38 posts in this topic

Do you think he could actually come with me for the moving process? We are afraid of him being refused at the border and we don't want to cause more problems.

He can't move and driving with a moving van may cause him to be denied entry. I suggest shipping things vs your husband driving a uhaul, a full car, or taking a tonne of luggage.

Being denied entry won't affect his visa in any way (only a ban could do that) but it makes it hard if the whole family is there and one person suddenly has to turn around.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay so I have been going back and forth between MTL and Texas for a few months prepping for our move, I have a job in the US and signed a lease there. I do not have a driver's license or car insurance since I do not drive at this time. Do you guys think the lease, job letter and a boarding pass from Texas showing I just came back for the interview and the prep to move my family in addition to:

-US cc and bank accounts

-TX voter reg.

-US retirement fund

-US student Loan

-Contract with agent for our house in CA that is currently for sale

-Proof of sale of my business in CA

-Moving quote

-Emails for enrolling the kids in school

is enough? If not, what else do you suggest??? This is just plain craziness.

have a job?

Awesome, put in a few pay stubs or the employment offer or proof of employment. You're golden and likely don't need much else

have a lease?

Even better... add that to the employment and you don't really need anything else.

This is what Montreal wants: Job, place to live, kids registered in school

Everything else is to prove you're going to move because you don't have those things. Parrish, you have more than enough.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

have a job?

Awesome, put in a few pay stubs or the employment offer or proof of employment. You're golden and likely don't need much else

have a lease?

Even better... add that to the employment and you don't really need anything else.

This is what Montreal wants: Job, place to live, kids registered in school

Everything else is to prove you're going to move because you don't have those things. Parrish, you have more than enough.

Thanks NLR you have always been a help to me, this ####### is stressing me out!!! I just want to be home and I cannot for a second imagine having to add more time to what has already been way too much.

You can also get a State ID if you do not drive ;) but the job, lease, kids enrolled, moving quotes, voter reg, business and home in Canada for sale, and US student loan should be more than enough for domicile. You really covered it with the job and lease. The rest is extra. If need be open a bank account down there too (You can do CDN and US RBC or TD so you can transfer the money from your business and home sale to the USA easier as well.)

Timeline

You can also get a State ID if you do not drive wink.png but the job, lease, kids enrolled, moving quotes, voter reg, business and home in Canada for sale, and US student loan should be more than enough for domicile. You really covered it with the job and lease. The rest is extra. If need be open a bank account down there too (You can do CDN and US RBC or TD so you can transfer the money from your business and home sale to the USA easier as well.)

We already have an RBC US acct and US credit card not to mention a US Old Navy card too. :)

• 6 months later...
Timeline

Just going through this process should be intent. What would be the point of doing all this work and not living in the US? The visa and green card would be worthless (and expire) if you didn't live in the US!

OP, did you put USA or Canada as your country of domicile in the I-864? I'm a little confused as to whether you were trying to prove intent to move or claiming your domicile was in the USA. Sounds like you were trying to prove intent as you obviously were living in Canada. Please clarify for me! Thanks!

Edited by scottishlander

I hope this has worked itself out for OP. To update on my situation, I'm sure we got a particularly nice CO, but the only evidence she wanted to see was our moving quote. And I told her that hubby had registered himself as a music teacher in Portland, and we had a letter from his mom saying that we'd be living with her. And we got approved!

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.