wilians

Affidavit of Support

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello. I am an American citizen and my fiance is from Colombia. We have just received our NOA2 after 6 months of waiting. However, come to find out, I do not meet the poverty guidelines in order to complete the I-134 Affidavit of Support and my family will not co-sponsor for me because they feel that if something happens to him, they will be financially responsible and liable. So, what do we do?? He hasn't gone in for his interview or medical exam yet but we are so close to the end of the process and we just want the VISA. Should we submit the I-134 even though we know I don't meet the requirements?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide us. We are at a loss....

-Sarah

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello. I am an American citizen and my fiance is from Colombia. We have just received our NOA2 after 6 months of waiting. However, come to find out, I do not meet the poverty guidelines in order to complete the I-134 Affidavit of Support and my family will not co-sponsor for me because they feel that if something happens to him, they will be financially responsible and liable. So, what do we do?? He hasn't gone in for his interview or medical exam yet but we are so close to the end of the process and we just want the VISA. Should we submit the I-134 even though we know I don't meet the requirements?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide us. We are at a loss....

-Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Unfortunately you will be denied if you don't meet the affidavit of support guidelines and don't have a co-sponsor. Do you have any assets you can use? Or a friend (u.s. citizen) to be co-sponsor?

Once your fiancé arrives and you have married, when you file for AOS and you'll need to meet 125% of the poverty guideline for the affidavit of support I-864.

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Must find a co-sponsor or get another part time job to boost the income.

Good luck

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You can use a close friend as your co-sponsor and can have more than one co-sponsor.

Just FYI - they have to fill out the I-134 form NOT I-864 form. I only found out yesterday when I had my interview and was told to use the I-134 for the co-sponsor. And when u get to the US your co-sponsor use the I-864 form for adjustment of status

Timeline

Also, if u submit your form without a co-sponsor u will get an RFE and will delay the process. Eventually you'll still need to use a co-sponsor because they will not process your case at all unless u meet the requirements. They will not deny u right away, they'll ask u first to provide more evidence. If they're not convince or doesn't meet the requirements you will then get denied. If you have any assets, properties etc u should include them. Or if u have any savings that will help as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Being able to support your fiancé unfortunately is one of the most important part of this process and it doesn't end there, you also have fill out an I-864 for AOS and again you have to be able to support your loved one in order to get approved.

I heard this saying a while back "no money no honey" but the good news is you can have a friend co - sponsor or like another post said get a part time job soon!!

Good luck and I wish you the best!!!

Edited by derrickmichille

I am the petitioner

I- 129f packet sent Jan 11 2014

Noa 1 Jan 15 2014

Alien registration number changed Jan 16 2014

NOA 2 June 16 2014 email and text

USCIS shipped petition to NVC June 19 2014 (Website update)

NOA 2 June 20 2014 Hard Copy Received

NVC case number received (via phone) July 1 2014

NVC forward petition to the embassy July 3 2014

consulate received petition July 8 2014

consulate received hard copy of petition(CEAC website update) July 15 2014

passed medical (took one day fiancee got there at 4:00am finished at 4:30pm) July 22 2014

CFO completed certificate issued (fiancee said people were very nice process very easy) July 30th 2014!!

Interview date scheduled for September 10th 2014!!

Interview approved!!!

Visa issued!! CEAC website September 16 2014!!

Visa received on September 18 2014 yeah!!!

POE September 21 2014!!! Yeeees!!! What a journey!!!!

Wedding day!! October 16 2014!!

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I am understanding it correctly that my American fiance will fill out an I-864, and because she doesn't make enough (still living at home) to satisfy the powers that be, she fills one out checking the option that says she is the original petitioner, then her dad, for instance, just fills one out checking the option that says he is a joint sponsor?

Whew! that was my run-on sentence for the day!

Timeline

For k1, it's the I-134 form for the petitioner and co-sponsor and will have to fill out each form and provide supporting documents. These are one of the documents you'll have to take with you to your interview.

Once you're in the US, your fiancé (original petitioner) and your cosponsor ((1st) joint sponsor) will have to fill out each of the I-864 form for adjustment of status.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
For k1, it's the I-134 form for the petitioner and co-sponsor and will have to fill out each form and provide supporting documents. These are one of the documents you'll have to take with you to your interview.

Ok thanks sorry I missed that earlier post. Thank you for clearing everything up.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Get a second job asap....dont put your friend in an awkward situation by asking him or her to co sponsor, if your family wont do it...Finding a second job is the best option.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for your help everyone. The problem with getting a second job is that I am a full time college student and I work part time with the Army. I make enough to support myself an my fiance but I just don't meet the minimum requirements. If I convinced my parents to fill out the I-134, how likely would it be that I could show this year's income on the form filed by the time of his AOS?? Basically last year I didn't make enough but this year I potentially could. How do I prove this??

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

For the current year, to show support, you have to basically show proof. This could be the year's pay stubs, it could be a letter from human resources saying that you have worked at X business for Y time and make Z money per month/year; basically, any/everything you can to show you have consistent income that meets the requirements, or that your co-sponsor does.

And they do ask for taxes from previous years; that you haven't made enough ever to meet the income requirements may be considered a red flag.

If your family is refusing to help you, you may also want to ask yourself why this is. Maybe it's just a bad relationship with family. Maybe they see something you don't. Maybe you guys need to rethink when you're getting married, or wait until you graduate and can get a more stable job earning a more substantial income.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

When does the I-864 have to be filed? Can we postpone that a few months after we're married so I can have enough time to work and show my income?

Once your fiancé arrives, you must marry within 90 days, after that you can do his AOS after any time, but the longer you delay it, the longer he will not be able to work as the I-864 is sent in with form I-485 AOS, his EAD, and AP. Will you be able to work and support him for a few months after he has arrived? The waiting time from filing EAD (with AOS and AP) is up to 90 days.

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.