Theglassguy

How do I get Asylum Visa for my wife mother and sister??

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Wife is from the Ukraine. We are wondering with all the problems over in her country maybe we can get Asylum visa for her sister and her husband and mother. Help me if you can. Thank you.

Are they in a group being persecuted?

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Timeline

First, there is no such thing as an 'asylum visa'...asylum is a particular type of status....and asylum cannot be given to somebody still residing in their own country (refugee status is the one used when people are living in their own country, but refugee status is generally engaged by Congress [assuming they ever got off their behinds to accomplish anything!].....your relatives would first have to try to get a tourist visa, but that could prove daunting for any number of reasons (and if they get caught lying during their interview, they cannot escape a denial by then begging for asylum...asylum is not granted by our embassies overseas)...and even upon arrival in the US, they would have to make a very good case why they are being persecuted (not just being unhappy with the current conditions in the Ukraine)...

Now, there are plenty of ethically challenged immigration attorneys whose main business is asylum claims...most of those practitioners' have pre-written scripts for their clients to commit to memory, along with an ample supply of questionable documents from any country in the world that are often used to fool immigration judges...and...the process is not cheap...around $20-30,000 on average....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If she is a USC then she can petition her Sister and Mother, Husband would be included with Sister.

UNHCR handle refugees, they have a web site, you can look on there.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I know a person who obtained a refugee visa from Iran. He had to prove he was Christian and that because of his religion he was in danger. He had a church help him and it still took over one year. He had to spend about 5 months in a camp in Austria (I think) then obtain the visa.

Just having riots in your country is not a reason for a refugee visa. You must show that the person is in danger for specific reasons. Otherwise any person in a country where there was unrest (think of part of Africa, Korea, China) could come here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I know a person who obtained a refugee visa from Iran. He had to prove he was Christian and that because of his religion he was in danger. He had a church help him and it still took over one year. He had to spend about 5 months in a camp in Austria (I think) then obtain the visa.

Just having riots in your country is not a reason for a refugee visa. You must show that the person is in danger for specific reasons. Otherwise any person in a country where there was unrest (think of part of Africa, Korea, China) could come here.

Which part of Africa does not have unrest?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

In any event, an asylum claim will not likely prevail when the only motivating factor is a clownish government...being unhappy with one's life in their native country is not grounds for winning asylum....if asylum could be granted for anyone whose own country was experiencing unrest or lousy political decisions, well, given what we endure in the US, where would people claim asylum? We have enough silly political decisions being made right here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.