PhillyDM

Found out my husband had been lying to me in the middle of Interview.

54 posts in this topic

SofiaIsabella,

Thanks.I will have to return GC if I divorce in two years right?

And then what would happen next time I come back to US by visa waiver or other non immigrant visa?

It could make it harder to enter US?

AT20000,

Thank you for ur comment.

That revenge was funny!!Maybe I will give it a try sometime.

Yes I agree with u.All time,money and effort that we have done for it...

Even my husband told me not to waste all of them.

At least he is trying to protect my visa status.

Divorce is something we can do anytime.But it would be too late to regret if we divorced.

I would just try to reconcile for now and wait and see.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I might get just too upset with something in the past.It was not fatal lie like not telling me he was married or he had kids or anything like that.

Bang goes my guesses.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Eric-Pris,

Right.Some people might feel what's wrong with this lie,others might not.

It was not like he was cheating with me or anything like that.

So I cannot call him loser.But still breaking promise and didn't tell me the fact.

And unfortunately,I figured it out that he broke his words thanks to immigration officer's question.

I didn't want to discover my husband's lie in the middle of visa interview.

I was about to start arguments in front of IO,but I made myself calm down for ten min.And right after I got out of USCIS,I attacked him so bad.What a day...

The captain

Have u ever read my post??

I am the person who says I want to cancel AOS and want my non immigrant visa back.Not asking anybody to help me with maintaining GC.

You can call me whatever you want,fraud or whatever.

Don't leave any comments on my post anymore.

I dont think anyone is saying there has been fraud but what The captain meant was if anyone continues with a GC application based on marriage intending to divorce that may be visa fraud.

I know the OP is not suggesting this but several others are.

Anyway, I agree with Eric, too many are jumping on the "get GC then divorce this loser" bandwagon without knowing what the Lie was or is.

if it is being married or having kids then I am surprised this did not come up at the K1 interview at the embassy. I know I was asked if my then fiancee had been married before or had children.

That stuff is part of the checks they do to protect the beneficiary, it's not all one way.

Filed: Timeline

Eric-Pris,

Right.Some people might feel what's wrong with this lie,others might not.

It was not like he was cheating with me or anything like that.

So I cannot call him loser.But still breaking promise and didn't tell me the fact.

And unfortunately,I figured it out that he broke his words thanks to immigration officer's question.

I didn't want to discover my husband's lie in the middle of visa interview.

I was about to start arguments in front of IO,but I made myself calm down for ten min.And right after I got out of USCIS,I attacked him so bad.What a day...

well here is my take on your situation. you entered the marriage in good faith later down the road you found out that he lied to you and that he doesnt deserve you....... if and when you divorce ....you legally are allowed to maintain your GC and you are allowed to adjust your status and switch from conditional to permenant even if you were to get a divorce. i think its called something like a divorce waiver or something.

whatever you decide to do ....I recomend that you do it with a calm mind..... if you feel that you would rather go back to your country then do that if you want to stay in the US you can do that to.

You said he had been lying to you for a while but it is not a fatal lie. Here is something might be able to help you. Is he always lying to you? Or this is the first time you found out he lies? Are you willing to forgive him? What is the reason of his lies? Was he trying to avoid conflict? Without knowing what truly happened between you two, it is hard to give you a good suggestion. If his lie is not a major lie, I would not suggest a divorce. Why not try to work it out? If couple is getting divorce just because a onetime non-major lie, I seriously doubt there is a strong bond between the two.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

So she can divorce and remove conditions based on the fact she entered into the marriage in good faith... Or she can get the GC that is currently being processed then divorce... Either way, same result... she is entitled to the GC so no fraud... Just what the process is...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

No, she would have no sponsor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's not Visa fraud. She entered into the marriage with good intentions.

Why are you people on visa journey so hell bent on having every person whose marriage falls apart leave the country? It seems like you people here on visa journey seem to think that marriages that work out are the only grounds for a green card. WRONG.

OP, you do not "return" your green card and leave. You file for removal of conditions at the end of 2 years and you can stay if you want. You don't need to leave just because you divorce. Just make sure that you fill out the proper paperwork when you remove conditions and get ready to prove that your marriage was a "bona fide" one.

Timeline

She does not have a GC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.