Saylin

NVC Filers - November 2013

879 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I need three suggestions on filing I864. The scenario is that my wife was a student for the last three years and had no income and so she was not required to file in tax returns. I am submitting a letter stating this and therefore reason why she was not required to file in tax information. We also have a joint sponsor who is well qualified and will file a separate I864.

Keeping this in mind how should we fill in these two questions:

Q1. Part 6 question 4 - I have checked the box "Unemployed since" but what should we put in the date to be comfortable - she has never worked before ( i am thinking to enter 01 Jan 2010 to cover three years) but she has been permanent resident of US since (01 Dec 2010).

Q2. Part 6 question 13 - Federal Tax return information - I have left this box unchecked since she has never filed tax return. But could this result in a checklist that we forgot to include vital information? Your thoughts?

Q3. Part 8 - Where it says "Print Sponsor's Name" - Can we type it in or we have to write it with ink or ball pen with hand? (Sorry for being so ####### but i want to avoid checklist)

1) put down the date of her last employment, whatever it is. If she's never been employed then write her birth date IMO. Maybe someone has a better idea.

2) not sure

3) if you can type it on the pdf, then that's fine. The only thing it won't let you type on the pdf is words where numbers could be (like the word Present instead of a date.)

ps remember to put n/a or none where applicable, do not leave any lines blank.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

ps remember to put n/a or none where applicable, do not leave any lines blank.

I think I am confused about putting N/A.

For i-864 Part 3 (I am sponsoring only my wife) so I check part 3.1 and then I thought Family 1 to 5 (Part 3.2 to Part 3.6) should be left blank. Should we put N/A in the field the asks for family member 1 through 5 and all info for each family member? Also part 6, I am using only my income, so Person 1 through Person 4 are all empty. Should we put not applicable there?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Saylin,

My mom is from the Philippines is she eligible to use the electronic forms- DS 260 and DS 261?

Thanks

5-20-2013 USC

I-130 Petition for my Mom

5-20-2013 filled I-130

5-21-2013 USCIS received the packet/Priority Date

5-22-2013 NOA1

10-28-2013 Expedite Request Submitted with the help of a Senator

11-13-2013 Additional document submitted for expedite process

11-21-13 NOA2

11-25-13 NOA2 hardcopy received

12-19-13 Expedite request approved (forwarded 24 hrs from NVC to consulate) received case number and IIN

12-24-13 Ready for interview schedule

12-26-13 Set the interview schedule

**** She could have the interview as early as Jan 7th but decided not on the rush for medical and for me to have time to forward all the document in the Philippines since I didn't pay or submit anything at NVC

1-8-9-14 Medical

1-27-14 Interview (submitted AOS & Civil documents, paid Visa Fee)

1-30-14 Visa Received

1-31-14 Immigration Fee $165 paid

**** We need my mom urgently but due of the cold weather in Minnesota, we decided to wait for warmer weather. She could be here as early as Feb....

2-3-14 Booked ticket for March due of cold weather

3-21-14 CFO seminar

3-31-14 POE

4-7-14 received SSN #

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

Hi Saylin,

My mom is from the Philippines is she eligible to use the electronic forms- DS 260 and DS 261?

Thanks

The electronic forms are required by everyone now. So yes she should fill them out.

*USCIS:

01-11-13: I-130 sent

01-15-13: I-130 accepted/ receipt # assigned

01-22-13: NOA1 hard copy

05-20-13: I-130 interview assigned

07-18-13: I-130 interview

07-22-13: I-130 approved

07-27-13: NOA2 hard copy

*NVC:

07-30-13: NVC receives case / Case # assigned

08-04-13: DS-261 submitted

08-05-13: AOS fee invoiced / paid

08-26-13: IV fee invoiced /paid

09-05-13: DS-260 completed / IV Package emailed

09-09-13: AOS Package emailed

09-16-13 IV package received email generated

09-17-13 AOS package received email generated

09-30-13: AOS checklist email/ AOS checklist response email sent

10-04-13: NVC receives AOS checklist email

10-24-13: AOS checklist #2 email/ AOS checklist #2 response email sent

11-01-13 NVC receives AOS checklist email

11-29-13: Case Complete

12-06-13: Case Complete email

For i-864 Part 3 (I am sponsoring only my wife) so I check part 3.1 and then I thought Family 1 to 5 (Part 3.2 to Part 3.6) should be left blank. Should we put N/A in the field the asks for family member 1 through 5 and all info for each family member? Also part 6, I am using only my income, so Person 1 through Person 4 are all empty. Should we put not applicable there?

do you have a joint sponsor? are you sponsoring off income alone? is there only one beneficiary?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Question about I864-EZ leaving blank or N/As... for my understanding anything that is not for me i would leave blank but since i read about getting checklists for any blank fields i want to make sure i am not leaving anything blank. so most of the questions i have are about empty fields.

14. Citizenship /Residency

i am a US citizen
i am a lawfull perminent resident. my alien registeration number is A- ___

i checked usc obviously but for A number for the second one should i write N/A? even when i check USC?

same thing for part 5. sponsor's income and employment

i entered information in section a. Empolyed as an ____

for b. retired since___ and name of former employer___ should i put N/A or leave it blank?

for number 19. federal income tax information.

i checked both option... for tax year 2010 (3rd most recent) I was listed dependent in my dad's tax return so I wrote 0.00 in total income. is that ok?

for preparer information section should i put N/A N/A in all fields? or leave it blank?

USCIS: [CR1]
02/16/2013 - I-130 Sent

02/20/2013 - NOA1

11/04/2013 - NOA2

NVC:

11/25/2013 - Received at NVC

12/13/2013 - Received Case number

12/17/2013 - DS-261 Available & completed

12/18/2013 - Received email to pay AOS Fee (login error)
12/19/2013 - AOS invoice available & paid
12/23/2013 - AOS Fee 'Payment Status' changed to 'PAID'

12/23/2013 - AOS packet Sent (delivered on 12/26/13)

12/27/2013 - AOS packet in system

12/24/2013 - Received email to pay IV fee & paid IV fee
12/27/2013 - IV processing Fee 'Payment Status' changed to 'PAID'

12/27/2013 - DS-230 Form available.
01/04/2014 - DS-230 Completed

01/11/2014 - IV packet Sent (delivered: 1/13/2014)

01/14/2014 - IV packet in System

01/22/2014 - AOS Accepted

01/23/2014 - False Checklist for IV Docs Received

02/03/2014 - NVC reviewed all docs.

02/06/2014 - Supervisor Final review

02/07/2014 - Case Complete (Call to NVC)

03/24/2014 - Interview (approved)
05/17/2014 - POE

ROC:

03/15/2016 - i751 mailed

03/18/2016 - delivered

03/XX/2016 - check cashed

03/XX/2016 - NOA1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

do you have a joint sponsor? are you sponsoring off income alone? is there only one beneficiary?

I have a joint sponsor, but that doesn't affect my questions. My income in sufficient but i am still adding a joint sponsor. there is only one beneficiary.

Edited by rocketman

If you are just sponsoring your wife, use the I-864EZ and put N/A or none. DO NOT LEAVE any question blank. If have number to input, make sure you put 0 and don't leave blank. Do this and you should not receive a checklist. Each checklist you receive will add on 20-30 working days of additional waiting for case complete.

I have a joint sponsor, but that doesn't affect my questions. My income in sufficient but i am still adding a joint sponsor. there is only one beneficiary.

Actually if you were the only sponsor you could easily do the I-864ez which is a much easier form. So it affects the answers to your questions because you're making it harder on yourself by using a more complicated form.

So yes it does effect your answers because it affects what form you're using. I don't understand why you have a joint sponsor if your income alone is sufficient. Not sure why you'd make this paperwork harder on yourself. But your choice.

P3 Q2a+(excluding Q7) all would be N/A

P4 Q6a-9c would be N/A (10 would be your income) 11 and 12 should not be checked.

If you do not need the joint sponsor, seriously consider the EZ form. We used it and trust me, it really is much easier.

Edited by NLR

Thanks jmack and NLR. I am assuming you wrote N/A by hand since in many cases the form won't allow character / (I guess).

Yes I did in black ink.

December thread is now up: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/468369-nvc-filers-december-2013/

In case it's not clear, EVERYONE moves. Doesn't matter when you got your NOA2 or case number or anything else, everyone moves to the CURRENT month.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Question about I864-EZ leaving blank or N/As... for my understanding anything that is not for me i would leave blank but since i read about getting checklists for any blank fields i want to make sure i am not leaving anything blank. so most of the questions i have are about empty fields.

14. Citizenship /Residency

i am a US citizen

i am a lawfull perminent resident. my alien registeration number is A- ___

i checked usc obviously but for A number for the second one should i write N/A? even when i check USC?

same thing for part 5. sponsor's income and employment

i entered information in section a. Empolyed as an ____

for b. retired since___ and name of former employer___ should i put N/A or leave it blank?

for number 19. federal income tax information.

i checked both option... for tax year 2010 (3rd most recent) I was listed dependent in my dad's tax return so I wrote 0.00 in total income. is that ok?

for preparer information section should i put N/A N/A in all fields? or leave it blank?

i would suggest to check the sample forms provided here.. (top section.. example forms,, go there and find your form)

07/23/13 - I130 Package Sent

07/27/13 - NOA1

11/18/13 - NOA2

12/16/13 - NVC received Case

01/13/14 - NVC Assigned Case Number, BIN and IIN

01/13/14 - Electronic Processing Request Sent

01/15/14 - DS-261 Available and completed

01/16/14 - AOS bill invoice available and paid

01/17/14 - Electronic Processing Request Accepted

02/03/14 - AOS E-Mailed

02/01/14 - IV bill invoice available and paid

02/04/14 - DS-260 Available and completed

02/04/14 - IV package emailed

04/07/14 - Case Complete

04/08/14 - Medical Complete

04/13/14 - Interview Date

Thanks jmack and NLR. I am assuming you wrote N/A by hand since in many cases the form won't allow character / (I guess).

yes if you have to write it by hand do so.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.