love&cinta

Moms visa rejected 2 times

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I am a GC holder and married to US citizen, have no kids yet. I invited my mom to come to US thru tourist visa but her first and 2nd attempt both got denial. At the first attemp the VO asked why my dad wouldnt travel with her to US. My mom didnt prepare well the answer, she told the VO that my dad doesnt plan to come to US anytime soon, she then got pink document. At the 2nd attempt, the VO asked exactly the same question about the reason why my dad wouldnt travel with her to US. This time my mom explained that my dad has a back pain that wont let him sit too long on the plane. Then the VO asked whether my has any documents that she can see, then my mom handed her the invitation/ sponsorhip letter from me and my husband, our marriage certificate, the copy of my Permanent Resident card, and bank statement. After that the VO said that she agree with her friend (the 1st VO who interviewed my mom). Then my mom got the pink document again. My mom was being honest during her interview, she just wanted to visit me and my husband and planned to visit Niagara Falls. So I'm here to see if anyone has a clue what should my mom do to get her tourist visa on her next attempt? If my dad willing to travel with her to US will she get the visa? Please help... any thoughts will be appreciated, Thank you.

She got denied because she didn't show strong ties home. Your invitation letter probably did more harm than good. They likely believed she was going to illegally immigrate.

She can apply as many times as she wants, but she needs to go with evidence showing why she'll return after her visit - details about her home (mortgage/rent), a job etc.

They probably asked about your dad to ascertain if they were on good terms or living together or whatever, and she should have shown evidence that she wasn't just leaving him behind to move to America.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

She should focuss more on documents that would establish her ties to her country. Remember that the interview for the CO to know more about her than about you. Focus more on the reasons why she would return and not why she has to leave. The CO won't really care about your life there, she cares about your mom's life at home.

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Thank you for the responds, forgot to mention that I am the only one child, my dad is retired and my mom is a homemaker, they do have some assets/property. My mom told the VO that she would only visit US for about 2 weeks because of my dad need her most and his back pain its on and off, and my mom is the only one who can always beside him for my dads therapy. My mom also told the VO that she has a family meeting that required her to show up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

An invitation letter means zero for your mother, I am not sure why people think an invitation letter will actually help. She needs to apply and be approved on her own merits. She needs to show very strong ties to her home country proving she will return. Sending a letter that you will "sponsor " her probably hurt her. Firstly there is no sponsorship for a tourist visa, and secondly if you say you will support her it gives the CO the idea that it would be very easy for her to immigrate illegally if she can stay with you and not have to worry about income. Look at it through the COs eyes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thank you for the responds, forgot to mention that I am the only one child, my dad is retired and my mom is a homemaker, they do have some assets/property. My mom told the VO that she would only visit US for about 2 weeks because of my dad need her most and his back pain its on and off, and my mom is the only one who can always beside him for my dads therapy. My mom also told the VO that she has a family meeting that required her to show up.

Just saying she intends to return does not prove she will. She needs actual physical proof that she will go home

She's going to need to think harder about proof (actual paperwork), then, because that's not going to be enough.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There was another recent post that mentioned that Niagra Falls are better from the Canada side, has she applied for a Canadian Visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There was another recent post that mentioned that Niagra Falls are better from the Canada side, has she applied for a Canadian Visa?

I've also heard much the same. I meant to go when I was in New York for a couple weeks some years back but never made it.

I would recommend the OP go meet dear ol' mom in Canada, or you and the spouse go visit her.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Timeline

good.gifgood.gifgood.gif Probably Canada wouldn't refuse her twice. Ummm Canada also will ask for ties to a tourist visa applicant's home.

OP, your mom has to apply for the visa to either country based on her own merit. Remember, tourist visas are NOT easily given by COs.

Iron Sharpen Iron!

People will tell you to show proof thay she will return, like job contract, documents showing owning property bank account, then other people will come and say none of that proves she will return, so you can't win. It is just up to that person interviewing. My wife's mom got a visa on 3rd try.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Well to start being denied two times will hurt the application. It is the applicants duty to prove to the Consulate Officer that he or she intends to return to their country after their visit to the USA has completed.

My inlaws are from Ecuador and never been to the USA before, their daughter is a LPR I am a USC. I advised my in laws basically to prepare for the interview, there's a website ***removed*** that offers some good prep questions and on how to answer them. The Consulate Officers do not want long drawn out questions it makes your story sound like BS. If you give them clear and short and to the point you appear more believable.

My in laws were fully prepared and showed up to the interview with our invitation letter ( showing the trip planned had a defined time) , copy of their bank statement showing payroll and general use for the past 6 months, copies of letters from the credit card company showing their cards were valid to be used in the USA and they would have full unrestricted access to the balance, copies of car ownership documentation and copies of the deeds for their 2 houses.

They went in and the consulate officer asked very specific questions and they gave him very specific and to the point answers, presented the documents and the consulate officer told them basically to enjoy their time in the USA and if something happens where they find their selves needing to stay late they had to call some number and they were given the 5 year tourist visa both of them.

The consulate officer needs to justify to his or her self why they are granting the visa and if they don't feel absolutely comfortable they would rather deny.

Ooh and I too have heard to really experience the falls you need to see it from both sides ( I have heard Canada is better but need to see for my self)

Canadian tourist visas require the same information as USA and cost the same! I would love to bring my in laws there but it would be too much of a process to get the Canadian visas.

Your mother has to 'convince' a CO that she fully intends to return when stated and not engage in unauthorized employment while in the US....the 'convincing' is the challenging part, because documents won't or can' do much in a positive way in convincing a CO of one's true intentions...if the CO believes, for example, that she is coming to provide child care (if your spouse is poised to deliver a grandchild soon), that could undermine her credibility (child care = work)...having a spouse and a house is not a guarantee of visa issuance...if it were, then every applicant would find a way to obtain a document purporting to show possession/ownership of said house (property)...there are no specific bright line items one can bring to the interview....it's a different type of judgment call, based more on the consistency of answers, timing of answers and a few other factors...documents tend to be of far less value than most people think.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

To be honest if she apply a third time its highly unlikely she will ever get a visa. Sorry.

To be honest if she apply a third time its highly unlikely she will ever get a visa. Sorry.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.