wrestgirl

Fiance's visit

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I have already applied for the I-129F. Now I am wondering if it is possible to bring my fiance to the US as a tourist to stay here until our visa comes through...can he transfer and do the interview in the US without going back?

Thanks.

Sara

2006-12-13: Sent I-129F to CSC

2006-12-15: Recieved NOA1 in mail

2007-1-04: Touched

2007-1-12: Touched

2007-3-4: Approved

2007-3-14: Send to Amman

2007-8-4: Transfered to Damascus

2007-11-27: Interview: missing some important documents

2007-12-8: Turned in missing documents and 20 pages+ of more proof of relationship

2007-12-23: Administrative Processing

2008-1-17: Interview #2: sent Ahmed away because he didn't know the answer to a few questions

2008-3-5: Administrative Processing

2008-7-18: Sent to USCIS California Service Center for Review from State Department

2008-11-10: Came home from vacation in Damascus :((

2009-10-05: Married

2009-10-19: Filed I-130!!!!!!

waiting...........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Your fiance may be able to visit you while your K-1 is being processed, but there is no clear yes or no answer on that. I visited my fiance (I'm Canadian) while our K-1 was being processed, but I didn't require a visitors visa to do so. I drove across the border and as long as I had proof of strong ties to Canada, there was no problem with me "visiting" him.

Your fiance may or may not be allowed to enter the U.S. to visit you. It is completely dependant on the border officer that he gets, but the best way to ensure that he will be allowed to enter the U.S. is to supply proof of ties to his home country, such as mortgage/lease documents, his most recent pay stubs, a letter from his employer or school stating the date he is expected back.

Without proof of ties to his home country, there is a very good chance he will be denied entry.

And, no, he cannot have his interview in the U.S. He must return to his home country for the medical exam and interview.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
I have already applied for the I-129F. Now I am wondering if it is possible to bring my fiance to the US as a tourist to stay here until our visa comes through...can he transfer and do the interview in the US without going back?

Thanks.

Not in a million years....they will laugh you out of the embassy (I know because my fiance and I tried the same thing.) It's the curse of being Iraqi in this day and age....they will barely allow my fiance into Jordan anymore. I went to Jordan for a few months so that we could be together but then came back to the U.S. and we are waiting out the rest of our Visa processing time apart. Going on 6 months since I saw him :(

*************** K1 TIMELINE ****************

November 15, 2005 - I-129F Petition mailed to Vermont Service Center

Nov. 23 NOA-1 RFeceived / December 05, 2005 - NOA-2 Received

December 14, 2005 - Case # and packet received from U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

January 15, 2006 - Completed packet mailed to U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

March 26, 2006 - Letter received stating Visa Appointment scheduled for October 12, 2006

October 12, 2006 - Visa Interview - Approved!

October - December 2006 - Administrative Processing / Security Check

December 20, 2006 - State Department finishes administrative processing

January 24, 2007 - I FINALLY find out Visa is ready because NO ONE EVER called us from the embassy in Amman

February 27, 2007 - Passport sent off to embassy in Amman to have Visa put in

April 13, 2007 - VISA IN HAND!!! After 17 months....Friday the 13th...how fitting.

April 24, 2007 - Entrance into U.S. at Chicago O'Hare...YAY!!!

***************** AOS TIMELINE ******************

May 15, 2007 - Finally Married!!!!

May 17, 2007- Received Social Security Number

May 29, 2007 - Mailed of AOS/EAD Packet

June 9, 2007 - Received NOA-1

June 28, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

July 26, 2007 - RFE for I-485 (need to re-submit W-2s for sponsor and joint sponsor)

August 18, 2007 - Recived appointment letter for I-485.

October 25, 2007 - Green Card Interview!

***************** Lifting of Conditions ******************

October 19, 2009 - Interview for 10 yr. Green Card - Lifting of conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks.

You can always try for a tourist visa but how will you overcome "intent to immigrate"?

Even if you were successful, the interview will occur at the foreign consulate not in the US, no exception.

YMMV

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Sorry, but the whole process is not as easy at it seems. I would not risk anything and the interview will definitely be the home country. But good luck anyway.

v34h.jpg

LhJUm4.png

pf2Rm4.png

7gOjm4.png?2CQ9jiXQ

Met on October 18, 1996 in a bar called "Calypso" in Richmond, Virginia, during my Au-Pair year

View complete Timeline:

Quick Facts:
02/23/2006 - sent I 129 to VSC (first step done!) 07/13/2006 - received Visa!
09/22/2006 - civil marriage in New York City
10/05/2006 - sent AOS papers to VSC
12/11/2006 - Welcome Letter and GREEN CARD in Mail!!!!!! Lets' party!!!!!
09/24/2008 - sent Removal of conditions package to VSC
07/02/2009 - received 10 year Green Card! YEAH!!!!! Finally!
2014 - Citizenship

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In principal he could apply for a B2 and go back for the interview.

In practice, Iraq, a wase of the application fee.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

The unfortunate thing is that people from MENA countries are pretty much assured of a denial for a tourist visa these days. And with the war in Iraq, like the others have said, not worth losing the visa fee, which they charge whether or not the visa is issued. In addition, if he is refused the visa, it looks funny that he applied for one and then for a fiance visa (no matter what the order, he will have a visa refusal on his record when he has to go to the interview). I was strongly advised NOT to have my fiance come on a tourist visa, by an attorney. But, you can always try if you have your heart set on it.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

On the topic of being able to show evidence of "strong ties" to the home country... What if I have none? I've read what sort of proof is required and can't seem to find something I could show. Here's why:

Most of the time, people (like in this topic, but pretty much everywhere else) will suggest to bring proof of having a mortgage, a rent, a job, or studies. So, in that order:

- I live with my dad, meaning I do not have a place of my own (= no mortgage, no rent, etc.)

- I don't have a job, meaning no employer who can vouch for me.

- By the time I'd like to go visit my fiancée (I am the foreign fiancé), I will have graduated from college, meaning my school could not vouch for me either.

So what's left for me?

Here's what I've thought of:

- Recent bills from my cell phone operator

- Recent bank statements

- Recent credit card statements

- A return ticket, if I can even get one! In the era of online reservations and electronic tickets, all I have on me until I check in at the airport is a stupid email with my flight plan... I haven't held a plane ticket in years, except when handing it to the lady at the boarding gate.

- Letters from family and friends stating that... they exist?

- A statement (written? is verbal enough? should I bring a copy of the NOA1 or 2 if I already have those?) that I'm currently going through the process of obtaining a K-1 visa, that I know about it and that I know I must return to my country for my interview at the US embassy, and that's just what the plan is?

So, yeah...

Anyway, I have to ask: isn't this whole stress over the POE blown a bit out of proportion? I went to the US several times before and never had anything remotely close to a problem. I often went with my parents in the past and I doubt they ever brought any evidence of strong ties to the home country with them. Last time I went (alone), I even told the officer that I was visiting my girlfriend when asked about the purpose of my visit, and he didn't say anything and just let me through without a hitch. Maybe I got lucky all those times? My POE was (and always will be) Philadelphia, if that makes a difference, and I travel with a Swiss passport.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks.

There is no way that they will let him do the interview in the US.

I was actually going to go to the states in December once I got my interview date. Since I wouldn't exceed the 90 days, I was gonna fly here for the interview and then go back. I changed my mind though because i did not want to risk anything - plus, with my daughter being in kindergarten and loving it, I didn't wanna take her to the US in the spur of the moment.

If I were you, I wouldn't risk it. If your fiance does come and visit you, tell him not to tell customs that when he enters the POE ... if he does, they will just send him back home.

My friend wasted a plane ticket last year when she went to see her boyfriend. She told the customs officer that she was going to see him and they said NOPE! They are worried that people will go and get marrie din the states and then try to apply for a visa there.

So ... don't take a chance! Just wait it out. It doesn't always take long. We applied around July and I have my interview date next week. Sometimes the process goes even faster. It took my friend 4 months to get everything.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
On the topic of being able to show evidence of "strong ties" to the home country... What if I have none? I've read what sort of proof is required and can't seem to find something I could show. Here's why:

Most of the time, people (like in this topic, but pretty much everywhere else) will suggest to bring proof of having a mortgage, a rent, a job, or studies. So, in that order:

- I live with my dad, meaning I do not have a place of my own (= no mortgage, no rent, etc.)

- I don't have a job, meaning no employer who can vouch for me.

- By the time I'd like to go visit my fiancée (I am the foreign fiancé), I will have graduated from college, meaning my school could not vouch for me either.

So what's left for me?

Here's what I've thought of:

- Recent bills from my cell phone operator

- Recent bank statements

- Recent credit card statements

- A return ticket, if I can even get one! In the era of online reservations and electronic tickets, all I have on me until I check in at the airport is a stupid email with my flight plan... I haven't held a plane ticket in years, except when handing it to the lady at the boarding gate.

- Letters from family and friends stating that... they exist?

- A statement (written? is verbal enough? should I bring a copy of the NOA1 or 2 if I already have those?) that I'm currently going through the process of obtaining a K-1 visa, that I know about it and that I know I must return to my country for my interview at the US embassy, and that's just what the plan is?

So, yeah...

Anyway, I have to ask: isn't this whole stress over the POE blown a bit out of proportion? I went to the US several times before and never had anything remotely close to a problem. I often went with my parents in the past and I doubt they ever brought any evidence of strong ties to the home country with them. Last time I went (alone), I even told the officer that I was visiting my girlfriend when asked about the purpose of my visit, and he didn't say anything and just let me through without a hitch. Maybe I got lucky all those times? My POE was (and always will be) Philadelphia, if that makes a difference, and I travel with a Swiss passport.

The difference is that you're Swiss....we haven't had a whole lot of problems with the Swiss trying to pour into the U.S. - illegally or otherwise. It is different when it comes to the MENA countries as well as others like Mexico and Latin America. Due to the surge in illegal immigration from these countries it is difficult to obtain a tourist Visa to the U.S. But Europeans, at least as far as I know, are still able to qualify for tourist visas without much difficulty.

*************** K1 TIMELINE ****************

November 15, 2005 - I-129F Petition mailed to Vermont Service Center

Nov. 23 NOA-1 RFeceived / December 05, 2005 - NOA-2 Received

December 14, 2005 - Case # and packet received from U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

January 15, 2006 - Completed packet mailed to U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

March 26, 2006 - Letter received stating Visa Appointment scheduled for October 12, 2006

October 12, 2006 - Visa Interview - Approved!

October - December 2006 - Administrative Processing / Security Check

December 20, 2006 - State Department finishes administrative processing

January 24, 2007 - I FINALLY find out Visa is ready because NO ONE EVER called us from the embassy in Amman

February 27, 2007 - Passport sent off to embassy in Amman to have Visa put in

April 13, 2007 - VISA IN HAND!!! After 17 months....Friday the 13th...how fitting.

April 24, 2007 - Entrance into U.S. at Chicago O'Hare...YAY!!!

***************** AOS TIMELINE ******************

May 15, 2007 - Finally Married!!!!

May 17, 2007- Received Social Security Number

May 29, 2007 - Mailed of AOS/EAD Packet

June 9, 2007 - Received NOA-1

June 28, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

July 26, 2007 - RFE for I-485 (need to re-submit W-2s for sponsor and joint sponsor)

August 18, 2007 - Recived appointment letter for I-485.

October 25, 2007 - Green Card Interview!

***************** Lifting of Conditions ******************

October 19, 2009 - Interview for 10 yr. Green Card - Lifting of conditions

The difference is that you're Swiss....we haven't had a whole lot of problems with the Swiss trying to pour into the U.S. - illegally or otherwise. It is different when it comes to the MENA countries as well as others like Mexico and Latin America. Due to the surge in illegal immigration from these countries it is difficult to obtain a tourist Visa to the U.S. But Europeans, at least as far as I know, are still able to qualify for tourist visas without much difficulty.

Thank you; I understand this topic is about an Iraqi entering the US, and I apologize for not making it clear that my question(s) was/were intended in a more general way, independent of national origins. My intent is not to hijack this topic but I just decided to use an existing thread on the topic I was wondering about; maybe I shouldn't have? I'm new here and only trying to avoid making a nuisance of myself already :innocent:

It's only since I've started looking into this K-1 visa that I've started reading all the horror stories about perfectly honest people getting turned away at the border for telling the truth (and I don't mean a dumb truth like "oh I'm here to get married on my VWP", but rather something like "I'm here to visit my girlfriend"), and I'm growing paranoid of just doing something (flying to the US) which, up until recently, seemed like a breeze to me!

Edited by Shub

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Thank you; I understand this topic is about an Iraqi entering the US, and I apologize for not making it clear that my question(s) was/were intended in a more general way, independent of national origins. My intent is not to hijack this topic but I just decided to use an existing thread on the topic I was wondering about; maybe I shouldn't have? I'm new here and only trying to avoid making a nuisance of myself already :innocent:

It's only since I've started looking into this K-1 visa that I've started reading all the horror stories about perfectly honest people getting turned away at the border for telling the truth (and I don't mean a dumb truth like "oh I'm here to get married on my VWP", but rather something like "I'm here to visit my girlfriend"), and I'm growing paranoid of just doing something (flying to the US) which, up until recently, seemed like a breeze to me!

Well the original OP's question has been answered several times.

Actually it would be nearly as difficult for you to get a Visa, B2, but you have the advantage of the VWP.

When I was younger and nieve I also said I was visiting my girlfriend, if I thought about it at all I probably thought of it as a positive!

If you look at those who were turned back at the PoE then usually there is a reason, if you are just travelling on holiday a couple of times a year your chances of a problem are slim. Try and live here on the VWP and then its a different situation.

A refused B2 has no negativity for a K1, they are usually refused for lack of non immigrant intent, something you obviously have with a K.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

wrestgirl,

"tourist to stay here" is an oxymoron. He can visit for as long as he is allowed to visit, but he cannot take up residence in advance of obtaining the proper approvals.

If you want to seriously consider what you propose you should discuss the issues with an experienced immigration attorney.

Yodrak

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.