Jeanna

Getting frustrated with differences between embassies

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Salaam and peace, ya'll. I'm getting annoyed with the differences between embassies. Some K-1 visa holders can go the next day and pick their visa up at the embassy and others (like my fiance in Kingston, Jamaica) have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it delivered via DHL. There is no other option.

Is there something I'm missing here? I don't understand why the services offered aren't equal between embassies. They are all US government installations and USER funded entities so it's not like it's dependent upon the host country to determine the level of service.

I'm so happy we are approved but lack of info from Kingston coupled with their history of lagging behind makes me very uneasy. I just want an assurance from them that they are indeed processing it and not on "island" time, either.

It's been 5 business days and there have been no updates on my fiance's status. Nothing entered since Nov. 7th even though he dropped off his passport Nov. 12th. Just want to know they are doing SOMETHING.

"Verily, after hardship there is ease" Holy Qur'an 94:6

http://www.anaashad.blogspot.com

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I understand your frustration. I submitted requested documents on Oct. 8 and my status was updated on Oct. 15 showing AP. it was again updated on Nov. 14 showing READY and on Nov. 15 the visa was issued.

I am of the opinion that they sometimes work on the cases but the status is not being updated. I could be wrong.

Base on my experience and also that of my relatives, it can take anymore from a month or more for the visa to be issued after submitted the requested documents.

Once the visa is issued, it is available for pick up at DHL within 3 working days.

as far as I know, they do 1 more background check on beneficiaries before they issue visas so maybe that's a reason why it takes a little longer for us since we are listed as high fraud countries and they are being thorough. in my country, it takes about 2 weeks to get the visa after the interview, same as yours.

Edited by iammrsregi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

My fiancé had his interview at the embassy in Barbados. It was Nov 12th. He had to return the passport, which he did on the 13th. Status has been on ready since Aug 29th. They say he will receive the visa within 7 days....... Let's see........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

All embassies are US, but not all countries are created equal.

Some are high fraud and require more checks and AP. Some have different sufficient delivery options available. Some are just backlogged with approved visas and take longer to get to.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Timeline

Thanks so much to all of you who responded! After two years, a few weeks isn't unbearable but it's the NOT knowing or understanding the reasoning behind things which gets frustrating.

We have a saying in the southern US, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch". It definitely applies to this journey!!

Thanks again for the input, it has put my mind at ease. :)

Filed: Timeline

as far as I know, they do 1 more background check on beneficiaries before they issue visas so maybe that's a reason why it takes a little longer for us since we are listed as high fraud countries and they are being thorough. in my country, it takes about 2 weeks to get the visa after the interview, same as yours.

Jamaica is not listed as a high fraud country,

they are known to upgrade their wages and bank

balances when applying for tourists visas (some)...but

HIGH fraud no....The visas R not printed in Jamaica

and like every country , they do a quick last minute AP

check to see if you been keeping your nose clean.

They advise it can take days to 10 wks

Timeline

Thanks Jawaree! I'm glad we didn't go ahead and buy tickets, make plans, etc. assuming a quick turn around. We just don't have the money to waste. :)

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi, 3 weeks is not bad, at the American embassy in Cairo, it can take many months, by the way, anybody out there who can provide any additional infor as to how long it is tking to get an immigration visa for my husband from the embassy in cairo, please drop me a message, I am trying to learn allI can so we are not in total darkness with this process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My $.02, and I know they would consider it not even worth that, is that they should not have the interview at all until they have done all the AP they need, and then they should stamp the passport with the visa at the interview (if approved), so there is no more of this AP limbo #######, making you a courier for your immigration file, and the rest of the nonsense which flows from their not issuing the visa that day.

Edited by Sharkano

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Salaam and peace, ya'll. I'm getting annoyed with the differences between embassies. Some K-1 visa holders can go the next day and pick their visa up at the embassy and others (like my fiance in Kingston, Jamaica) have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it delivered via DHL. There is no other option.

Is there something I'm missing here? I don't understand why the services offered aren't equal between embassies. They are all US government installations and USER funded entities so it's not like it's dependent upon the host country to determine the level of service.

I'm so happy we are approved but lack of info from Kingston coupled with their history of lagging behind makes me very uneasy. I just want an assurance from them that they are indeed processing it and not on "island" time, either.

It's been 5 business days and there have been no updates on my fiance's status. Nothing entered since Nov. 7th even though he dropped off his passport Nov. 12th. Just want to know they are doing SOMETHING.

I think alot has to do with how busy a embassy is.

Like Italy is same day you get Visa its done right there at the window, But remember they are ESTA or VWP (I don't know which sorry) so no Visa processing 100's of millions of folk a day. So less busy.

My Nigeria is 5 business days which isn'goofy.gif t bad. Ghana use to be like 6 to 8 weeks but they are like a week now. But hey you got approved. Happy dance. Congratulations., You have to take the bitter with the sweet.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Yeah you would think if they are all US Embassies they would all have the same procedures.....but then again that would make too much sense! Our took 12 working days to be delivered 1/4 mile away from the embassy in Philippines. Don't make sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.