spending 20 minutes on the phone with a USCIS rep, she was having "technical difficulties" and decided to send us to "an immigrations officer". She transferred our call to them, but they were all busy, and we had no choice but to use their "callback" system. Their callback system claimed it would be 35 minutes of wait before we would get a call back. This was not ideal, because I have no idea how to add her to a three-way call when the call wasn't started by me. Secondly, we had no idea who they were going to call... me or her.

So, we all hang up and we wait...

... and wait ...

... and wait.

45 minutes go by with no call, so she (being in the UK and it being late in the evening with an early day to start tomorrow) gives up and goes to bed. Rightfully so.

So, guess what?... A full 90 minutes after their callback system says that they'll call us back in 35 minutes, I get a phone call. I answer it (and ironically, still have to wait five minutes before someone answers the other side).

The immigration officer (who, by the way, was very short with me) asks me the case number and asks what the question is. I explain all of the above to her. She interrupts me mid-sentence and says, "I'm sorry, but since you have asked your senator to get involved, this becomes a congressional matter and we are not authorized to talk about any information about this case with you. You must go through your senator for any additional information."

What.

A.

Load.

Of.

#######.

I was already of the opinion that these people were next to useless. This, however, just certifies it.

Absolutely.... useless.

So, yeah... no help whatsoever from USCIS, and apparently no help EVER.

Amazing, isn't it?!?

I guess we wait. And if we don't get the RFE letter in the mail within a week, we call our senator's office... again.

This is such a load.

Edited by HerCookie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

The latest on our 6+ month saga. (For those just tuning in... I-601 received on March 5, 2015. Got senator's office involved two weeks ago. Their first reply was "it's been assigned to an officer")

I called my senator's office again this week, since there had been no changes in two weeks since their first inquiry. They called me today. They said, "an officer looked at it, but they need more information". He continued with, "it's not unusual for them to request more evidence". He continued on to say that when we get the letter, to respond as soon as possible and to let his office know when we have so they can keep on it.

We don't know when they looked at it. All we know is that we have not received any RFE letter, and the USCIS website still hasn't updated with anything. (Still says "case received").

Now, the first uncertainty is... we don't know which one of us will get the letter. I'm assuming it will be her (the beneficiary) and not me (the US citizen) since it is technically *her* waiver. But, that's a problem... her mail in the UK is regularly lost. In fact, we never did get the initial letter from USCIS about their receipt of the waiver application.

The second uncertainty is the length of time we have to respond. I have read that it's 30 days. Mail from the US to her location takes a solid 10 days. That's a third of the time gone. If the request is something that takes time to get (say, perhaps, an updated police certificate), that can take another 10 days. That really pushes the time limit.

So, with these two issues looming over us, we decide to get on a three-way call with USCIS to find out if we can get any sort of information about the RFE (when it was actually sent... what it is in regards to... anything)

After spending 20 minutes on the phone with a USCIS rep, she was having "technical difficulties" and decided to send us to "an immigrations officer". She transferred our call to them, but they were all busy, and we had no choice but to use their "callback" system. Their callback system claimed it would be 35 minutes of wait before we would get a call back. This was not ideal, because I have no idea how to add her to a three-way call when the call wasn't started by me. Secondly, we had no idea who they were going to call... me or her.

... and wait ...

... and wait.

45 minutes go by with no call, so she (being in the UK and it being late in the evening with an early day to start tomorrow) gives up and goes to bed. Rightfully so.

So, guess what?... A full 90 minutes after their callback system says that they'll call us back in 35 minutes, I get a phone call. I answer it (and ironically, still have to wait five minutes before someone answers the other side).

The immigration officer (who, by the way, was very short with me) asks me the case number and asks what the question is. I explain all of the above to her. She interrupts me mid-sentence and says, "I'm sorry, but since you have asked your senator to get involved, this becomes a congressional matter and we are not authorized to talk about any information about this case with you. You must go through your senator for any additional information."

What.

A.

Load.

Of.

#######.

I was already of the opinion that these people were next to useless. This, however, just certifies it.

Absolutely.... useless.

Amazing, isn't it?!?

I guess we wait. And if we don't get the RFE letter in the mail within a week, we call our senator's office... again.

This is such a load.

That is so frustrating! I would have absolutely lost it if they told me that. I guess the silver lining is that someone's actually looked at your case…hopefully the RFE comes quickly!!

11/06: Husband EWI from Mexico
11/08: Started dating

11/11: Husband got deported
1/11/14: Got married
3/13/14-11/2/14:
I-130
1/26/15-3/17/15: NVC

5/28/15: INTERVIEW - denied

6/8/15: I-601/I-212 waivers received

11/17/15: I-601/I-212 waivers APPROVED

12/11/15: HUBBY HOME!! :dance:

Timeline

It's amazing how government forgets who they're working for. They don't work for themselves... They work for me. Heck, for that matter, my Senator works for me.

How dare they tell me that they won't discuss this with me!

"Of the people, by the people, for the people"

Unbelievable.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

... and wait ...

... and wait.

What.

A.

Load.

Of.

#######.

Absolutely.... useless.

Amazing, isn't it?!?

This is such a load.

Unbelievable! :ranting:

Stay strong. Hopefully you get the letter soon.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

@HerСookie , Thank you very muсh for sharing with us this detailed information about your experienсе!!! It's really really helpful for those wondering how to deal with this beyond of normal situation we're all stuсk in!!! We're going to do the same thing....totally pissed off of waiting...It's enough!!!

Timeline

@HerСookie , Thank you very muсh for sharing with us this detailed information about your experienсе!!! It's really really helpful for those wondering how to deal with this beyond of normal situation we're all stuсk in!!! We're going to do the same thing....totally pissed off of waiting...It's enough!!!

It's my pleasure. First and foremost, I want to help others as much as I can. This is *the* most frustrating experience I've ever encountered in my life, and if my frustration and experiences can help someone else get through the same process, then it's worth the effort put into posting it.

And, secondly... it's therapeutic. :)

Thank you for your kind words.

Timeline

As for our case... so far, neither the USCIS or CEAC websites have changed in any way, despite the fact that (supposedly) they have issued an RFE. I'm hoping this means there wasn't an RFE and that my senator's office misunderstood USCIS's reply. (But since they won't talk to us, now, we have no way of independently finding out. Grr.)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My ceac updated to administrative processing today!!! I think my expedite was granted!!! Can't breath!!! Received August 20!

WOW! I'm feeling like I should've done an expedite request.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

This so frustrating! May 4th received date with no updates. My attorney called two days ago since I'm the petitioner and they won't give me any info. They didn't give her any info either. Told her the same thing that they are working on March 2nd. And that she can't submit an inquiry until after 30 days. What do we do? The anxiety is making me sick and depressed. My husband who's waiting to start his life with me after so long is really going through a tough time as well and this is straining our relationship:(

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

It really isn't fair at all.

Any changes for anyone today? Anyone else around May 4th or May 7th?

Nothing is fair with this proсess!!! Espeсially there are Marсh filers still waiting for a deсision, and it's getting worse and worse...we're 3/19/15.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

The Customer service reps are of no help. We just spoke to them with my husband on three way to ok them giving me any information. No info at all. All they said was that it's still pending and they are working on March 3rd. Rude and short.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.