bob4

No longer wants to marry me

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Let's all face it, you never really know a person until you live with that person. You could have grown up as neighbors on the same block, then dated for years, proclaiming your undying love and respect for each other, then you marry and live together and a year latter your asking yourself "who is this person I thought I knew, trusted and respected". The heart is tricky, who knows it.

Wish you both the best of luck.

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

sorry to hear that. and yes, you need to go back home if your fiance wont marry you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

K1 needs to be done away with in it's entirety.

What?

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Timeline

What?

Yes. Completely abolished.

1) It will remove the ambiguousness of proving intent to marry. Guess what Mr. CO, we are exactly already married. Thank you Sir.

2) No more of the; I came into the US and my Boyfriend who sworn to marry me has reneigned. Now what? I can't go back home shameful that my relationship failed.

3) I believe that it puts both bene and peti on equal footing when the pet is not holding immigration status on the head of the bene.

Of course I am just Gowon, just my opinion, I am neither USCIS nor DOS.

Edit: Oh yes happy xmas and all the other good stuff.

Edited by Gowon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Eliminating the K1 would stop some relationships dead in their track no matter how legit they are . I do believe that the petitioner should be responsible for the return travel expenses if they back out and that they need to use a legally enforceable affidavit of support not the I134

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Eliminating the K1 would stop some relationships dead in their track no matter how legit they are . I do believe that the petitioner should be responsible for the return travel expenses if they back out and that they need to use a legally enforceable affidavit of support not the I134

You see now we are talking.

My goal is to reduce/remove the same heartache that my Wife and I faced. Let's have whatever it takes to see a higher increase in approvals. Increase the poverty level requirement, etc

Will there be collateral damage? Of course but they can always get married.

How many scammers will go through the hassles of marriage, etc. I know some will.

Edited by Gowon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes. Completely abolished.

1) It will remove the ambiguousness of proving intent to marry. Guess what Mr. CO, we are exactly already married. Thank you Sir.

2) No more of the; I came into the US and my Boyfriend who sworn to marry me has reneigned. Now what? I can't go back home shameful that my relationship failed.

3) I believe that it puts both bene and peti on equal footing when the pet is not holding immigration status on the head of the bene.

Of course I am just Gowon, just my opinion, I am neither USCIS nor DOS.

Edit: Oh yes happy xmas and all the other good stuff.

I'd say if any of that is the issue, they should just do away with visas from high fraud countries. That would settle the majority of all that from both visas.

A lot of that could also be solved simply by two people doing things responsibly and get to know the other person first, instead of rushing into it.

Removing an entire visa because people aren't making good choices in the first place is a bit daft. Either of the two things above would solve a lot of problems across multiple visas, including K-1s.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

I'd say if any of that is the issue, they should just do away with visas from high fraud countries. That would settle the majority of all that from both visas.

A lot of that could also be solved simply by two people doing things responsibly and get to know the other person first, instead of rushing into it.

Removing an entire visa because people aren't making good choices in the first place is a bit daft. Either of the two things above would solve a lot of problems across multiple visas, including K-1s.

What's really daft is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

Asking people to get married instead of using the Fiance visa will streamline the process, it's an astute recommendation.

My suggestion doesn't banish applicants and beneficiary. Yours on the other hand does, and is rather insensitive and isolates.

What's really daft is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

Asking people to get married instead of using the Fiance visa will streamline the process, it's an astute recommendation.

My suggestion doesn't banish applicants and beneficiary. Yours on the other hand does, and is rather insensitive and isolates.

Banishing the K-1 wouldn't solve any problem beyond the unmarried and abandonded fiancee. We'd just have more abandonded immigrant spouses who don't know how to survive in the USA, and as many that to want return without the means to return home. Requiring the purchase of an open return ticket for both cr-1 and K-1 might help though. And how many times do we hear they got here and split as soon as the green card arrived complaints?

what's the big difference between a couple that meets for two weeks on vacation and files a K-1 as opposed to one that meets for two weeks and gets married to file a cr-1?

No matter what visa it is, people are going to rush in without truly knowing the person. And even when you think you really know them, threes lots to learn when you're no longer on vacation and living together.

Edited by Caryh

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Banishing the K-1 wouldn't solve any problem beyond the unmarried and abandonded fiancee. We'd just have more abandonded immigrant spouses who don't know how to survive in the USA, and as many that want return without the means to return home. Requiring the purchase of an open return ticket for both cr-1 and K-1 might help though. And home many times do we here they got here and split as soon as the been card arrived complaints?

what's the big difference between a couple that meets for two weeks on vacation and files a K-1 as opposed to one that meets for two weeks and gets married to file a cr-1?

No matter what visa it is, people are going to rush in without truly knowing the person. And even when you think you really know them, threes lots to learn when you're no longer on vacation and living together.

1) Abandoned CR1/IR1 bene = one that can stay legally (no risk of bans, being scared of deportation, etc), find some work legally. Pretty much the USC has nothing to hold over that person.

2) Abandoned K1 bene = has to leave the US, can never adjust except to abuse VAWA, no chance to work, etc. At the whim of the USC mostly.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

1) Abandoned CR1/IR1 bene = one that can stay legally (no risk of bans, being scared of deportation, etc), find some work legally. Pretty much the USC has nothing to hold over that person.

2) Abandoned K1 bene = has to leave the US, can never adjust except to abuse VAWA, no chance to work, etc. At the whim of the USC mostly.

Hey, Gowon, you've got points in your idea. However, I think there should be an extensive research to be conducted, like percentage of unsuccessful relationships from K1, causes and effects, etc....whatsoever. :)

In my case, I am thankful that I came to the US on K1 visa, not CR1. If not, I might be filing for a divorce and more heartaches and expenses.

Yes, K1 visa is risky by chance, if the beneficiary intends to come to America solely to immigrate, not purely because of love, or maybe both love and immigration. It depends on the situation / status of the beneficiary.

CR1 is much safer for the beneficiary if he/she is not set to come home once marriage fails or not working as expected.

It is a case to case scenario. On my behalf, at least, I wasn't married to him yet, and when I realized it wasn't worth of my sacrifices, I was able to come home faster, and not deal with any hassle of getting divorce. I was able to come back immediately to my work at my home country, which really sucks if I didn't get it back as I really do have a good and stable job here. Out of love, I tried to come to the USA thinking it will work out (of course, at the beginning I never thought it wouldn't). But things changed when I arrived in the US and I didn't like how I was treated. I left confused and felt not ready to marry and so I came back before 90 days. So for me, K-1 is better.

In short, it really depends on the situation of the beneficiary...how stable he / she in her home country, or does he / she wants to immigrate to US, or maybe any other reasons. At any rate, I'm thankful I got the chance to enjoy shopping and see a little of beautiful spots in America. :) I came home devastated, but I would never regret of my decision in coming home. Everything happens for a reason. And I got mine. Thanks VJ friends.

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

And what or the people that come on the CR1 and the beneficiary runs off and sues to petitioner for support. There is abuse of both classes of visas usually caused by some fool that is hell bent on marrying someone they have had less contact with than their kindergarten teacher.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.