M613

Not Applying For Citizenship - anyone else doing this?

13 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

I got my 10 year GC last Fall and, based on my US husband and I's longterm goals, we will be going to Canada permanently within 2-4 years. That said, not sure if this is the correct discussion group (you'd think I'd know after 5 years on here.. ha), but I wanted to see if anyone else is just riding the 10 year GC wave as well?

Just wanted to check in/say hi :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you leave the US for more than a year, you lose the green card regardless of the green card being good for 10 years. It's considered abandoned.

If you want to be able to work and travel freely, why not apply for citizenship so you're free to live / work in both places?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think there's nothing wrong with it - you've done what you need to do to be here legally in the US and if you chose to stay and get citizenship or not - who cares?

Have you considered getting it anyway so you're dual? Then you'll both have freedome top return at will to either country.

Hey everyone!

I got my 10 year GC last Fall and, based on my US husband and I's longterm goals, we will be going to Canada permanently within 2-4 years. That said, not sure if this is the correct discussion group (you'd think I'd know after 5 years on here.. ha), but I wanted to see if anyone else is just riding the 10 year GC wave as well?

Just wanted to check in/say hi :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

When we leave, we will be leaving for good/never living in the US permanently---we will only be living in Canada (and doing the reverse, i.e. getting my American husband his Canadian GC and yes, citizenship). So with no interest and/or plans to ever live in the US permanently, we thought it best to not go for citizenship.

I am keeping my US GC until I leave here for good (and yep, abandoning it when I move!)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

When we leave, we will be leaving for good/never living in the US permanently---we will only be living in Canada (and doing the reverse, i.e. getting my American husband his Canadian GC and yes, citizenship). So with no interest and/or plans to ever live in the US permanently, we thought it best to not go for citizenship.

I am keeping my US GC until I leave here for good (and yep, abandoning it when I move!)

Ok, so why would you think anyone else would be doing this? That's the point of your thread, right? A bit odd to ask for companionship on your bid to abandon your residency in a forum where people are banding together to seek advice on citizenship.

On a side note (and none of my business, of course), permit me to say that your strategy is a little short-sighted. A couple with dual citizenship from Canada and the United States will not only open up their travel and employment opportunities more broadly than any one citizenship alone, but will confer unique immigration advantages on any children they may have together. Saying Never in this rapidly-changing society where labour mobility is stronger now than it ever was is rather unwise considering that all that is needed from you to take this opportunity are six hundred and eighty dollars, and a few months of your time.

Good luck in Canada! Great country.

Edited by Darth Vader Ku

Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem forever...

I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 16-April-14)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Dispatched to USCIS [t-2]

30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Petition [t-1]

31-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Received by USCIS [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date [t=0]

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS [t+4]

07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched [t+7]

07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated [t+7]

08-APR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Received [t+8]

14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received [t+14]

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment [t+31]

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Date

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date

00-XXX-14: US Passport Application Dispatched

00-XXX-14: US Passport Received

:dancing:

Filed: IR-5 Country: Australia
Timeline

I wont be doing that.. im def going for citizenship. ..coz at the end of the day im not just thinking of myself but my [future] children... id love to have them the opportunity to live in either the US or Australia (where im from) without having to go thru the immigration process like I did, which is time consuming and expensive.

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

05/17/11... I-751 packet mailed to VSC... 05/18/11... I-751 packet received... 05/24/11... Check cashed... 05/26/11... NOA1 received (receipt date 05/19/11)... 06/25/11... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for 07/20)... 06/28/11... Early Walk-In for Biometrics (Durham NC)... 12/30/11... I-751 Petition Approved (called USCIS on 01/04 and was advised of approval)... 01/05/12... Card Production Ordered... 01/05/12... Approval Letter received... 01/XX/12... GC received in the mail... 04/08/14... 

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

05/09/14... Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule...10/08/14... N-400 packet sent via UPS to Texas (finally!)...10/10/14... N-400 packet received...10/16/14... Check cashed...10/20/14... NOA1 received (Priority Date 10/10/14)...10/31/14... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for 11/12/14)...11/12/14... Biometrics completed (Tampa FL)...11/13/14... Received yellow letter today (Dated 11/07/14)...11/14/14... In line for interview (e-notifications received at 12.36pm)...12/24/14... Interview scheduled (e-notifications received)...01/02/15... Interview letter received (Interview set for 02/03/15)...02/03/15... Interview completed Successfully!...02/11/15... In line for Oath! (e-notifications received at 7.00pm)...02/12/15... Oath scheduled & letter sent (e-notifications received at 1.30pm)...02/17/15... Oath letter received (Oath set for 02/23/15)...02/23/15... Oath Ceremony at 1pm in the Tampa Field Office... I'm officially a US Citizen!!

I-130 FOR MY PARENTS TIMELINE

11/14/16... I-130 packet for my parents sent via UPS to Phoenix

11/15/16... I-130 packet received (Priority Date)

11/18/16... Checks cashed, received emails and text messages at 5:22pm, cases routed to Texas Service Center

02/22/17... NOA2 for Mom received (Notice Date 02/15/17)

02/28/17... NOA2 for Dad received (Notice Date 02/17/17)

03/01/17... Status online shows application sent to NVC 

03/17/17... Received emails from NVC for next steps!

03/21/17... Went online to Choose an Agent

03/28/17... Received emails from NVC confirming Agent selection and to proceed with the next step (paying fees!)

04/05/17... Paid the $120 Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee online today (Also eligible to pay the $325 Fee but will wait before doing so...)

April-August... Took a break from the process in order to move back from USVI to mainland USA.

08/07/17... Paid the IV Fees for both my parents ($325 each) today

08/23/17... Called NVC because payment still showing "In Process", was advised to email proof of payment to have them manually correct it

08/24/17... CEAC website shows "Paid" and can now have parents' DS-260 forms filled in.

Ok, so why would you think anyone else would be doing this? That's the point of your thread, right? A bit odd to ask for companionship on your bid to abandon your residency in a forum where people are banding together to seek advice on citizenship.

On a side note (and none of my business, of course), permit me to say that your strategy is a little short-sighted. A couple with dual citizenship from Canada and the United States will not only open up their travel and employment opportunities more broadly than any one citizenship alone, but will confer unique immigration advantages on any children they may have together. Saying Never in this rapidly-changing society where labour mobility is stronger now than it ever was is rather unwise considering that all that is needed from you to take this opportunity are six hundred and eighty dollars, and a few months of your time.

Good luck in Canada! Great country.

eep-I will address this in the order with which you, ah, responded.

1- You never know-a million things happen to a million people... I've been on here for 5+ years and have found both companionship and understanding in the quirkiest of situations. So my question is: why not ask it? I enjoy the comraderie and information on here: you never know if someone is in the same situation, now or later...

2- Your side note is completely understandable-I can appreciate where you were going with it. I have absolutely no plans to have children; if I did, the US would be out of the question for many reasons. Regarding employment, my education and experience has taken me across many borders in the past-again, the US isn't an option. I have zero concerns re: my employability without US citizenship. I may be in the minority here, but barring visits to my US husband's family and our mutual American friends, there is zero lure for anything longterm. It's a mutual and very well thought out longterm decision on both of our parts....

Canada's not for a few years yet, but thanks-it is marvelous :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep it's not that unusual. There are quite a lot of people who got their GC and decided they want to move back to their former countries and abandon the GC. Some got married and that dissolved and wanted to be closer to family, others realized that they just didn't fit in to the "American Way" the way they originally thought, and others just miss their homelands. I'm sure there a ton more reasons as well that people do it.

Being an American Citizen isn't for everyone, and even just being a permanent resident doesn't mean this is the promise land for many. So it doesn't surprise me at all and in fact there are quite a few people that have done this or are about to do this in the near future.

Good thing is M613 knows what will happen with the GC and status. So they are fully aware of what they want to do and have made their decision (rather than a lot of people I have seen on here that actually have no clue about leaving the US and them abandoning their status)...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

eep-I will address this in the order with which you, ah, responded.

1- You never know-a million things happen to a million people... I've been on here for 5+ years and have found both companionship and understanding in the quirkiest of situations. So my question is: why not ask it? I enjoy the comraderie and information on here: you never know if someone is in the same situation, now or later...

2- Your side note is completely understandable-I can appreciate where you were going with it. I have absolutely no plans to have children; if I did, the US would be out of the question for many reasons. Regarding employment, my education and experience has taken me across many borders in the past-again, the US isn't an option. I have zero concerns re: my employability without US citizenship. I may be in the minority here, but barring visits to my US husband's family and our mutual American friends, there is zero lure for anything longterm. It's a mutual and very well thought out longterm decision on both of our parts....

Canada's not for a few years yet, but thanks-it is marvelous :)

Fair enough! I hesitated while I was mentioning the children-factor because that's absolutely none of my business, but you've clearly thought it through and I wish you all the very best. I suppose I was a bit snotty in questioning why you would post here; I apologise, you're right: one does find all sorts of unexpected (and sometimes, pleasant!) surprises in the unlikeliest of circumstances.

I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ha, I know of many Canadians in the automotive field that wished they lived in the US, our prices here are a lot cheaper. But also know of many Americans that would like to live in Canada because of the far cheaper health insurance rates.

You are in the position to enjoy both, so why not take advantage of it?

Was hoping Obama would cancel that executive order put in by Bush that really separated our extremely long two country relationship. Not bad for me to travel up to Canada, but miserable coming back.

US is also a very big place, and some places are not very nice to live in, others are great, another factor. Now if you are talking about Vancouver, that is nice.

Timeline

Ha, I know of many Canadians in the automotive field that wished they lived in the US, our prices here are a lot cheaper. But also know of many Americans that would like to live in Canada because of the far cheaper health insurance rates.

You are in the position to enjoy both, so why not take advantage of it?

Was hoping Obama would cancel that executive order put in by Bush that really separated our extremely long two country relationship. Not bad for me to travel up to Canada, but miserable coming back.

US is also a very big place, and some places are not very nice to live in, others are great, another factor. Now if you are talking about Vancouver, that is nice.

Wow, a response from you that does not include false, misleading or hystercial anti-tax propaganda! Nice! :dancing:

I will only say this...does hubby have family here?? Parents?? Siblings?? Someone who he may feel he needs to be with if and when they are older and ill? Would he be ok with not being close by and living near his parents if say one of them became seriously ill and needed full time care?? Just putting it out there, because that is what happened to us. I understand you plan on never living here again....but even the best of plans go out the window sometimes.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Well good Luck to You! You Will Probably Lose The Green Card but why not just do the citizenship? It is less than a 6 month process and what if you think differently in 10 years? what if situations change and you want to come back? You may think one way now but remember RARELY things go as planned, Just make sure you don't regret it later.

ROC -I751: Removal of Conditions on Green Card   

Green Card Expires: 05/20/2017

Local USCIS office: Oakland Park, FL 

App Will Be Sent to: California Service Center

03/18/2017 - Application Sent (I-751)

03/20/2017 - Application Delivered. (Day 1)

03/24/2017 - Date Of Biometrics Letter (Day 4)

03/30/2017 - Date I Received Biometrics Letter (Day 10)

04/14/2017 - Actual Biometrics Appointment @ 10 AM (Day 25)

Never Received  - NOA 

01/18/2018 - I-551 Stamp (Day 305)

06/26/2018 - Case was transferred to NSC. (Day 463)

08/03/2018 - Received 18 month extension letter. (Day 501)

09/01/2018 - Submitted N400! (Day 530)

N-400 Citizenship 

Permanent Resident Since: 05/20/2015

Local USCIS Office: Oakland Park, FL 

Applied Online. 

09/01/2018 - Application Submitted Online (N-400)

09/07/2018 - Received physical copy of app receipt in the mail. (Day 6)

09/08/2018 - Biometrics Scheduled. (Day 7)

09/27/2018 - Biometrics appointment. (Day 26)

06/21/2019 - Interview Scheduled. (Day 293)

08/10/2019 - Interview - Passed. (Day 343)

08/23/2019 - Oath Ceremony!!! (Day 356)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.