justinfelony

Married Abroad With Fake Birth Certificate

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ok so I went to Mexico last year and decided to get married. The judge said I had to get “registered” and what not, but to make a long story short: I ended up getting married with a birth certificate that claims I was born in Mexico whereas I was born in the US. Will this present a problem trying to get my wife over here? All other biographical information is correct except for the birth place and middle name spelling. Should I conceal this and go for a k 1 visa or should I apply for the I-130? How good is the US consulate at detecting these things? Are there any options for a quick arrival of my Mexican wife? Help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Concealing it would be a bad idea - if the consulate does find out, you will definitely be denied the visa. For example, they could do a background check on your wife and find out that she's married, or if she's changed her name it'll be a red flag. Some countries require proof of singleness, too.

I have no idea if the marriage is legal or not as far as the I-130 is concerned. Does your birth place show up on the marriage certificate?

April 27, 2016: I-751 mailed

May 2: I-751 received

May ??? NOA1

May 12: Check cashed

May 31: Biometrics appointment scheduled

June 1: Biometrics appointment letter arrives!

June 2: Biometrics walk-in

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have a feeling that you need to annul your marriage (since it was done on the basis of false representation... I'm sure Mexico has those laws) and then remarry with the proper documents OR file for a K-1 visa from the US after the marriage has been annulled. That's the best advice I can give you next to talking to a lawyer ASAP!

Thanks for the reply my wife is sending a copy of the marriage certificate tomorrow and she DID NOT CHANGE her last name. I wanted to initially just move in with her but she wanted to get “married” first so that her parents would release her. I took my US birth certificate but the “judge” said I had to be a Mexican citizen to do so and he charged me 300 dollars. I appreciate all the input thanks.

Omg... You need a marriage certificate, and at the marriage certificate sometimes they type the place of birth.

You are american, and do you ask how good are they detecting that?

You will be surpriced to see how good they are around the world.

Go to Mexico and get marry with your right certificate.

You cant apply for k1, because they will find that you get marry with a fake certificate, and if you apply for I-130 they will find too.

And you run the risk to be acuse to make fraud.

You know how hard american are with fraud.

Yes they can trace this! There are questions that ask your place of birth! It's not gonna match up when you have a BC from Mexico but your place of birth you list is in the United States!

And never ever try and hide anything!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Get your documents in order.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Well do you guys know if I should get it annulled and then remarry? I might consult an attorney to see my possibilities. Like I said before, I did try to get married with my BC but they guy didn’t want to use that. I initially wanted to get married in the US but her parents wouldn’t release her to me. The names match up and the DOB but not the birth place.

You are risking that your wife be banned for life from the US because of this. I don't think your marriage is legal. Many many problems.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Maybe best to talk this out with a lawyer in Mexico and check legality of your marriage. Common sense suggests your marriage is null and void because it's based from a fake document. But I'm not a lawyer.

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Ok so I went to Mexico last year and decided to get married. The judge said I had to get “registered” and what not, but to make a long story short: I ended up getting married with a birth certificate that claims I was born in Mexico whereas I was born in the US. Will this present a problem trying to get my wife over here? All other biographical information is correct except for the birth place and middle name spelling. Should I conceal this and go for a k 1 visa or should I apply for the I-130? How good is the US consulate at detecting these things? Are there any options for a quick arrival of my Mexican wife? Help!

They just need to search information about your wife's marital status and they will find out that she is married with a man that has the same name as yours but who was supposedly born in Mexico. Then, it is just easy to figure out things. They will discover you did fraud, which is a big problem.

Edited by Dusty&Mono

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anytime you have to question if you should misinform or lie through the immigration process, the answer is no.

Visa journey is not here to help people find a way to potentially defraud the government. I would recommend going to a lawyer to find out the best way to approach this.

Like Harpa said, you could be risking having your wife banned from the US. I'm sure you want to do what's best for both of you so that you can be together. It's good that you are exploring ways to do this the right way.

Good luck to you

Edited by gwenstar
s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Yeah I just saw several lawyers today and like always they wanted anywhere from 1500-3000 with NO GUARANTEED results. I’m not trying to defraud the government if that were the case I would’ve just submitted the phony evidence; plus, if the government were truly concerned about both illegal and legal immigration they would enforce laws and implement yearly migration caps. I’m going to see if this marriage certificate can be amended if not were going to have to get an annulment and remarry but this time with a legitimate judge, if one exits in Mexico. I appreciate all the input and what not although I found more criticism than solutions but thanks anyway.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Not really sure of the legality of a marriage that was the result of providing fake documents.

I would first try to check the legality, I definitely wouldn't go any further until that is resolved.

-Jan 24th, 2014 sent in I-129F

-Jan 31ist, 2014 received NOA1 via text/email. Arrived at CSC

-Feb 4th, 2014 received Alien registration number.

-Feb 24th, 2014 received NOA2

-Mar 12, 2014 Arrived at Embassy

-Mar 20, 2014 Packet 3 sent to Embassy

-Mar 28, 2014 Received packet 3 instructions in mail

-Mar 25, 2014 Interview date set

-Apr 4, 2014 Interview.. approved :dancing:

-May 21, 2014 - PoE LV NV

-May 30, 2014 - Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.