gorjuzk8

Is there a limit to how much $ i can bring as k1 visa holder?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi again guys,

I am so sorry, I cannot find to what topic I should post this,

I would like to know how much money I can bring in to the US,

Can i bring all my savings over there? and if i declare it, would i be taxed?

I was planning to bring more than 20,000$ if they will allow it,

The thing is i don't like asking for money, and not used to that,

as I believe I won't be able to work until after a permit has been given,

and I doubt I will be able to find the job that I like right away..

Will this be enough for a year? I am so uncomfortable without savings,

and I don't think 10,000 will fit..

You can bring as much as you like tax free. There is no tax to move money to the US.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I believe that there is a limit...$10,000 cash that you can carry with you. When we entered Detroit, I was asked how much cash do I have with me. It was below the limit but the officer did not ask to see it.

What I read here previously, one woman opened a dollar account with Citibank locally and then she just maintained the account in the US. She could withdraw the money from there.

Hope that helps. All the best.

Jessica

Filed: Timeline

You are permitted to bring any amount, yet you need to declare the amount if it is greater than $10,000. As to your question whether this will be enough - that all depends upon where you live and how much you spend. Your provide suggests the NYC area, which is expensive.

Build a household budget with your fiancé and you have your answer.

Edited by JRF

Timeline

I believe that there is a limit...$10,000 cash that you can carry with you. When we entered Detroit, I was asked how much cash do I have with me. It was below the limit but the officer did not ask to see it.

What I read here previously, one woman opened a dollar account with Citibank locally and then she just maintained the account in the US. She could withdraw the money from there.

Hope that helps. All the best.

Jessica

Hi thanks!! that is actually a good idea.. I will inquire right away, there should be a citibank somewhere in Jersey City.. Hopefully..

You are permitted to bring any amount, yet you need to declare the amount if it is greater than $10,000. As to your question whether this will be enough - that all depends upon where you live and how much you spend. Your provide suggests the NYC area, which is expensive.

Build a household budget with your fiancé and you have your answer.

Hi JRF, thanks so much.. My fiance is a nurse which is good for us, but you are right, it is pretty expensive living there..

Everytime I went to visit I spend a lot for food and shopping when I am out with friends.. But everything is going to change from here on in..

thanks again..

Edited by gorjuzk8

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi again guys,

There is no limit or tax. Amounts over $10,000 will be recorded and reported. Not an issue if you are just moving your own money. It can be done by wire transfer between banks. I do not recommend carrying that much cash

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Hi again guys,

As others have said the limit before having to declare it is $10,000. I would highly suggest you either wire the money to a US bank account--your fiancee's for example or get it in a certified check you can use to open a new account in the US. Do not carry that much cash with you as it might easily be separated from you and then you are out all that money.

Good luck,

Dave

Timeline

As others have stated, do a wire transfer. Do not carry that type of moeny with you.

Before you leave, go to the branch where you opened your account. Get to know the manager. Advise him you will be moving to the United States and will be opening a U.S. account upon your arrival here.

During the conversation, ask him / her what forms are required to initiate an international wire transfer. BE SURE to ask him / her if you can email or fax the forms to him / her. If he / she will not allow you to email or fax the forms, you may have to disgnate a power of attny for a freind / relative.

If you decide to travel with it, DO NOT even think about NOT declaring it. That is a serious NO NO.

If you carry it with you and DO NOT declare AND U.S. Customs discovers the funds. They ( U.S. Customs ) will seize all your funds. Then you will have to go through a process to get the funds back. This process takes about a year to complete.

Good luck.

Small word of advise, when you get to the U.S., set your bank account up where ONLY YOU have access to it and NOBODY else.

I know we would all LOVE to think that everything will go okay on our new path in life, but things happen. Read some of the stories here on VJ.

If after 1 year and everything is going good, then start to merge your accounts. The last thing you want to find out is all your funds have been depleted without your knowledge.

Now before anyone comes on here and starts to blast me for that last statement, that is advise from my late grandmother. She always told me " son, when you get married, you wait 2 years before any major decisions i.e. house buying, car buying, merging accounts, starting a family"

Please keep in mind that some dates are only known after receipt of another document.
For example, the USPS Form 3811. The stamped receiving date was not know until the original Form 3811 was received on 07/13/2013 1:30 p/m CST.

07/05/2013 3:07 p/m CST I-129F pouch tendered to United States Postal Service in Houston, TX
07/09/2013 UNKNWN USPS Form 3811 / Signiture Receipt Card / Stamped and Received at USCIS Dallas Lockbox *
07/09/2013 UNKNWN USCIS / WEB SITE / receives petition and mails notice
07/12/2013 UNKNWN I-129F Check Presented to bank for payment
07/12/2013 2:51 p/m CST Text Message Received / G-1145 / I-129F Form / VSC - Documents sent to VSC
07/12/2013 2:51 p/m CST Email Received Received / G-1145 / I-129F Form / VSC - Documents sent to VSC
07/12/2013 UNKNWN I-129F Check coverted to ACH Payment to USCIS DALLAS PAYMENT
07/13/2013 1:30 p/m CST USPS Form 3811 / Signiture Receipt (GREEN) Card received from USCIS Dallas Lockbox *
07/13/2013 4:24 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Set up user account to track case status / https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/logon.do
07/15/2013 4:24 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Indicates "ACCEPTANCE"
07/16/2013 7:30 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Log in to check site / Indicates "INITIAL REVIEW"
07/17/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOA1) / Received in mail today. (Notice Date : 07/11/2013, VSC) (Stamp date on envelope : 07/15/13)

* Advising case has been opened.
07/18/2013 8:31 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Advising Alien Registration Number has been changed
07/18/2013 8:35 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

07/18/2013 8:31 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Advising Alien Registration Number has been changed
07/18/2013 8:35 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 6:45 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 6:47 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 7:00 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/09/2013 6:30 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Case has been transfered from VSC

08/09/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOAT) / Rcv'd in mail (Notice Date : 08/06/2013, VSC) (Stamp date on envelope : 08/07/2013)**

** Advising that the case has been transfered from VSC to TSC

08/09/2013 7:30 p/m CST USCIS / WEB STIE / Logged in to check site / Indicatted "INITIAL REVIEW

08/26/2013 8:45 p/m CST Email Recieved / USCIS / On 08/26/13, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E).

08/26/2013 8:47 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/26/2013 8:48 p/m CST USCIS / WEB STIE / Logged in to check site / Indicatted "POST DECISION ACTIVITY"

08/27/2013 7:15 a/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/27/2013 7:15 a/m CST Email Received / USCIS / On August 27, 2013, we shipped this approved or re-affirmed case to the Department of State for visa processing.

08/29/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOA2) / Rcv'd in mail. (Notice Date : 08/26/2013) (Stamp date on env. : 08/27/18) / Advising i-129F has been APPROVED.

09/05/2013 UNKNWN Phone Call to NVC / Petition received and MNL Number issued

09/06/2013 15:58 EST Documents shipped out via DHL AWB 8774193982 ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/302190-dhl-tracking-from-nvc-to-us-embassy/ ) EXCELLANT

09/09/2013 10:45 MNL Documents rcvd at Embassy signed for L Bernardion

Summary : Date mailed : 07/05; Docs rcv'd USCIS : 07/09; NOA1 issued : 07/11; NOA2 issued : 08/26, NOA2 rcv'd in mail : 08/29; NVC Rcv'd : 09/05/; MNL Emby rcv'd docs : 09/09

Total Number of Days : 67 days (Mailing date of I-129F at U.S. Post Office to Receipt of documents in Manila Embassy)

Projected Dates (Not Actual Dates) : Based on research on VJ Website, other members statements, and documents going to VSC Service Center
07/18/13 : Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between December 11, 2013 and December 24, 2013

As others have stated, do a wire transfer. Do not carry that type of moeny with you.

Before you leave, go to the branch where you opened your account. Get to know the manager. Advise him you will be moving to the United States and will be opening a U.S. account upon your arrival here.

During the conversation, ask him / her what forms are required to initiate an international wire transfer. BE SURE to ask him / her if you can email or fax the forms to him / her. If he / she will not allow you to email or fax the forms, you may have to disgnate a power of attny for a freind / relative.

If you decide to travel with it, DO NOT even think about NOT declaring it. That is a serious NO NO.

If you carry it with you and DO NOT declare AND U.S. Customs discovers the funds. They ( U.S. Customs ) will seize all your funds. Then you will have to go through a process to get the funds back. This process takes about a year to complete.

Good luck.

US Customs will not seize your funds.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Good luck.

Small word of advise, when you get to the U.S., set your bank account up where ONLY YOU have access to it and NOBODY else.

I know we would all LOVE to think that everything will go okay on our new path in life, but things happen. Read some of the stories here on VJ.

If after 1 year and everything is going good, then start to merge your accounts. The last thing you want to find out is all your funds have been depleted without your knowledge.

Now before anyone comes on here and starts to blast me for that last statement, that is advise from my late grandmother. She always told me " son, when you get married, you wait 2 years before any major decisions i.e. house buying, car buying, merging accounts, starting a family"

Thank you for the advice, I never even thought about that.. I was even thinking to put my money on a savings acct with atm, so i could withdraw the pesos in dollars in the US.. but I'm not sure about the rates.. But going to the bank and speaking to the manager is a better option..

I was laughing reading the last part.. but thank you for that.. my mom always told me that I should always have my own money and not tell my husband about it.. LOL.. i always thought that was funny.. My fiance and I are very close and I kind of already have money mixed in with his about the same money I am bringing,

amount of debt from his friends who are over there in the US who have borrowed pesos when they were here and they paid him in dollars.. so i guess it's a little too late for that.. but he told me he is never touching my money.. it's ok though.. money is the last thing we should argue about..

Timeline

When my wife and I were going through this, it has been some time ago, the name AmeriBank.,..,. keeps floating around in my mind, as there are not very many banks I would trust with 10K, between countries.,.,., but I agree, do not carry more than 10K with you.,.,.set up your bank account between countries before you leave, and make sure it is a bank that is affiliated with the Philippines!

I just asked my wife from Cebu, she says there is CitiBank there..,.,. and all over the US!

Hi again guys,

i'm glad you opened this up.. because i'm thinking about it too.. i'm planning to carry more than $10,000 when i go there but then "as what i knew" more than 10,000 will be taxed so i decided to just carry 9,000 and have my mom and dad carry the exceeding amount when they follow to the US to attend to our wedding.

AOS TIMELINE

07-14-14: Mailed AOS packet via USPS express mail

07-15-14: AOS packet delivered

07-17-14: Got email notification from USCIS

07-21-14: received 3 NOA1 (AOS, EAD, AP) from the mail

07-28-14: received biometrics appointment letter (schedule on 08-11)

08-11-14: biometrics done

08-19-14: status is on "Testing and Interview"

09-11-14: EAD/AP approved

09-19-14: EAD/AP combo card received

10-06-14: case status update - interview scheduled on 11-06-14

10-08-14: received interview notice in the mail

11-06-14: Interview (Approved)

11-06-14: case status update "Card/Document Production"

11-07-14: case status update "Welcome Notice was Mailed"

11-13-14: case status update "Card was mailed to Me"

11-15-14: received GC and Welcome letter

ROC TIMELINE:

09-07-16: mailed I-751 packet

09-09-16: ROC packet delivered

09-14-16: check cashed

09-16-16: NOA received

09-26-16: Biometrics appointment received

10-12-16: Biometrics done

Timeline
i'm glad you opened this up.. because i'm thinking about it too.. i'm planning to carry more than $10,000 when i go there but then "as what i knew" more than 10,000 will be taxed so i decided to just carry 9,000 and have my mom and dad carry the exceeding amount when they follow to the US to attend to our wedding.

hi! thanks!! yeah i thought about that too.. but my mom will surely bring money because going there she will buy a lot of stuff

she likes to shop.. and my dad won't be coming to the wedding, he doesn't want to travel far..

i think ill try the citibank option if my bank won't issue me like a check that I can bring or whichever is more convenient..

WebRep
currentVote
noRating
noWeight

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.