78 posts in this topic

I could hear her talking and laughing with the parents that she had before us, but the moment we got in; her ton completely changed and she started entering data and asking questions like if we were at the police station ( First red flag but I thought Okay, maybe she just got tired or didn't like us)

Or maybe she knew the other parents or the other parents were just extremely outgoing and sociable and when you came in she felt the tension and maybe you were being defensive and she felt as uneasy as you did? We'll never know but it is your choice how it makes you feel every time people are either indifferent or even rude towards you.

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

It is not. I clearly said that. Read it again. I said if that is his attitude, THEN, I behave the same.

And how do you know his attitude wasn't a direct result of your "better than thou" mindset? You have absolutely no idea as you can't read his mind and you are perpetuating a culture in which people don't treat each other as equals. A better response mentally might be "gosh maybe he's having a bad day" (you could heavens forbid smile at him) or "maybe he's just a jerk, but I'm going to kill him with kindness".

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Racism has many different forms. And it goes around and vice versa through many ethnic groups, religions or social backgrounds. There are forms of it (open, aggressive or even violent in any way) that must be fought by ALL means. Other forms, like you might have experienced are not even worth worrying about. Oh and one more thing for you to reflect about: you sounded like she was a so called WCEA (white christian English speaking American). Just to let you know, they are becoming the OFFICIAL minority against all other ethnic groups in America. No wonder they get "uncomfortable" right? (hope you get the sarcasm). So just enjoy your family and the many POSITIVE things you have experienced so far. Wish you and your family all the best.

Don't let people make you feel like it is your fault.

If someone is racist towards you it is not your fault, no more than it is not the abused fault but the abuser's fault.

This story is a stretch to racism -- but in defense, I notice it is getting more divided and vocalized in the last 5 years.

journey.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would say that while nobody has actually said anything to my husband or myself that seemed to be racist, we sure do get our share of double takes and what appear to be whispering comments between people. I explained to my husband before he came here that where I live, there are not more than maybe 20 families of a different ethnicity than white and i don't believe any Muslim families and that people might notice him quite a bit and he has never let it bother him. He does say that the hospitality in the US is #######, which compared to Morocco, I cant disagree. (no offense to hospitable people plz). I think if you teach your children to treat others how they want to be treated, they will do well. A lot of the times saying something is a lot more simple than when its physically happening so I can see how emotions can run high when someone you feel is making rude/inappropriate comments towards you or your family.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

And how do you know his attitude wasn't a direct result of your "better than thou" mindset? You have absolutely no idea as you can't read his mind and you are perpetuating a culture in which people don't treat each other as equals. A better response mentally might be "gosh maybe he's having a bad day" (you could heavens forbid smile at him) or "maybe he's just a jerk, but I'm going to kill him with kindness".

I have done what you said for the last 10 years I have been here. This is just one instance among the many I am facing these days. I have been the nice guy being nice in the face of arrogance and prejudice. But there is a limit, so I started pushing back.

Filed: Other Timeline

OLKLAHOMA (am not surprise)

While everyone is racist in one way or another

some wont admit while others keep it under wraps

its a reality of the world. I think she was somewhat

rude and U have to stop sweating the small stuff &

get your dear little ones ready roe this worl.

I would have said upon leaving with a smile thank U,uh

being a nurse have your ever thought of walking to

lower your BMI ....smiling. I am an advocate on weight

management,...ok bye ...very sweetly

Am surprised the powers that be have not LOCKED this thread yet

due to one not very nice comment.

Edited by Jihana

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good Ole Oklahoma. I am from a small town in Oklahoma. Sure I admit Oklahomans can sure say different things to point out stuff, like a child's hair. I have 3 bi racial children and my daughters hair was always a mess lol. Then again I lived in Oklahoma when biracial relationships were often frowned upon. Although I am not saying racism is gone in Oklahoma but it is way better then before. Just relax I am more then certain all is well and she was only trying to find a way to start up a friendly conversation in her own little way. After all I believe people in Oklahoma are very kind.

Edited by LovingAdiguns

Mr. & Mrs. Adigun

I have done what you said for the last 10 years I have been here. This is just one instance among the many I am facing these days. I have been the nice guy being nice in the face of arrogance and prejudice. But there is a limit, so I started pushing back.

Again, here is how people try to make you feel bad when you are a victim. It isn't your fault for being a victim. You will get lots of people who will defend other people's racism.

Ignore them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post removed for TOS Violation, administration action taken.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Again, here is how people try to make you feel bad when you are a victim. It isn't your fault for being a victim. You will get lots of people who will defend other people's racism.

Ignore them.

He's a victim because a gate agent wasn't cheery to him?

Really?

Next time someone is rude to me in store I'm going to chock it up to being Northern European in origin, yah know because we are a minority around here.

There is real racism and pretending that a maybe not so friendly gate agent is an example of it demeans people who really are victims.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.