BecnChris2018

K-1 visa approved! But.. administrative processing?

10 posts in this topic

So I got a call from my fiancee this morning in tears because on our status on the CEAC website, after the interview where she was approved and they took her passport, it says "Administrative Processing." Of course the first thing she did was google it and discovered countless horror stories.

She doesn't have a Middle Eastern name, she's always lived in the UK, etc. We seemed to get through the process pretty easily and her interview was really easy.

So what should we be expecting from this? I've heard it can last for upward to two weeks or 6 months... neither of which really makes us happy since we've set our wedding date for Feb. 23rd.

ranting33va.gif

Just because one doesn't have middle eastern name doesn't mean they won't get AP, there are many reasons for it.

That might have come off wrong. I meant simply that from everything I've read, one of the reasons is for having ties to the Middle East. I don't think that applies here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Sorry to hear that - It is true as you learned by Google but this is also true we can not pin point the reason for AP. Yes - it can take from days to months but I suggest you for now to think positive and the result will be in your favor. Sometimes we have seen here and I also experienced the CEAC status changes daily and this process should be pronounced as Annoying Process. Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!

Don't panic yet -- all approved cases at the London embassy go into Administrative Processing for a few days after the approval (if it was genuine administrative processing, they would not have kept your passport normally). I just got my passport/visa back from the embassy last week. My case went into AP as well 48 hours after the interview, it was like that for 3 days, then the status changed to "Issued". I got an email that the passport was handed to the courrier 2 days after it was issued, and it was available to collect the following day. All told it took 8 days from the interview. Basically AP after approval is where they prepare all the documents to put in your sealed package, etc before printing the actual visa. Unless it lasts more than 2 weeks, it's nothing to worry about, your status should change to "Issued" soon.

Agree the CEAC status changes to AP (sometimes for only a day ) before it goes to "issued". My guess it when the interviewer sends it down to the visa printing room, it gets the designation of administrative processing. Depending on how busy they are, or if they ran out of ink or paper or something, there could be a big pile to work on so may take a couple of days before the visa is printed (issued).

If it doesn't change for weeks, then she can fret about what the hold up is.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Timeline

So I got a call from my fiancee this morning in tears because on our status on the CEAC website, after the interview where she was approved and they took her passport, it says "Administrative Processing." Of course the first thing she did was google it and discovered countless horror stories.

She doesn't have a Middle Eastern name, she's always lived in the UK, etc. We seemed to get through the process pretty easily and her interview was really easy.

So what should we be expecting from this? I've heard it can last for upward to two weeks or 6 months... neither of which really makes us happy since we've set our wedding date for Feb. 23rd.

ranting33va.gif

Look for what is "right" rather than digging for wrongness. We went into AP right after the approval. It was there for a few days and then Shazam! Issued. Worry about the things over which you have control. Not, those you cannot wrangle. It will work out well.

Don't worry too much. AP could just be final checks before they issue her the VISA. I was in AP for 4 days. I know how much you guys want everything to go right. Calm her down and assure her everything will work out for the best. They already said she was approved and took her passport. Thats a very good sign. Sometimes "administrative processing" is really nothing more than them processing/finalizing documents in your case.

Edited by iammrsregi

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My interview k1 visa was approved of the September 23, 2016, and now September 29 the status of my case is "administrartivo process" my fiance and I are very worried and sad as we were and we were planning the wedding and everything .. that we must do? how long will this all take? someone else is going through this or already passing through this situation.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::ranting::ranting:

• 2 years later...
On 9/29/2016 at 11:15 PM, Nathalie21 said:

My interview k1 visa was approved of the September 23, 2016, and now September 29 the status of my case is "administrartivo process" my fiance and I are very worried and sad as we were and we were planning the wedding and everything .. that we must do? how long will this all take? someone else is going through this or already passing through this situation.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::ranting::ranting:

Hello. Can you please update me on what had happened with your k1 fiance visa ever since? I'm currently in the same position and my fiance got approved at the interview.. Now we can AP and they returned his passport. Only been 4 days since the interview. Lot of internet search told me I was fine and that this is normal but I. Am wondering why they returned his passport. No letters or emails or anything required from us. We are very worried can someone help? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.