38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, we finally had our interview March 4th (Started this process in June of 2012!!!!) and my husband was denied due to lack of my domicile. I am the USC residing in Canada with him currently, but they did not believe the following to be sufficient evidence:

Registered voters card

Opened American Bank Account, have decent amount of money in it

Closed my investments in Canada, opened new ROTH IRA

Signed lease agreement from my father

U Haul Quote

Tons of bank statements/other mail going to my American address

A written letter of my intent to move back there with my husband and 2 children

A few other items I can't think of off the top of my head

They didn't even budge. All they said was our domicile was not enough, but they would not tell us what we need to do. Short of me taking my kids down there ahead of my husband, not sure what else I can do. I am a stay at home mom of 2 very small children, and we depend on his income. The plan was that as soon as my husband is approved we would move back to the states, he would find a job and I would continue to stay at home full time with my children until they are at least school age. But looks like we have to make plans now to move back and get a lease. I think that was the major thing holding us back. It's a case by case judgement, and apparently our interviewer didn't discern properly. I broke down in tears, very frustrated that her discretion was off. Very off. She was almost un-human....yes doing her job, but I feel like cases like this is where the discretion should come in...um, hello! Young family, both healthy, no criminal record, committed relationship - married 7 years and 2 kids....really?! Sigh...now off to figure out our next steps. This has been a very long and frustrating process.

PLEASE, if you have been in this situation, what did you do, and how long did it take for them to approve you?!?!?!

Edited by WaitingforOregon

NOA1 - June 4th, 2012

NOA2 - January 11th, 2013

Timeline

I have not been in this situation, I just want to extend my sympathy that this has happened to you!! How absolutely dreadfulcray5ol.gif

"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you."

"Life is not what it's supposed to be. It's what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Beneficiary - Applying for CR1/IR1 (but also played the K3 card prior to understanding it may be phased out.)

2013: July 20: I-130 sent (Chicago lockbox)

July 24: I-130 NOA1

July 24: I-129F sent (Dallas Lockbox)

Aug 2: I-129F NOA1

Aug 12: Alien Registration Number was changed, I-129F.

2014: Jan 28/29/30: - 3 transfer notices for I-130 and I-129F.

Feb 3 - Hard copy arrived -Notice of transfer to Texas stating Jan 29th.

Feb 10 - NOA2

Feb 27 - email stating I-130 being sent to NVC from TSC.

March 6 -NVC received our case.

April 7 - CASE NUMBER yay! IIN and BIN obtained and email given.

April 9 - DS261 available and filled in online.

April 9 - AOS not yet payable but visible.

April 10 - email regarding NVC case number and access to DS261 received/ email regarding AOS received and paid.

April 11 - AOS sent by snail mail.

April 14 - AOS arrived per mail tracking.

April 15 - IV bill received via email, IV bill paid/ in process, IV package sent.

April 18 - IV bill showing paid/ DS-260 available and done!

- AOS scanned into their system.

April 21 - IV package arrived per mail tracking.

April 24 - IV scanned into their system.

May 2 - False checklist for IV documents= AOS approval.

May 13 - NVC rep reported ? missing Police certificate via my phone call.

- Supervisor review initiated.

May 14 - Checklist for Police certificate came via email.

- Sent checklisted documentation priority post!

May 15 - Package delivered per mail tracking.

May 19 - Case COMPLETE!! Police certificate found by NVC:)

May 28 - Case complete email arrived.

May 30 - Assigned Interview date!

June 2 - Interview letter arrived via email.

June 11- Medical appointment Surrey, BC

July 8 - Interview in Montreal!! APPROVED!!!!!!!! July 10 - Visa package and passport in hand!! July 23 - POE!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I thought it was pretty much understood that with Canada the spouse had to basically move back first to prove domicile.

Especially for Canada, I feel that your evidence was a little light.

For us, and keeping in mind that Canada is harder, we did the following:

- Current US driver's license

- Current active library card and AAA membership

- Communication with school for daughter's enrollment

- An accepted will by the probate court and real estate evaluation showing that I was the sole inheritor of a house in America

- Proof of being on my mother's car insurance in America

The attempt is to show that you actively live in a place - car insurance or things that you'd only have if living there. Sending mail to an address or transferring funds is not really showing that. Think about having utilities in your name, actually moving in with your father for a few months, registering your car in America, etc.

I don't think you need to rent an apartment if you are planning on living with your father. Just grin and bare the couple of months to get the domicile in order. I can almost assure you that if you move in with your father (and have proof of living there like receipts, etc.) and you do some of the normal activities of life like car insurance, you'll have no problem in meeting the requirements.

Did you get a 221(g)?

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Great. Another thing to worry about. Is there a chance that you have start the process over again over issues of domicile? If that's the case, after all this, I'm moving back home before the interview!

07/29/2014 - NOA1

11/19/2014 - Transfer to TSC

12/19/2014 - NOA2

01/15/2014 - NVC Received (TSC held it for 3 weeks...)

02/19/2014 - Case no. and IIN assigned; requested embassy change

02/27/2014 - DS-261 available and submitted

02/28/2014 - AOS available and paid

03/19/2014 - AOS mailed

03/27/2014 - AOS entered into system

03/24/2014 - New case no. assigned

03/25/2014 - IV fee invoiced and paid

03/28/2014 - IV package sent via FedEx

04/26/2014 - case complete

06/01/2014 - passed interview

Timeline

I'm really sorry for the hardship you're going through.

I guess they need to see the USC spouse physically moving back the States ahead of the rest of the family.

That's what my wife did. She was a permanent resident of Canada, and had to go back and get herself a job and resume her life in the US ahead of this process. It's definitely hard on families, especially when young children are involved.

Can you at least appeal their decision? or do you have to start all over?

Timeline

I have not been in this situation, I just want to extend my sympathy that this has happened to you!! How absolutely dreadfulcray5ol.gif

Appreciate the kind words. It is awful, but we will see it through.

I'm really sorry for the hardship you're going through.

I guess they need to see the USC spouse physically moving back the States ahead of the rest of the family.

That's what my wife did. She was a permanent resident of Canada, and had to go back and get herself a job and resume her life in the US ahead of this process. It's definitely hard on families, especially when young children are involved.

Can you at least appeal their decision? or do you have to start all over?

We don't need to start over thankfully, we just have a certain amount of time to prove more domicile. Looks like I will be heading down there with the kids before him. I just hate to be a part from him, especially because we have 2 little children. We likely won't appeal. Just want this process to be over!

NOA1 - June 4th, 2012

Timeline

I thought it was pretty much understood that with Canada the spouse had to basically move back first to prove domicile.

- An accepted will by the probate court and real estate evaluation showing that I was the sole inheritor of a house in America

The attempt is to show that you actively live in a place - car insurance or things that you'd only have if living there. Sending mail to an address or transferring funds is not really showing that. Think about having utilities in your name, actually moving in with your father for a few months, registering your car in America, etc.

I don't think you need to rent an apartment if you are planning on living with your father. Just grin and bare the couple of months to get the domicile in order. I can almost assure you that if you move in with your father (and have proof of living there like receipts, etc.) and you do some of the normal activities of life like car insurance, you'll have no problem in meeting the requirements.

Did you get a 221(g)?

I appreciate your response. I honestly thought we would be alright, especially considering that we are such a straightforward, clean case. We did get a 221g so looks like I will need to head down with the kids before him.

I hope that I can still stay with my father, but since I won't be working (staying home with the babies) we are thinking I might need a lease. Will switch my driver's licence and will have to look at what else we can do to prove to them my residence.

Great. Another thing to worry about. Is there a chance that you have start the process over again over issues of domicile? If that's the case, after all this, I'm moving back home before the interview!

No, we don't need to start the process over, we just have to provide more proof of domicile. The lady was clear to mention that we don't need another interview, either.

Had I had been more keen on this topic (which to be honest I thought we had everything we needed) then I would have known to move down before the interview. The last thing you want to experience is what we experienced....dreadful.

NOA1 - June 4th, 2012

I'm so sorry this is happening. It really sucks. You're right, it seems that the only thing you can do is move. Which worries me since we're in a similar situation. We have no kids, and I work, but there's no way I can support myself in Vancouver without us being a double income household (I'm the canadian beneficiary, he's the USC (dual citizen, actually) petitioner). How does the 221 work? Does your hubby have to make another trip to Montreal to defend? How do you go about proving domicile at this point?

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

So sorry to hear about your situation WaitingforOregon.

I am the beneficiary.
USCIS
12/20/2013 ... I-130 sent from France to Chicago lockbox
12/23/2013 ... I-130 received
12/27/2013 ... NOA1 email received
01/07/2014 ... I-797C receipt received: Nebraska Service Center, Priority Date: December 23, 2013
06/06/2014 ... "Alien Registration Number Change" email received
07/23/2014 ... e-Request filed. 7 months since NOA1!!!
08/07/2014 ... e-Request response: Security checks still pending
09/15/2014 ... After various requests NSC email received stating that petition is "assigned to an officer" ... Going on 9 months since NOA1
09/24/2014 ... I-130 FINALLY APPROVED!!! ... After 9 months and 1 day
10/15/2014 ... Case shipped to NVC, three weeks after NOA2

NVC
10/28/2014 ... NVC received
11/18/2014 ... Case # and IIN assigned
12/02/2014 ... NVC welcome email received
12/31/2014 ... AOS and IV packages received at NVC - Scan Date
03/05/2015 ... 3 N/As - CASE COMPLETE!!!
03/11/2015 ... P4 email received

Consulate
04/15/2015 ... Interview - APPROVED!!!

POE

06/21/2015 ... Brooklyn Red Hook Terminal. Unbelievable feeling.

N-400

11/07/2020 ... Filed online

11/07/2020 ... Priority Date on paper NOA

06/05/2021 ... Biometrics appointment scheduled for 07/02/2021

07/02/2021 ... Biometrics done

09/15/2021 ... Interview .. APPROVED!!! Same day oath!

Timeline

Wow, we are in the exact same situation, like exact, exact and now I am terrified. I really thought we had enough and have almost the same evidence. I am panicking, not sure what else I can do before we get our interview date. Holy #######!!! I am so so so so so sorry you are going through this. :(

Timeline

Did you get a 221(g)?

We are in the exact same position and I would like to get your take on our evidence, how do you think this looks:

-US Voter Registration

-2 US Bank Accts

-2 US Credit Cards

-Maintained my US retirement fund

-Maintained payment of my US student loan

-Filed US consular report of birth abroad for my 2 kids

-Contract from realtor showing our house for sale in CA

-Letter from former business partner showing sale of my CA business

-Affidavit of residence for condo rental with my sister in US

-Letter from Mazda certifying our car meets standards to move to US

-Letters from US schools regarding enrolling my kids

-UPack Moving Quote

Timeline

What I find absurd is the rejection itself; the mere fact that a family is pursuing the legal route to move to the US should be proof enough of their intention.

Why else would a young family choose to go through the immigration process if they don't have the intention of moving there?

I honestly don't understand their rationale.

Timeline

What I find absurd is the rejection itself; the mere fact that a family is pursuing the legal route to move to the US should be proof enough of their intention.

Why else would a young family choose to go through the immigration process if they don't have the intention of moving there?

I honestly don't understand their rationale.

EXACTLY! This is just plain crazy and heartbreaking for those involved.

Timeline

I'm so sorry this is happening. It really sucks. You're right, it seems that the only thing you can do is move. Which worries me since we're in a similar situation. We have no kids, and I work, but there's no way I can support myself in Vancouver without us being a double income household (I'm the canadian beneficiary, he's the USC (dual citizen, actually) petitioner). How does the 221 work? Does your hubby have to make another trip to Montreal to defend? How do you go about proving domicile at this point?

I see you are from Portland, me too :) Well, the good news is, they told us at the interview that he does NOT need to go to another interview (thank goodness, that's a lot way from where we live!) - The bad news is that they did not, and could not give us our next steps to take. I kept asking the interviewer what else I can do, and she kept saying that she cannot advise us what to do. The 221 is basically a form that tells us we need to prove domicile, but gives absolutely no specifics as to how. I find this ridiculous. But anyway, at this point the plan is to move down with the kids, get established (switch back to my Oregon driver's licence, get a lease, etc) and provide Montreal with copies of those documents, basically saying "ok, I am living here now!!" and hopefully they will be able to approve my husband sooner than later. It breaks my heart to be away from him (especially with an 11 month old and 2 year old!!!) but we will do what we have to do.

NOA1 - June 4th, 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.