61 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

When you can google and find advice on how to scam your way into a US green card you know there has to be market for the information. Some people just want to come to the good ole USA and live here on the government dole and never work or pay taxes. They just want to take, take, take, and live well off our taxes.

Again, I believe the VAWA is a good thing, just as I feel food stamps and welfare are a good thing. But there are too many abusers who know how to work the system and take advantage of it.

Filed: Timeline

Talking off topic of "marry scam", you'll find taxpayer's money here, in trillions: http://hiddensecretsofmoney.com/videos/episode-4

"Marry scam" is about relationships. The spouse complaining of being scammed sought unequal marriage to begin with. The younger spouse is being sponsored, then finds freedom of choice in the U.S. and abandons the sponsor. Was there a scam? Oftentimes. Who initiated the unequal marriage? Likely not the poorer foreigner

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

There are plenty of foreigners who troll dating sites to find a nice american spouse who will give them lots of money and bring them to the US. It takes two to tango and I rarely hear of a foreign national who comes to the US without meeting and knowing the person they are marrying or married to. Thus the requirement that you be married or have met in the past two years. To ensure there has been at least some time spent together. A relationship takes two people but one can play it up for a little while to get the other one to fall for a false persona. It works both ways, it can be the USC who is the scammer or the foreign person who is a scammer. But I still don't believe every person who files VAWA is really abused just as I don't believe every person who receives disability checks is disabled or every person who receives welfare is unable to work.

There is plenty of water in the ocean, but one may believe there isn't. This forum helps people who elect it (out of a million other Internet pages) to lessen the burden of government's red tape on their lives. People struggle not because other people wish them bad, but because they are forced to fight the system. How much strength is gone forever just to survive the system...what's left to live the life? What's left to take care of the children, to love, to excel, to explore the unknown and advance the human kind? Just help people out all you can, and they'll pay the humanity back one day. That's all you can do. Stop disbelieving - just help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Talking off topic of "marry scam", you'll find taxpayer's money here, in trillions: http://hiddensecretsofmoney.com/videos/episode-4

"Marry scam" is about relationships. The spouse complaining of being scammed sought unequal marriage to begin with. The younger spouse is being sponsored, then finds freedom of choice in the U.S. and abandons the sponsor. Was there a scam? Oftentimes. Who initiated the unequal marriage? Likely not the poorer foreigner

totally disagree

age and money and citizenship doesn't make an "unequal" marriage

yes there are a few sponsors out there looking for some advantage, but I think these heartbroken sponsors were genuinely looking for love...

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

30 year healthcare professional

Victim of heinous immigration romance scam

Father of a lovely little girl

And champion for those wronged by fraud.

Hey, it's ok to look...But don't come crying scammed! Disagree?

totally disagree

yes there are a few sponsors out there looking for some advantage, but I think these heartbroken sponsors were genuinely looking for love...

• 2 weeks later...

When you can google and find advice on how to scam your way into a US green card you know there has to be market for the information. Some people just want to come to the good ole USA and live here on the government dole and never work or pay taxes. They just want to take, take, take, and live well off our taxes.

Again, I believe the VAWA is a good thing, just as I feel food stamps and welfare are a good thing. But there are too many abusers who know how to work the system and take advantage of it.

New immigrants with fewer than *40* quarters of work are NOT ELIGIBLE for food stamps or other benefits. oops8rh.gif

Met in Ormoc, Leyte, Philippines: 2007-05-17
Our son was born in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-04-01
Married in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-10-24
CR-1 Visa - California Service Center; Consulate - Manila, Philippines
I-130 mailed: 2010-04-13
I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-24
I-130 NOA2: 2010-09-30
NVC received case: 2010-10-14
Case Complete: 2010-12-01
Interview scheduled: 2010-12-06
Medical, St. Luke's, Manila: 2010-12-09 and 2010-12-10
Interview at US Embassy in Manila 8:30 AM: 2011-01-05 - Approved!
Visa delivered: 2011-01-08
CFO Seminar completed: 2011-01-10
My beloved wife Sol and my beautiful son Nathan arrive in the U.S. (POE San Francisco): 2011-01-26
Lifting Conditions - Vermont Service Center
Date mailed: 2012-11-01
Receipt date: 2012-11-05
NOA received: 2012-11-09
Biometrics letter received: 2012-11-16
Biometrics appointment date: 2012-12-10
Biometrics walk-in successful: 2012-11-20
Removal of Conditions approved date: 2013-04-27
10 year green card mailed: 2013-05-03
10 year green card received: 2013-05-06
Citizenship
N400 mailed: 2013-10-28
N400 delivered: 2013-10-31
NOA1: 2013-11-04
Biometrics: 2013-11-18
In Line: 2013-12-26
Interview scheduled: 2013-12-30
Interview: 2014-02-03

Oath ceremony queue: 2014-02-07

Oath ceremony: 2014-03-28 Sol is a U.S. citizen

Applied for expedited passport: 2014-04-01

Passport received, Priority Express: 2014-04-09 This is journey's end at last!

Naturalization certificate returned, Priority Mail: 2014-04-12

Passport card received, First Class: 2014-04-14

1457 days, I-130 mailed to passport in hand

totally disagree

In some instances it may be fraud, in other instances it's a "bona fide divorce."

This is why the USCIS cares about one thing in I-751 waiver cases; was the marriage entered into in good faith?

Legit fraud cases should be handled as serious as any fraud/abuse case. Legit divorces are not immigration matters.

Edited by jaycali

Funny how the Philippines have those CFO seminars tthey have to go to to leave the country. You would think the USA would have same since thats where everyone wants to immigrate to.

Lets see you would go to local office and they pull up their horror show for the country you are petitioning from.

I know I could add some good scare tactics in their that would make many women at least from US run the other way. LOL Just say. ;)

Nah. My husband (the US citizen) googled it. Asked me if I was gonna have him send money to my relatives, if I'm marrying him for money etc. I wasn't offended. I know very well that that happens. Of course, for my case, I'd much rather remain forever single than have him be responsible for my family's financial troubles.

I attended the CFO seminar. (I'm Filipino living in Japan) Saying the women there were given false promises was an understatement. Most of them were thinking that American men will be okay with them sending money "back home". I was actually the only one who said I would never do such a thing. So, this is why I am of the opinion that everyone who goes through this much trouble to bring a wife/fiancee over should be smart enough. Talk about financial arrangements and expectations with the wife. I am seriously surprised at how truly dysfunctional and one-sided some of the relationships were. And at how it was glaringly obvious that their relationships were so superficial that they didn't even talk about past marriages, financial debt, etc.

I'm not saying that the scammed men are entirely to be blamed. They were targeted after all. I just hope that every US citizen who is considering marrying a man/woman they met online will be as smart as my husband and actually research and not just be blinded by the promise of sweet sweet love.

OP, I hope you already put the wheels in motion on this. Your wife is one of the reasons why people like me who just want to travel the world have a tough time applying for visas. I'm not a scammer. But it certainly doesn't help when a person of my citizenship successfully eludes persecution. Go get your justice!

Edited by ivyanddan

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Too much here is not about immigration.

My point: who doesn't know those "marry scams" exist in those countries?? Yet, USCs go for it - including, and especially, in those countries. I say: fine; but why do you come back to USCIS crying? You petitioned USCIS to affect your new spouse's immigration. You wanted it so much. Then the spouse abdicates, and you go back to USCIS petitioning again - this time to act against the spouse who didn't work out for you. You call it fraud - but you made that fraud happen. You made it happen. What kind of person are you to go back to USCIS with this nonsense - which was clear to everyone but you to begin with? It was clear to everyone but you; but you worked hard to convince USCIS to approve it. And now you work hard for USCIS to take action against the estranged. Unbelievable of you. Not that you went to those countries - every suitor seeks happiness in the right and in the knowingly wrong places, knock yourself out. Unbelievable that you involve USCIS in and out. In and out. You wanted that IN so much that you got it - why do you work so hard for out?? It's you, it's so much you just as much as the other person. It was you

I wasn't speaking of immigrants, I was speaking of fraud in general.

Edited by SingleDad2usc

just a quickie note - the OP hasn't logged in since the 7th of October .

Troll?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Point is not OP, point is good half of topics in this sub forum. The petitioned marriage goes bad, and petitioner is encouraged by members here to go back to USCIS and petition against the estranged spouse. Complete and utter nonsense. Cases where the USC is not just as much to blame, to begin with, are one in a hundred. Why blanket advice to report? Utter nonsense, waste of everybody's time, completely clogs the system. Innuendo, misinterpretation, hearsay, facebooks, forum posts - no proof. Waste of time

Too much here is not about immigration.

My point: who doesn't know those "marry scams" exist in those countries?? Yet, USCs go for it - including, and especially, in those countries. I say: fine; but why do you come back to USCIS crying? You petitioned USCIS to affect your new spouse's immigration. You wanted it so much. Then the spouse abdicates, and you go back to USCIS petitioning again - this time to act against the spouse who didn't work out for you. You call it fraud - but you made that fraud happen. You made it happen. What kind of person are you to go back to USCIS with this nonsense - which was clear to everyone but you to begin with? It was clear to everyone but you; but you worked hard to convince USCIS to approve it. And now you work hard for USCIS to take action against the estranged. Unbelievable of you. Not that you went to those countries - every suitor seeks happiness in the right and in the knowingly wrong places, knock yourself out. Unbelievable that you involve USCIS in and out. In and out. You wanted that IN so much that you got it - why do you work so hard for out?? It's you, it's so much you just as much as the other person. It was you

Who doesn't know these scams exist???

A LOT of people don't know these scams exist. I see so many people here who are getting their first passport to take their first plane ride to go visit someone they met online, with the full intention of "getting engaged" the instant they meet the foreign person. They have never travelled, they have no idea about visas, they have no perspective to be able to tell what is totally crazy and what is just foreign. Everything is different so a scammer can tell some totally BS lie and the USC really doesn't know, can't tell. (Something like, "oh, in my culture, it is very normal to have cousins living with you." when the "cousin" in the house is really the other wife. Or "Oh, it is very normal in my culture to marry an older man, it doesn't bother me!").

It seems to me like many of the people who get picked to be the victim in these scams have some sort of emotional problem, and want to be in love so badly they can't see the weird things, and believe that a person 30-years their junior would really love them unconditionally. The vast majority of these victims really have no idea they are being scammed - that's what makes it so heartbreaking.

So no, the USC is not to blame. Maybe they made bad choices, but they were most often not culpable in the fraud. They were victims, someone preyed on their trusting nature and naivety.

Finally, we do not need foreign criminals in the US. I guess I am not surprised, this coming from you, but I really can't believe anyone would think we should just let the scammer get away with it and wash our hands of the situation. These people are evil, in my book, and should be prosecuted and deported.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.