corvusheart

Immigration Lawyer speeds up Process

59 posts in this topic

Don't know why so many people automatically put down the use of a lawyer. You should always check the work thats being done, whether it's you doing it, or a lawyer. I don't deal with these documents every day, and I also don't speak/translate Ukrainian. So hiring a firm that could speak my fiancées native language, has been invaluable.

Make your own choice, based on your needs/comfort level.

Edited by BuvRahl

Filed: Timeline

Don't know why so many people automatically put down the use of a lawyer. You should always check the work thats being done, whether it's you doing it, or a lawyer. I don't deal with these documents every day, and I also don't speak/translate Ukrainian. So hiring a firm that could speak my fiancées native language, has been invaluable.

Make your own choice, based on your needs/comfort level.

Perhaps because this is primarily a DIY site.

If there's no overstays, criminal past or misrepresentation prior

to obtain a visa an atty will slow down a straight-forward process,

if u have the money and want to hire an atty to fill out forms for U

then hire them....1st lie is 6-8 mths , not so processing could be

a little longer....read the forms , keep copies of everything U send

in a remember to follow all instruction on forms and send in correct

fees.also be sure everything has signatures where its required

The lawyers just want to take your money....I paid 2500 for my attorney..they promised me this process would take maximum of 120 days...boy did they lie just to collect the money...after months of being stuck at NBC with only a noa1...i called the congressman....after 8 months...the congressman got our case expedited, and will now expedite it all the way to the embassy....save your money and do it yourself...everyone here can walk you through the forms if you need help...don't make the same mistake i did...Good luck to you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

It is true, that many times using a lawyer slows down the process... However, not reading or understanding what is being asked or filling out documents wrong slows down the process even more... For some personal situations a competent lawyer is prudent and gives the extra piece of mind that helps people. Generally however, barring any strange circumstances, it is much better to handle things yourselves. But the process is not faster using a lawyer, that is for sure (I don't care what they tell you... )

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

... And information gathering, and support. Just because some people feel comfortable doing it on their own, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with using a lawyer.

Yes and this is why no one has said it's wrong to get a Lawyer.

What people are saying, unanimously, is for sure get a lawyer if you have extenuating circumstances. Otherwise that information and support that you hinted at is available on here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It is not worth it.....I regret getting one...so you can do your self..waste of money that is all I can say. If you need help with the praperation, you can Google visa services in your location which is way cheaper than lawyers. Good luck

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi everyone, we just got thru the whole K-1 process but without a lawyer,took us around 11 months because we had to send more stuff for proof of our relationships. Though here in the USA already we got to know an immigration lawyer by chance and now he's helping us with a Green card process. He chargers not a lot at all compare to other lawyers, 600$ for the whole K-1 process. cwmlegal.com ( Maroulis James)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I paid a lawyer...

They were a shower of shites.

Once the process is over we will chase them for a refund..

They have messed up everytime, I've constantly had to badger them, tell them when they screwed up..

Every step has been an error. In the first meeting he said I could not visit the US during the process, could and did, we had an RFE for a simple letter of intent missed, we didn't submit citizenship proof of the co-sponsor, they wanted to send all the docs that should go to the embassy to the NVC.. they filled out DS230 instead of DS160...

The whole process has been a disgrace. We did this so my fiancé could just focus on medschool and I could just work as I'm constantly shifting around /moving houses so just removed the stress by appointing a lawyer.

I'd not touch a lawyer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I don't think you can generalise when it comes to lawyers. As everyone said it depends on your personal case, your need for a second pair of eyes to (hopefully) correct any mistakes, your financial situation (it is not cheap indeed).

In my case we hired an immigration lawyer that was supposedly one of the best in Utah; she mainly deals with hard deportation cases so our fiancé visa was probably not her priority and I got frustrated with her at times.

In our case my fiancé is 25y older than me and was married 3 times before so this was likely to be a red flag and we actually did get an RFE (still waiting for the letter). At the same time we got the RFE quite quickly (40 days after NOA1) so hopefully once we reply, it should not take too long.

For me she is more an "insurance policy" in case the sh** hits the fan (for whatever reason). I know she is used to difficult cases and the fiancé visa is just the first step, you then have AOS/Green Card application so it reassures me to have someone to rely on or beat up ;-).

This forum is really great with a lot of good advice and very supportive and human members (we are all in the same boat!) but I stilll believe that in some cases you need to know a bit more about how the system works and that's where good lawyers add value.

Also we do receive all the communications from the USCIS in my fiancé's name and address so this is probably something to check with your lawyer beforehand.

Anne

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is entirely possible that a lawyer will speed things up for you. His paper pusher has all day to work on the forms, unlike you with your job during the day, who has to do it at night,.

But it usually does not work that way. Your paperwork is not high priority work for the lawyer, so typically you will get it done faster yourself.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

So my fiancee from England and I went to go pursue a immigration lawyer, he agreed to take us on as clients and we are starting the paperwork for the K-1 fiancee visa. He says the process will take 6-8 months. He's the boss and owner of the Law Firm. Has anyone else gone with a immigration attorney? If so, what was your experiences?

how's the speed thing been, from filing date till now ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I have an attorney but he hasn't had to do much. With that said we got an interview date 3 months from NOA1 which probably had nothing to do with the attorney but we got no RFEs.

Citizenship:

Service Center: Online
CIS Office :         San Diego CA
Date Filed :         2018-07-13
NOA Date :         2018-07-20
Bio. Appt. :         2018-07-31
Interview Date:  2018-04-12

how's the speed thing been, from filing date till now ?

Very positive experience so far. Very helpful, answers questions promptly, after-work hours to phone in case of emergency is available. He's done all the paperwork right. Sent our I-129F via Express. We got our NOA1 in Dec 30th. Waiting on NOA2 now. : )

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.