We Keep Receipts

Ted Cruz Angers Nigerian-Americans With Obamacare Remarks

46 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/ted-cruz-angers-nigerian-americans-obamacare-remarks-025953889--abc-news-politics.html

Sen. Ted Cruz's sense of humor is earning him some ill will from near and far.

A Nigerian-American organization wants the Texas Republican to apologize for comments he made Monday about the problems with the Affordable Care Act website.

"You may have noticed that all the Nigerian email scammers have become a lot less active lately," Cruz said at a gathering with supporters in Houston, according to the Houston Chronicle.

"They all have been hired to run the Obamacare website," he joked.

But the Christian Association of Nigerian-Americans, also known as CANAN, isn't laughing. The group blasted Cruz, calling his comments distasteful and disparaging.

Ouch...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Well, first it was Palin that made the Republicans lose, not it will be Cruz. He really needs to close his wittle mouth.

Why would you be offended if you aren't an email scammer?

Me me me me me I can answer that!

Because people should not be generalizing and stereotyping other people. Even I am taken aback by that comment. Really, all Nigerians are not scammers and to even make that comment is suggesting they are.

Had Mr. Cruz said email scammers by itself, he would have made it unscathed.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Had Mr. Cruz said email scammers by itself, he would have made it unscathed.

Excellent explanation, thanks. I get it now, maybe there is hope for me.

Excellent explanation, thanks. I get it now, maybe there is hope for me.

Glad to help. Not all Nigerians are scammers, but when you saying something like that, you kind of lump them into the same category. Now, we might know they're not all scammers, but I can see where the anger is coming from.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Don't make me pull up people on the left who have used this same "nigerian scammer" thing in humor.

It's not that some of you don't have a sense of humor.... it's that you are selective on who you extend it to.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Don't make me pull up people on the left who have used this same "nigerian scammer" thing in humor.

It's not that some of you don't have a sense of humor.... it's that you are selective on who you extend it to.

Who makes you Danno? I'm shocked you haven't done it already.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg