41 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I think I can help a little, at least with regard to local rules and customs. You do not exactly file your marriage with the government in VN, you must obtain approval. This is why OP was told to wait 21 days - although being VN there are ways to expedite the process. Anyways, from the perspective of the government in VN he is not married.

Someone posted he needed to file the marriage here, meaning the US. This is not true. If he was considered married in VN he would be considered married in the US. I am married to a VN national and do not have to file this in the US. In the event I wish to divorce her (speaking hypothetically) I would have to file for the divorce in California, where I currently live.

What the OP did wasn't that unusual. I know of others who filed for a K-1 visa and had a wedding reception for the benefit of people in VN. In one case the couple did this after their K-1 was approved but before she left for the US. I thought it was very risky but cultural norms are pretty powerful in VN and the reception is a very big deal.

That said it was a mistake to send this with the application. I've heard of COs being sneaky about trying to figure out if K-1 applicants are married instead of engaged. VN is a high-fraud consulate, which makes it tougher. In this case I am afraid the OP did their work for them, albeit unknowingly and innocently.

I will defer to others as to how OP should handle it going forward. Part of me thinks he should wait for the interview and try to explain, although that's not likely to work, IMHO. Perhaps his fiancé could obtain a certificate of single status as a way of trying to demonstrate they were not legally married in VN. I also doubt that would work.

He could withdraw the petition, then get married and file for a CR-1. This may be the only realistic path forward but this will cause a heck of a delay in her arrival. Perhaps a suggestion is to wait the three months for the interview and try to convince the CO (if it comes up) that you only had the reception (at least they should understand how important this is in VN). It probably won't work, but just might.

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Hello all,

I am a new member here and need your advises as to what I should do right now concerning my K1 petition for my fiance (wife?) but first let me tell you all about my story: Got to know Oanh through an online site in July 2012 and starting to "talk" to each other exclusively. After 7 months worth of couple hundred emails and exchanged pictures, I went to Vietnam to meet her. Stayed there for 10 days with her and her family and had to go back to the US to.....work. Purchased a new house on May 2013 and proposed to her and with the blessing of her parents, I went back there in July 2013 to have our wedding reception in front of 700 family members and guests. I did not go to "So Tu Phap" to file the legal marriage certificate with the local government since they required me to stay there 21 days. A visit to a local "Immigration Visa service" center here in San Jose,CA, after listening to what service I was seeking, advised me to file the K1 petition since it is the fastest way for Oanh to be here with me. I did not know this forum then. Here is my problem, I wrote in my timeline that we were married in front of our family and friends and sent it in along with the usual wedding pictures, boarding passes from my trip to Vietnam, receipts from the hotel that did the wedding banquet,ect. My income is around $110k per year so I don;t think it will be a problem. What cvaused me to "freak" out is when I read on this forum of K1 visa being denied due to the fact that we "got" married albeit not obtaining the legal certificate with the Vietnamese authority. Her being the only child in the family and her grandma and parents would like to see us married in front of the relatives and all. Please tell me what to do next since she may be denied a K1 Visa at the interview which should be within three months from now ( The NVC has my petition now for almost a week.)

Please guide me with your experiences ans insights.

Thank you.

The burden of proof would be on you both to proof that you are not legally married but had a religious ceremony instead.

How will you proof this and what evidence will you use to convince the CO ?

Can your beneficiary get a singles certificate, an attestation from the registrar that you are not legally married ?

I strongly suggest you be present at the interview to explain yourself.

You used the word married and that is why things look pretty slim for an approval. Did you not include in your

timeline that you did not register legally ?

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You have made a big mistake, though innocently, I would seek a very good immigration attorney at once,.,., YOU.., need one!

You have created this mess, innocently, but it is what it is! A ""MESS"

Hello all,

I am a new member here and need your advises as to what I should do right now concerning my K1 petition for my fiance (wife?) but first let me tell you all about my story: Got to know Oanh through an online site in July 2012 and starting to "talk" to each other exclusively. After 7 months worth of couple hundred emails and exchanged pictures, I went to Vietnam to meet her. Stayed there for 10 days with her and her family and had to go back to the US to.....work. Purchased a new house on May 2013 and proposed to her and with the blessing of her parents, I went back there in July 2013 to have our wedding reception in front of 700 family members and guests. I did not go to "So Tu Phap" to file the legal marriage certificate with the local government since they required me to stay there 21 days. A visit to a local "Immigration Visa service" center here in San Jose,CA, after listening to what service I was seeking, advised me to file the K1 petition since it is the fastest way for Oanh to be here with me. I did not know this forum then. Here is my problem, I wrote in my timeline that we were married in front of our family and friends and sent it in along with the usual wedding pictures, boarding passes from my trip to Vietnam, receipts from the hotel that did the wedding banquet,ect. My income is around $110k per year so I don;t think it will be a problem. What cvaused me to "freak" out is when I read on this forum of K1 visa being denied due to the fact that we "got" married albeit not obtaining the legal certificate with the Vietnamese authority. Her being the only child in the family and her grandma and parents would like to see us married in front of the relatives and all. Please tell me what to do next since she may be denied a K1 Visa at the interview which should be within three months from now ( The NVC has my petition now for almost a week.)

Please guide me with your experiences ans insights.

Thank you.

.........................and you come in here, a self-help internet forum asking for help?

What's wrong with you?

Talk to an experienced immigration lawyer BEFORE even thinking about filing any immigration paperwork! Preparation is KEY to success in life. You should already know about that.

Mark Ellis is a well known lawyer here specializing in Vietnam-related petitions. TALK to him NOW!

You can afford it. So use your money to buy happiness before it's too late!

Edited by DreamNHope

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If it walks like a duck and looks like a duck it is a duck. You may want to consult an attorney regarding this.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

.........................and you come in here, a self-help internet forum asking for help?

What's wrong with you?

Talk to an experienced immigration lawyer BEFORE even thinking about filing any immigration paperwork! Preparation is KEY to success in life. You should already know about that.

Mark Ellis is a well known lawyer here specializing in Vietnam-related petitions. TALK to him NOW!

lol you're jealous

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We also had a large Vietnamese tea ceremony, (which for everyone not involved in a relationship with a Vietnamese citizen, "is not a legal wedding"). It is done so the family and friends are able to see the Vietnamese bride or groom get married.

Everything you did was pretty much the same as what I did, I did not obtain a marriage certificate with the Vietnamese government, and I also included photo's of the tea ceremony and the receipts from the tea ceremony in the K1 petition. The only difference is when I filled out my timeline I labeled the pictures and receipts "Tea Ceremony", not wedding. The US Embassy in Vietnam knows that this is the typical way that a Fiance of a foreign citizen does this, so that the family and friends are able to attend the wedding, since 500 Vietnamese citizens are not going to be able to get a visa to attend the actual wedding ceremony in the United States. It's all for show, not legal.

About a month before my Fiance received her packet 3 she went to the police station to get the certificate of never being married, along with her police background paperwork. Because your Fiance will also need to do this, she should be fine with having that certificate proving that she is not married when she goes to her interview.

I had made a mistake with my Fiances middle name because she has two middle names and I had gotten it backwards on the papers I sent to the USCIS, and once the embassy received our case my Fiance was able to contact them to have them correct it. So if you are concerned about what you have in your packet, you can always contact the embassy to have them adjust it. Or you could also contact an attorney to see what they think.

My advice is strictly just telling you how it went for me, and hopefully helping you rest a little easier. If you need any help preparing for the actual interview let me know and I could help you out.

Our Story
[February 23rd 2011] Met online
[March 2012 - June 2012] made travel plans, bought plane ticket, planned Vietnamese tea ceremony, bought engagement ring / wedding rings
[July 16th 2012] Met each other for the first time in person in Vietnam
[July 29th 2012] Had non-legal Vietnamese Tea Ceremony in her hometown
[August 16th, 2012] Left Vietnam to come back to the US
[August 20th - September 2nd] Prepared 1-129F packet to send to USCIS

K1 Journey
[september 4th 2012] I-129F packet sent
[september 9th, 2012] received text message from USCIS, stating that I-129F was accepted on Sept 7th
[september 11th,2012] received hard copy of the NOA1 in the mail
[April 17th, 2013] received text message on cell phone of NOA2
[April 22nd, 2013] received hard copy of the NOA2 paper in the mail
[April 24th, 2013] NVC sent packet to Ho Chi Minh City - US Embassy
[May 13th, 2013] Fiance received packet 3 from US Embassy in the mail
[May 20th, 2013] Fiance mailed completed packet 3 back to US Embassy
[July 9th, 2013] Fiance received packet 4 from US Embassy in the mail
[August 16th, 2013] Interview date, Approved!!!!

[sept 11th, 2013] My Fiance left Vietnam
[sept 12th, 2013] My Fiance arrived in Chicago and I was anxiously waiting at the gate for her.
[sept 25th, 2013] We got married

AOS journey starts
[Nov 14th, 2013] sent the AOS packet [i-485, I-765, I-131]
[Nov 16th, 2013] package was delivered
[Nov 22nd, 2013] received NOA1 via text message
[Nov 25th, 2013] check cleared my bank
[Nov 28th, 2013] received hard copy of NOA1 in the mail
[Dec 5th, 2013] received Biometrics appointment letter
[Dec 18th, 2013] Biometrics appointment
[Jan 17th, 2014] EAD/AP - card in the mail
[March 3rd, 2014] received I-797 in the mail, stating that my wife's AOS was approved, and to expect her green card in 3 weeks
[March 7th, 2014] received green card in the mail - we did not have an AOS interview

Having a Baby!!!
[October 28th, 2014] Pregnancy test is positive
[July 6th, 2015] our son is born

Removal of Conditions journey starts
[Dec 8th, 2015] sent the ROC packet I-751
[Dec 10th, 2015] NOA1
{Dec.14th,2015} Checked cleared my bank
[Jan 5th, 2016] Biometrics appointment
[June 1st, 2016] Notified that new card in production
[June 8th, 2016] Notified that card has been mailed
[June 10th, 2016] Received 10 year green card in the mail

US Naturalization (N-400) journey starts
[Feb. 10th, 2017] sent the US Naturalization paperwork - N-400
[Feb         , 2017] NOA1
[Feb.        , 2017] Check cleared my bank
[March      ,2017] Biometrics appointment

We also had a large Vietnamese tea ceremony, (which for everyone not involved in a relationship with a Vietnamese citizen, "is not a legal wedding"). It is done so the family and friends are able to see the Vietnamese bride or groom get married.

Everything you did was pretty much the same as what I did, I did not obtain a marriage certificate with the Vietnamese government, and I also included photo's of the tea ceremony and the receipts from the tea ceremony in the K1 petition. The only difference is when I filled out my timeline I labeled the pictures and receipts "Tea Ceremony", not wedding. The US Embassy in Vietnam knows that this is the typical way that a Fiance of a foreign citizen does this, so that the family and friends are able to attend the wedding, since 500 Vietnamese citizens are not going to be able to get a visa to attend the actual wedding ceremony in the United States. It's all for show, not legal.

About a month before my Fiance received her packet 3 she went to the police station to get the certificate of never being married, along with her police background paperwork. Because your Fiance will also need to do this, she should be fine with having that certificate proving that she is not married when she goes to her interview.

I had made a mistake with my Fiances middle name because she has two middle names and I had gotten it backwards on the papers I sent to the USCIS, and once the embassy received our case my Fiance was able to contact them to have them correct it. So if you are concerned about what you have in your packet, you can always contact the embassy to have them adjust it. Or you could also contact an attorney to see what they think.

My advice is strictly just telling you how it went for me, and hopefully helping you rest a little easier. If you need any help preparing for the actual interview let me know and I could help you out.

My fiance and I did the same type of thing. We called it an engagement party, and it was a chance for her side of the family and friends to celebrate her moving here and getting married. I also think any pictures or evidence of this type of celebration is outstanding evidence of a genuine engagement. The mistake that the OP made however is calling it a marriage ceremony and wedding when including it as evidence. This discrepancy will need to get cleared up for the consul's satisfaction.

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

What's wrong with you?

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Don't DONT call Marc Ellis. I fell for than when I was doing my K1 4 years ago. My husband was in morocco and he told me to file for my husband out of some island in the Mediterranean off of Turkey so we could do our interview there bc he thought he would have a better chance there. At that time my husband could not even leaveee Morocco. He also told me our chances were slim. Ended up doing the paper my self we we didn't have a problem at all. Marc Ellis doesn't know what he's talking about. Dont even think about him. Just finish what you started and see where it goes and plan on being there at the interview.

What's wrong with you?

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

OP, at this point I don't think you need a lawyer. Most people here did this all by themselves.

I would, if I were you, withdraw the app and re-file for a CR1. You can wait for the interview and try to explain it, but I don't recommend that since;
a. consular officers usually have already decided before the interview

b. a more suspicious consular officer might think you're doing something fishy, slap you with misrepresentation or AP or something.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

OP, at this point I don't think you need a lawyer. Most people here did this all by themselves.

I would, if I were you, withdraw the app and re-file for a CR1. You can wait for the interview and try to explain it, but I don't recommend that since;

a. consular officers usually have already decided before the interview

b. a more suspicious consular officer might think you're doing something fishy, slap you with misrepresentation or AP or something.

Let me ask you something Amy,

How can the OP file for the CR1 when he isn't even married to his Fiance?

Are you advising the OP (which is not legally married to his Fiance at this time) to withdraw his current K1 petition, fly back to Vietnam, legally marry his Fiance, and wait in Vietnam at least 3 to 4 weeks for the Vietnamese government to issue them a legal wedding certificate, (which I can tell you first hand anything dealing with the Vietnamese police station you have to pretty much pay them a bribe to get it done quickly, otherwise he might be waiting two months for the marriage certificate to be issued). Then after he is legally married to his Fiance he would fly back home and file for the CR1 and start this whole process all over again?

Our Story
[February 23rd 2011] Met online
[March 2012 - June 2012] made travel plans, bought plane ticket, planned Vietnamese tea ceremony, bought engagement ring / wedding rings
[July 16th 2012] Met each other for the first time in person in Vietnam
[July 29th 2012] Had non-legal Vietnamese Tea Ceremony in her hometown
[August 16th, 2012] Left Vietnam to come back to the US
[August 20th - September 2nd] Prepared 1-129F packet to send to USCIS

K1 Journey
[september 4th 2012] I-129F packet sent
[september 9th, 2012] received text message from USCIS, stating that I-129F was accepted on Sept 7th
[september 11th,2012] received hard copy of the NOA1 in the mail
[April 17th, 2013] received text message on cell phone of NOA2
[April 22nd, 2013] received hard copy of the NOA2 paper in the mail
[April 24th, 2013] NVC sent packet to Ho Chi Minh City - US Embassy
[May 13th, 2013] Fiance received packet 3 from US Embassy in the mail
[May 20th, 2013] Fiance mailed completed packet 3 back to US Embassy
[July 9th, 2013] Fiance received packet 4 from US Embassy in the mail
[August 16th, 2013] Interview date, Approved!!!!

[sept 11th, 2013] My Fiance left Vietnam
[sept 12th, 2013] My Fiance arrived in Chicago and I was anxiously waiting at the gate for her.
[sept 25th, 2013] We got married

AOS journey starts
[Nov 14th, 2013] sent the AOS packet [i-485, I-765, I-131]
[Nov 16th, 2013] package was delivered
[Nov 22nd, 2013] received NOA1 via text message
[Nov 25th, 2013] check cleared my bank
[Nov 28th, 2013] received hard copy of NOA1 in the mail
[Dec 5th, 2013] received Biometrics appointment letter
[Dec 18th, 2013] Biometrics appointment
[Jan 17th, 2014] EAD/AP - card in the mail
[March 3rd, 2014] received I-797 in the mail, stating that my wife's AOS was approved, and to expect her green card in 3 weeks
[March 7th, 2014] received green card in the mail - we did not have an AOS interview

Having a Baby!!!
[October 28th, 2014] Pregnancy test is positive
[July 6th, 2015] our son is born

Removal of Conditions journey starts
[Dec 8th, 2015] sent the ROC packet I-751
[Dec 10th, 2015] NOA1
{Dec.14th,2015} Checked cleared my bank
[Jan 5th, 2016] Biometrics appointment
[June 1st, 2016] Notified that new card in production
[June 8th, 2016] Notified that card has been mailed
[June 10th, 2016] Received 10 year green card in the mail

US Naturalization (N-400) journey starts
[Feb. 10th, 2017] sent the US Naturalization paperwork - N-400
[Feb         , 2017] NOA1
[Feb.        , 2017] Check cleared my bank
[March      ,2017] Biometrics appointment

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I think that's the safest approach, yes. I can't think of another scenario that doesn't sound fishy as heck.

If he explains it to a CO, he might get a pissed off/suspicious one and get denied or worse.

Edited by AmyWrites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.