sara82

How the social security card looks like ?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Do not laminate the card. In other words do not permanently encase it in plastic. You can place it in a plastic or other holder to protect it but it must not be sealed inside another substance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

when do you apply the the SS card? Ill be moving to the US from Canada the first week of march. How and when do you apply for one? Do you need to be married first?

Hello , You have received your number social Security card in 1 week after u coming to US ?? wooow i wait 2 months and 15 days normally you get this paper after biometrics. ???? U are sure ???

Getting a SSN is totally unrelated to biometrics.

A K-1 can get a SSN upon entry. A CR-1 will also get a SSN mailed to them. Getting a SSN 1 week after arrival is not unusual.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

A K-1 can get a SSN upon entry. A CR-1 will also get a SSN mailed to them. Getting a SSN 1 week after arrival is not unusual.

We had to go to the Social Security office to get my wife's (CR-1). It was not auto-mailed. We did that within the first week of her arriving, all they needed was her stamped entry from her passport. We were even able to use her married name with copies of our marriage license even though her passport was still in her maiden name.

Filed: Timeline

Do not laminate the card. In other words do not permanently encase it in plastic. You can place it in a plastic or other holder to protect it but it must not be sealed inside another substance.

Thank you belinda for the interesting information

when do you apply the the SS card? Ill be moving to the US from Canada the first week of march. How and when do you apply for one? Do you need to be married first?

Hi ,im married yes, im CR1 visa , im not sure how the other visa process goes,i didn't applied for the social security card , i just came last

Hello , You have received your number social Security card in 1 week after u coming to US ?? wooow i wait 2 months and 15 days normally you get this paper after biometrics. ???? U are sure ???

Hello, i hope you receive your social security card soon, i had a doubt to be sure if the paper i received is the social securiry card or not because i expected to receive this card after a weeks from my Port of entry date , i just received in the mail this paper , no biometrics

not yet received the green card , may be it will take one month or more

Edited by sara82

Hi VJ family, i entered the united states last week, today i received a mail from the social security administration ,with some information , my name, and social security number , above this 'card' there is ; Adults; sign this card in ink immediately children ;.....please is this the social security card ? i thought it's lik driver licence card or bank cards mellow.png

Thank you

Google social security card.

Yes, True

Also, as the above poster noted -- it's better NOT to carry your actual card in your wallet. Place it someplace safe and memorize (or write down) the number elsewhere. You will only need to show the actual card on one or two occasions: when you get a new job is the only real time they will ask to see your card, possibly some banks will also want to see it if you open new accounts. Otherwise, your number is all you need.

This is good and Important information!good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hello, i hope you receive your social security card soon, i had a doubt to be sure if the paper i received is the social securiry card or not because i expected to receive this card after a weeks from my Port of entry date , i just received in the mail this paper , no biometrics

not yet received the green card , may be it will take one month or more

Hi Sara,

When was your POE? Mine was on Dec 15th, 2013

GC & SSN
07-05-2013: Immigrant fee - $165 - paid
12-15-2013: POE Detroit
02-04-2014: ELIS - CASE STATUS: OPTIMIZED (Case received: 01-02-2014. STATUS DETAILS: In Process)
02-11-2014: USCIS - "Your new card is being produced etc...."
02-14-2014: USCIS - Card has been picked up by USPS - ELIS is down
02-15-2014: GC delivered!
Removal of Condition
11-16-2015: I-751 Petition sent to the California Center
11-19-2015: Petition received (UPS)
11-19-2015: NOA USCIS
11-23-2015: Check of $590 (Petion Fees) cashed
12-23-2015: Biometrics
05-05-2016: RFE
08-15-2016: Interview (positive)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

sara82 a couple of people have mentioned this but I just wanted to reiterate it. The reason the card is only paper is because it's not meant to ever be carried with you. And you almost never have to show it to anyone. Like others have said - just memorize the number. Whenever you're asked for it - you only need to give the number. You will rarely, if ever, need to show the card.

I have never been asked to show my card even once in my entire life! Which is great because I lost it sometime about 40 years ago! I've never even had it replaced. But there are a few very rare occasions when you might need to show it.

The people who told you not to laminate were absolutely right. Because there may be a time when you are asked to show it and sometimes it is required that it not be laminated. It has to be in exactly the form you have it in now - uncovered paper.

Edited by Jon York

event.png

event.png

event.png

I Am The Petitioner

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? WE WISH!

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

I-129F Sent : 12/07/2013

I-129F NOA1 : 12/16/2013

Alien Registration Number Changed: 12/24/2013

Wait... wait... wait... wait...

Asked Congressman to send service request to USCIS: 7/1/2014

USCIS received Congressman's inquiry: 7/3/2014

Notification via USCIS Website of NOA2 - Approved: 7/5/2014

NOA2: 6/25/2014 - We found out later it had been approved (but not posted) before congressional inquiry received.

Shipped to Embassy: 7/17/2014

Received by Embassy: 7/21/2014 - Status: READY

Packet 3.5: 7/24/2014

Packet 3.5 Sent: 8/7/2014 (We had delays because of civil unrest in Pakistan)

Embassy Receive: 8/21/2014 (Again delays due to civil unrest)

Receive Appointment Letter/Interview Date: 8/27/2014 (interview date in just 9 days)!

Medical Exam: 8/29/2014 (Yikes! The whole thing has now been postponed for 2 months for TB testing)

Interview Date: Originally 9/5/2014 - Now Postponed for at least two months

TB Test Results: 10/15/2014 - came back 18 days early! And she's negative!

Interview Rescheduled 10/17/2014: (embassy moving at lightning speed)!

New Interview Date: 10/29/2014 APPROVED!!!

CEAC Updates to AP: 11/13/2014

CEAC Updates to ISSUED!! 11/14/2014

Visa In-Hand: 11/24/2014

Arrival in USA: 11/27/2014 -- 11 MONTHS, 1 WEEK, 4 DAYS AFTER NOA1

MARRIED: 11/30/2014 !!!

[/center]

THE END!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.