8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello all,

My fiancé and I are still waiting for our NOA2 to arrive, but while we wait we would like to know a few things:

- Is there any problem if we get married in a court right after my arrival in the US (like within a week), to allow us to get our AOS done as soon as possible, and after a month or two get married in a church?

- We also would like to have a reception and honeymoon in Brazil a week after our wedding in the US. How long does it take for us to get an Advance Parole, and is it expensive? How realistic are the chances of getting the AOS within a month?

Thanks in advance,

Lary and Chris

Filed: Timeline

You can get married the same day.

The beneficiary can not travel outside the US without an Advanced Parole or Green Card.

Getting an AOS within a month is not realistic at all, http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/aosstats.php

Good Luck.

Edited by Sirdaniel42

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We got married in a court 2 weeks after her arrival 02/14/14 :) We are now planning a big church ceremony for May 10th. :D

Your AOS will cost $1040 and includes her work papers and advanced parole (AP) (travel papers). She will need her AP before she can go anywhere outside the USA.

It takes about 3-5 months after filing to get working papers/advanced parole.

Edited by Mike-eeh and Odie

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Family-based AOS Process Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS filing/process, post k1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

AOS is $1070, NOT $1040.

Getting AP in a week or a month is impossible. Plan for 4 months after you send off AOS.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I got my EAD/AP 70 days after sent the AOS stuff off. I sent it all end Oct and have an NOA1 date of 6 Nov. I will not be having an interview so GC will not be done until around Sept. That will be about 10 months and could happen to you as a K1. Make sure you file for all 3 and plan on that taking about 3 months before you get AP. Of course you can leave the US anytime you like, you just wont get back in unless you have AP.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Just to give you an idea...

I arrived in Sept 2013. Got married in Oct. Filed my AOS/EAP/AP in Nov. Biometrics in Dec. Received EAD/AP card in Jan. Received a letter of possible delay in Feb. Received my Welcome to America letter yesterday.

I definitely think you will not get your AP in a month's time. And it even says on the AP that having an AP does not guarantee re-entry to the US. It still depends on the Immigration authorities at your port of entry. Just sayin'.

It is exciting to get married and go on a honeymoon. But please hold off your plans for your honeymoon until you've got proper documentation.

Congratulations and All the best,

Jessica

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

My fiancé and I are still waiting for our NOA2 to arrive, but while we wait we would like to know a few things:

- Is there any problem if we get married in a court right after my arrival in the US (like within a week), to allow us to get our AOS done as soon as possible, and after a month or two get married in a church?

- We also would like to have a reception and honeymoon in Brazil a week after our wedding in the US. How long does it take for us to get an Advance Parole, and is it expensive? How realistic are the chances of getting the AOS within a month?

Thanks in advance,

Lary and Chris

I arrived September 10th, we got "legally" married September 20th. Sent away AOS November 18th, and didn't receive my advance parole until 110 days later. They are really behind with AP. We are having our actual wedding celebration on September 20th, 2014 with our family because it was virtually impossible to plan a wedding in such a short period of time. I wouldn't book any honeymoon until your AP is approved and in your hand, because you never know.

Total cost of AOS,AP,EAD is $1070.

AOS is never approved in a month, it takes realistically anywhere from 4 months to a year. All depending on if you get an interview or not. Interview cases are said to be quicker. My case has been roughly 4 months and our interview is on April 10th. It's a 50/50 chance you receive an interview OR an interview waiver case. Interview waiver cases usually take longer than 6 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.