christlekat

will foodstamps can affect on the petition process?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I filed form I-130 last month for my husband and stepdaughter in the philippines and im currently receiving Medi-Cal and foodstamp, will it affect the process because im receiving all these?

Thank You!

If you don't make enough to sponsor and if the CO feels that the immigrants will become a public charge they can deny the visa, even with a well qualified joint sponsor. So yes it can affect the process but it may not. It's up to the CO at the interview.

Also it's a good idea to read up on "means tested benefits" because the beneficiaries cannot use those or else you or any joint sponsors will be required to pay the US government back.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Up to you. :) If you can't eat without them, I wouldn't, especially if it's a short term thing. The main thing is that you can sponsor two people.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

... yes, you should ... put yourself in a position where you can support yourself first ...

so it means that i should stop my benefits of getting foodstamp? Thanks

Filed: Other Timeline

If you are at the beginning of filing your I130 then I wouldn't worry about it for awhile. But I would try to be self sufficient by the time you have to file your affidavit of support when it gets transferred to NVC. Good luck to you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just a personal recommendation, but I would slow it down a little and think it through for a second.

If you're needing food stamps to get by, how are you going to support another person here? I can tell you, it's not just your costs now plus a little bit more. I've spent $16,000+ in the last 5 months alone, most of which I couldn't tell you where it's gone, and that's with some effort to try and keep things moderately sane.

Trying to find some way around the minimum requirements, which we see quite a lot of people doing, is not really the best look for yourself or the person you're looking to bring here.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Slovakia
Timeline

It's pretty straight forward. if you qualify for government support then you do not qualify to financially sponsor anyone. The whole reason for the financial support documents is to show that you can financially support the person you sponsor and they will not become a government ward. In short you need to earn more money.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

so it means that i should stop my benefits of getting foodstamp? Thanks

I say no, initially,

and instead,

study the I-864P for 3 people (you,your child, your spouse)

then fill out yer I-864 using your W-2 /1099 income

then run the math,

see what's what for:

1. prior tax years (2013, 2012, etc) and

2. current annual income (2014)

if you fall below the thresh-hold for 3 people, IMO foodstamps not matter one way or the other - instead seek a co-sponser.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I filed for the K1 and welfare didn't cause any issues for us, he was approved. I had a co-sponsor though.

7/2010 : Met online
11/2010 : Started dating
07/2011 : Met in person
11/2011 : He visited again
02/2012 : He went home
02/2012 : We're PREGNANT
05/2012 : He surprised me with a visit
07/2012 : He went home
09/2012 : He's back
10/2012 : Our son is born!
02/2013 : He went home
03/2013 : FINALLY agreed we should get married

04/02/2013 : Filed I-129F
04/09/2013 : NOA1 (California Service Center)

04/15/2013 : A# Changed

08/09/2013 : RFE

08/14/2013 : RFE hard copy

08/15/2013 : RFE reply sent

08/19/2013 : RFE received @ CSC

08/26/2013 : NOA2

12/18/2013 : Interview at RDJ

01/31/2014 : Received passport/visa

02/14/2014 : Left for the UK

03/13/2014 : He left me

03/20/2014 : Emailed RDJ

03/24/2014 : RDJ response "Have him send the passport back to us so we can cancel the visa"

04/2014 : Found out about the "other woman" (she knew about us the whole time)

05/2014 : Filed for custody, no visitation, last name change

05/2014 : Cut off all contact. Found out I was just an easy way into the US.

06/14/2014 : Served him with custody papers. Never got a service notice back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.