deleted-05292014

Senator Urges Redskins Change

85 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Yes :thumbs: Why stop with the Clippers, let's keep this ball rolling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/01/sports/football/reid-urges-nfl-to-change-name-of-redskins.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — Senator Harry Reid of Nevada on Wednesday called on the N.F.L. to change the name of the Washington Redskins, urging the league to respond to charges that the name is offensive by following the example set by the N.B.A. in punishing the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers.

Seizing on the N.B.A.’s decision on Tuesday to bar the owner Donald Sterling for life, impose a $2.5 million fine and possibly force the sale of his team after he was recorded making racist remarks, Reid, a Democrat and the Senate majority leader, said N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell should intervene because Daniel Snyder, the Redskins’ owner, refused to change the name.

“For far too long the N.F.L. has been sitting on its hands doing nothing while an entire population of Americans has been denigrated,” Reid said on the Senate floor.

He added later, “Remove this hateful term from your league’s vocabulary and rid the league of racism and bigotry.”

Reid praised the N.B.A. for having “set the standard” for handling racism in sports.

Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbia’s nonvoting delegate in the House, echoed Reid’s call for Goodell to emulate his N.B.A. counterpart, Adam Silver, in taking aggressive action.

“When Adam Silver saw racism, he acted without hesitation to the acclaim of the nation,” she said in a statement. “The increasing controversy and activism surrounding the name of our hometown football team are in search of a similar national sports leader.”

Snyder has said he will not change the name, defending his position by saying there is tradition associated with the name, which the team has held for more than 80 years, and portraying himself as receptive to the concerns of American Indians. In March, he announced the creation of the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation to benefit American Indians, who he said needed “action, not words.”

Reid said it was “untoward” for Snyder to cite tradition. “A tradition of racism is all that name leaves in its wake,” Reid said.

Lawmakers have been increasing pressure on Goodell over the issue. Goodell has said that he is attentive to their concerns, but that polls show the public supports keeping the name. After a bill was introduced last year that would cancel commercial trademarks using the term “redskin,” two members of Congress sent Goodell a letter pushing him to support rebranding the team in recognition that the name offends American Indians and others.

One of the senators — Maria Cantwell, Democrat of Washington, who was the chairwoman of the Committee on Indian Affairs — threatened the N.F.L.’s tax-exempt status. President Obama weighed in last year, saying he would rename the team if he were the owner.

Spokesmen for Snyder and Goodell could not immediately be reached for comment.

Many Native Americans proudly wear Redskins gear, as well as Cleveland Indians gear. I would venture to say that responding to the complaints about the team names and mascots as all inclusive of Native Americans is not correct.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'd like to see the Redskiins change their name.

I don't see Daniel Snyder doing it however, not unless his business interests are jeopardized.

If sponsors start boycotting due to public pressure that might do the trick.

There are other teams which should also consider a name change: KC Chiefs, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Blackhawks come to mind.
But none are nearly as blatantly offensive as Washington.

As someone with Native American ancestry, albeit very little, I don't have any problem with the name Redskins. There is nothing offensive about the name itself. It's all about context.

As someone with Native American ancestry, albeit very little, I don't have any problem with the name Redskins. There is nothing offensive about the name itself. It's all about context.

I think you are ignorant of the slur. It is in fact a racial slur in every context of the word.

It is not the same as Blackhawks, Indians, Braves.

Most people do not recognize the difference which is a shame.

I'm on mobile and at work but later tonight I can show plenty of references and back up the fact that the word is equivalent to N***** or any other racial slur

I think you are ignorant of the slur. It is in fact a racial slur in every context of the word.

It is not the same as Blackhawks, Indians, Braves.

Most people do not recognize the difference which is a shame.

I'm on mobile and at work but later tonight I can show plenty of references and back up the fact that the word is equivalent to N***** or any other racial slur

Ofcourse, everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant. :rolleyes:

Have you given any thought to the possibility that you might just be a little too sensitive?

Many Native Americans proudly wear Redskins gear, as well as Cleveland Indians gear. I would venture to say that responding to the complaints about the team names and mascots as all inclusive of Native Americans is not correct.

Not comparable. The word Indians is not a slur. Redskins is which makes all the difference and that word is the problem.

The founder was a devout bigot. The last team to integrate.

Ofcourse, everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant. :rolleyes:

Have you given any thought to the possibility that you might just be a little too sensitive?

Stay on topic, this isn't about me. I'm just trying to educate you on the fact that the word is not a term of endearment.

Stay on topic, this isn't about me. I'm just trying to educate you on the fact that the word is not a term of endearment.

When you call people ignorant because they have a different opinion than you, that takes it off topic and makes it about you.

I'll pass on the edumication lesson thanks.

Has anyone told you how condescending you come across?

no it isn't. the Lenape indian warriors use to paint their bodies red prior to fighting. (that is where the name comes from) the Lenape were known for being fierce warriors.

7yqZWFL.jpg

I think Chicago White Sox is racist and I'm offended because I'm white. Who do I get a hold of to get the ball rolling on a name change?

This country is a bunch of pu$$ys. Everyone's feelings are always hurt by made up bull$hit.

Your opinion is just shtupid.

I'd like to see the Redskiins change their name.

I don't see Daniel Snyder doing it however, not unless his business interests are jeopardized.

If sponsors start boycotting due to public pressure that might do the trick.

There are other teams which should also consider a name change: KC Chiefs, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Blackhawks come to mind.

But none are nearly as blatantly offensive as Washington.

I'd like to see the Bears change their name too since it's offensive to animals. Ditto for the Eagles, Broncos, Dolphins etc. Remember, I love animals. Especially sheep.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015