Janelle2002

Canadians deliver water to protest Detroit shutoffs

296 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We have a Post Office, 17 year round residents.

Common issue a service that has been unable to change to match its customers, think Blockbusters.

:rofl: And I bet your congressperson has done everything they can to stop it from being closed.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We have a Post Office, 17 year round residents.

Common issue a service that has been unable to change to match its customers, think Blockbusters.

Where do you live, Ouray?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Where do you live, Ouray?

Ouray has a population I guess of a thousand or so, I have not been through there for some years.

I know the current Lady is looking to get out, perhaps they will replace it with cluster boxes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

We had this discussion in class. I was the only one who agreed people need water. Gotta love the Conservative West Texas. They all looked at me as if I was an alien and crazy. I was quite pissed up.

There is also a right to family unity that is ignored as well in the Declaration of Human Rights.

Canadiens are nice people. It's great the Windsor folk came across this time...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

The UK privatised its water system, a lot of it went to overseas buyers.

Let's not forget what happened when the preznit made us entirely reliant on the Russians for access to the Space Station; when relations started to chill, the Russians literally told us "I suggest to the USA to bring their astronauts to the International Space Station using a trampoline". Right now we have now way of getting US astronauts to and from the Station. Thanks mr. preznit. There's a lesson in there about trusting international 'support', especially for crucial services.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Space X

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Entire thread to this point has been read. Four posts and one quoting post have been removed. One participant is thread-banned, with administrative action applied, for violating this from the VJ Terms of Service:

"Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, harass, insult, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users."

There's no need to be unnecessarily combative by weaving personal insults into deeply held opinions. Thanks for keeping this in mind as the discussion in this thread continues.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There's nothing to respond to here. I'm an individual, not a stereotype. Respond to what I personally say, not what your pigeon hole logic tells you I must believe.

Edited by Kathryn41
quote violating TOS removed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

two posts violating the Terms of Service have been removed and one post edited to remove the removed quote.

last_post.png

Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, harass, insult, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think its a "right" to have water delivered to your faucet for free. Water is being offered....... for free, but you have to go get it. Why is this not what would be expected? Is the suggestion that if you can't afford your water bill, then you just get it for free? Really? WTH?

I give up. I can't stand the idea that anyone would argue that fresh running water isn't the minimum requirement for life for every US citizen and that any citizen, however lowly doesn't have the right to access it. Utterly barbaric and insensitive.

City water is NOT right. It is a commodity that must be paid for. Same as a mortgage or a car payment. If they want water in their "own right", they need to dig a well on their property. That is a right.

To not pay your bill(s) is a WRONG.

Timeline

I think getting indignant about people not paying the bill is missing the point.

If there's a significant number of people going through this experience - some 7500 as the article states - then surely that indicates a wider problem than not taking 'personal responsibility'.

City water is NOT right. It is a commodity that must be paid for. Same as a mortgage or a car payment. If they want water in their "own right", they need to dig a well on their property. That is a right.

To not pay your bill(s) is a WRONG.

If the city is bankrupt and there is massive unemployment, the government should step in and pay the bills or work with the water company to reduce them or write them off. That's how it works in most developed nations.

Ok. You are suggesting for them to go and get non-strained and non-purified water from the lake that dead things fall in, people fish in, drop their beer bottles in and God knows what else, like wash their d### after sex on the lake, skinny dipping and give it to their kids.

Why not? I have drank from lakes and streams for years, without filtration, and the only thing really wrong with me is that I keep coming back to this forum again and again.

I don't think its a "right" to have water delivered to your faucet for free. Water is being offered....... for free, but you have to go get it. Why is this not what would be expected? Is the suggestion that if you can't afford your water bill, then you just get it for free? Really? WTH?

My point is, they should not get it for free. However, there should be an alternative for them to receive water until they are able to afford their bills, whether they pay 20 dollars to the YMCA or a local Community Center.

Timeline

Why not? I have drank from lakes and streams for years, without filtration, and the only thing really wrong with me is that I keep coming back to this forum again and again.

Because the US should emulate how China and India look after their poor.

The quaint charm of seeing people throw their sewage out in the street, while kids drink from the same river people are washing themselves in. Wonderful.

Edited by Hail Ming!