deleted-05292014

Senator Urges Redskins Change

85 posts in this topic

Ok I think we are in agreement then. My only point of difference is that I hear all the time folks compare the Kc Chiefs or Atlanta Braves or Chicago Blackhawks but those aren't racial slurs. Driving into work I usually listen to Mike and Mike on ESPN radio and that's the argument they were making. They also are comparing apples and oranges.

I think people are desensitized to the slur bc #1 not a lot of Native Americans around and #2 it's been at least a couple hundred of years since the last Indian wars.

I remember there was /is controversy about the Atlanta Braves fans and the tomahawk chop. Didn't they or the Indians have someone dressed up like an Indian beating on a drum too? To me, that is much more derogatory to Native Americans than a team name. The symbol of the Braves is a tomahawk. Isn't that about scalping the opposing team?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

:no:

WKnee73-5_29A-e1276201734864.jpg

Is that Josh Brolin in the front? I can't tell, there's a joke in there, but I'm better than that :rofl:

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So by your rationalization as long as a word is used to reference a team then it's Ok? So we can have a basketball team and call them the New York N****S and it's Ok because it's just a team name.

I wondered how long it was going to take before this was said.

They should change the name to the Washington fluffy clouds.

Thanks for the information. I'll read up on it.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I wondered how long it was going to take before this was said.

They should change the name to the Washington fluffy clouds.

The Boston Celtics should know how to pronounce their team name correctly. I find that incredibly insensitive.

Edited by The Postmaster

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Boston Celtics should know how to pronounce their team name correctly. I find that incredibly insensitive.

That name will be changed to the Boston Hugs.

Yes but there have been Native American groups that have come forward and have said they find it offensive. I don't use the N word, some do. I don't want to get into that rabbit hole of a debate on here.

I know what you are saying and I completely understand how difficult it is to have a conversation, especially here, and I know Native Americans personally who are for and against renaming the team. Our own local school team name is the Braves and there is the same debate about that, with the same folks on either side of that argument as well.

The history of our local school team name and mascot though is very interesting in that now deceased Tribal elders were the driving force behind the school team name and mascot.

I personally find it quite possible to separate use of offensive words based on context instead of seeing them as always bad. I think we are turning into a nation of people who are far too easily offended and try too hard to force their issues on everyone else.

Having said that, I know racism is a long way from being dead and gone.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I think we are turning into a nation of people who are far too easily offended and try too hard to force their issues on everyone else.

:thumbs:

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Timeline

http://red-face.us/indian-stereotypes-sports.htm

Redface! redface-head.jpg
Indian Stereotypes in Sports

During the 1960s, the National Congress of American Indians began a campaign to eliminate negative stereotyping of American Indians in the media. They focused mainly on cartoons and movies; however their protests of sports organizations garnered the most attention. Since 1971, nearly two-thirds of professional and amateur athletic teams bearing Native American iconography have made a change, but there are still quite a few holdouts.

evolution-of-Wahoo-logo.jpg
Evolution of the Cleveland Indians Chief Wahoo Logo

The American Indian community has been working to end the appropriation by sports teams of Native American images and names like Cleveland Indians, Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs, and Atlanta Braves. The Cleveland Indians' Chief Wahoo offends Indian people the same way that Little Black Sambo offended African Americans and the Frito Bandito offended the Hispanic community. However American Indian images and nicknames remain common in sports, and may be seen in use by teams at all levels from elementary school to professional.

The Cleveland Indians name has been used since 1915 and the team has used various forms of Chief Wahoo as its logo since 1915, the current version since 1952. Every Opening Day in Cleveland, when Native Americans protest outside Progressive Field, Indians fans take comfort in the myth that the name and logo honor Louis "Chief" Sockalexis, a Penobscot Indian who played with the Cleveland Spiders from 1897 to 1899.

redskins-logos.jpg
Evolution of the Washington Redskins Logo

Lately, the debate over the Washington Redskins name has been getting a lot more intense, but so far the team's owner and many longtime Redskins fans are adamantly opposed to changing it. During a October 14, 2013, Sunday night football game between the Redskins and the Cowboys, NBC Sports anchor Bob Costas delivered a halftime essay on the subject:

With Washington playing Dallas here tonight, it seems like an appropriate time to acknowledge the ongoing controversy about the name, “Redskins.” Let’s start here. There is no reason to believe that owner Daniel Snyder, or any official or player from his team, harbors animus toward Native Americans or wishes to disrespect them. This is undoubtedly also true of the vast majority of those who don’t think twice about the longstanding moniker. And in fact, as best can be determined, even a majority of Native Americans say they are not offended.

But, having stipulated that, there’s still a distinction to be made. Objections to names like 'Braves,' 'Chiefs,' 'Warriors,' and the like strike many of us as political correctness run amok. These nicknames honor, rather than demean. They are pretty much the same as 'Vikings,' 'Patriots,' or even 'Cowboys.' And names like 'Blackhawks,' 'Seminoles,' and 'Chippewas,' while potentially more problematic, can still be OK provided the symbols are appropriately respectful – which is where the Cleveland Indians with the combination of their name and “Chief Wahoo” logo have sometimes run into trouble.

A number of teams, mostly in the college ranks, have changed their names in response to objections. The Stanford Cardinal and the Dartmouth Big Green were each once the Indians; the St. John’s Redmen have become the Red Storm, and the Miami of Ohio Redskins – that’s right, Redskins – are now the Red Hawks.

Still, the NFL franchise that represents the nation’s capital has maintained its name. But think for a moment about the term “Redskins,” and how it truly differs from all the others. Ask yourself what the equivalent would be, if directed toward African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians, or members of any other ethnic group.

When considered that way, 'Redskins' can’t possibly honor a heritage, or noble character trait, nor can it possibly be considered a neutral term. It’s an insult, a slur, no matter how benign the present-day intent. It is fair to say that for a long time now, and certainly in 2013, no offense has been intended. But, if you take a step back, isn’t it clear to see how offense might legitimately be taken?

Defenders of the Redskins name and logo claim that they honor Native Americans, but the team's founder was a notorious racist named George Preston Marshall who thought of the idea strictly as a marketing gimmick. He thought the Redskins name was funny, just as he thought the war paint and feather headdress he made the head coach wear were funny. He even had his players dress up in Indian outfits and perform during halftimes.

Because of Marshall's virulent racism, he was a driving force in banning blacks from playing in the NFL beginning in 1927. Prior to that time, blacks played in the NFL and no one much cared -- except racists like George Preston Marshall. The ban was lifted in 1946, but the Redskins were the last team in the NFL to integrate (1961) and it was only done then because they moved into a stadium on public property and were forced to stop discriminating against black players.

When George Preston Marshall died in 1969, he directed that the bulk of his estate be used to set up a foundation in his name. He attached one firm condition: that the foundation, operating out of Washington, D.C., should not direct a single dollar toward “any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration in any form.” This is the man who gave the Washington Redskins their name.

The Washington Redskins' original (1938-1980s) fight song:

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail, victory!
Braves on the warpath!
Fight for Old D.C.!
Scalp 'em, swamp 'um
We will take 'um big score
Read 'um, Weep 'um, touchdown
We want heap more
Fight on, fight on, till you have won
Sons of Washington
Rah! Rah! Rah!

Hail to the Redskins is the second oldest fight song for a professional American football team. During the 1938 season the Redskins played their new fight song for fans in attendance at the games. The Redskin band was dressed in buckskins and headdresses, and featured a chorus line of prancing Indian princesses.

According to a recent poll conducted by the Associated Press, 79 percent of Americans think the Washington Redskins should keep their name. This should only be cited as proof that 79 percent of Americans are willfully ignorant and need a history lesson.

sonic-redskins-sign.jpg
Sign at a Sonic drive-thru in Belton, Missouri
December 2013

Yankee was a derogatory name for Northerners before it was the name of a hated baseball team. In fact, Northerner is a derogatory term for people who live in the North. North is a derogatory term too. Let's just be generic and everyone is referred to as people.

Yankee is a derogatory term for a Northerner

Damn Yankee is a derogatory term fora Northerner that moved here and stayed