Dina1992

Police certificate from the US??

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi, i have a question. It says, that everyone hast to get a Police certificate from each country in which the applicant has resided for one year or longer. (For the interview)

I lived 13 month in the US as an au pair. Do I need to get a police certificate from the US, if yes, where would I get it?

Thanks!!!

August 5th 2012- Became a couple

May 18th 2013- Got engaged

February 7th 2014- Filed I-129F

February 21st 2014- NOA1

August 13th 2014 - RFE

Now waiting for NOA2

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes you will need a criminal history of your 13 months in the USA due to the fact it asks for any countries you stayed in over 12 months.

I would contact the Department of Public Safety in whichever state you resided in during that time to get a criminal history of your 13 month stay. If you stayed in multiple states then I would contact each one for a criminal history.

11/18/2013 - Filed I-129F
11/25/2013 - NOA1 text/email received
05/01/2014 - NOA2 text/Email received
06/18/2014 - Interview - Approved
07/31/2014 - Point of Entry
10/17/2014 - Married
10/23/2014 - Filed AOS/EAD/AP
11/07/2014 - 3x NOA1 text/emails received

12/05/2014 - Biometrics

12/22/2014 - EAD/AP Approved

01/02/2015 - EAD/AP Card Received

Timeline

Ok, thank you so much!

February 21st 2014- NOA1

August 13th 2014 - RFE

Now waiting for NOA2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was once an exchange student when I was 15 but turned 16 after 2 months of arrival and stayed for a yr in Seattle. Do I need police clearance for that also? Thanks.

AOS Journey:

March 30 - AOS/EAD/AP sent

April 2 - USCIS received

April 9 - NOA1

May 6 - Biometrics

May 7 - Case is ready for interview

May 21 - Request for EAD expedite

May 26 - contact congressman for EAD expedite

June 1 - EAD card in production

June 2 - EAD approved

June 6 - EAD/AP combo card received

Yes you will need a criminal history of your 13 months in the USA due to the fact it asks for any countries you stayed in over 12 months.

I would contact the Department of Public Safety in whichever state you resided in during that time to get a criminal history of your 13 month stay. If you stayed in multiple states then I would contact each one for a criminal history.

NO you don't.

No you never need a police check from the USA.

The USCIS and the NVC do their own police checks (aka FBI checks).

You do NOT need a police check from the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

NO you don't.

Really? So they also do background check for beneficiaries? I thought only to petitioner. But am hoping you are right, so no need for us to get one.

AOS Journey:

April 2 - USCIS received

April 9 - NOA1

May 6 - Biometrics

June 2 - EAD approved

Timeline

Sweet! I found the link that no need for US police certificate: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

Thanks everyone! Hope this helps OP too.

Edited by AR and BA

AOS Journey:

April 2 - USCIS received

April 9 - NOA1

May 6 - Biometrics

June 2 - EAD approved

Timeline

Ok good to know! Thank you!

February 21st 2014- NOA1

August 13th 2014 - RFE

Now waiting for NOA2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi, i have a question. It says, that everyone hast to get a Police certificate from each country in which the applicant has resided for one year or longer. (For the interview)

I lived 13 month in the US as an au pair. Do I need to get a police certificate from the US, if yes, where would I get it?

Thanks!!!

the US doesn't do police certificates....the background checks take care of that. Nothing to obtain.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

As was stated in this thread several times, you do not get police certificates from the US. Not sure what you are filing for after living in the US for 2 years already, but the police certificates are needed for visa interviews, such as the K-1(this thread is posted in the K-1 forum) and spousal visas. Police certificates are needed for anyplace you resided, other than the US, since the age of 16.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/fiance-k-1.html#6

Police certificates from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for six months or more since age 16 (Police certificates are also required for accompanying children age 16 or older)

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

Note: Present and former residents of the United States need NOT obtain any U.S. police certificates

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

NO you don't.

As was stated in this thread several times, you do not get police certificates from the US. Not sure what you are filing for after living in the US for 2 years already, but the police certificates are needed for visa interviews, such as the K-1(this thread is posted in the K-1 forum) and spousal visas. Police certificates are needed for anyplace you resided, other than the US, since the age of 16.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/fiance-k-1.html#6

Police certificates from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for six months or more since age 16 (Police certificates are also required for accompanying children age 16 or older)

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

Note: Present and former residents of the United States need NOT obtain any U.S. police certificates

Just to re-re-confirm what my illustrious colleagues have stated so well. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.