courtsk1

canadian debt collectors

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I need some advice. I'm losing sleep over this issue. I moved to USA 3 years ago on a work visa. circumstances arose in which I couldn't pay my canadian mastercard. I began receiving calls from mastercard but they stopped about a year ago. I've recently been married and am now a perm. resident. I received a phone call Friday from a debt collector saying that I owe them for the credit card debt ($3800) and that they can ganish my wages and sue me if I don't pay. he was a real jerk and made me very scared. He also said that they can report to american credit bureaus but I looked on the transunion and experian websites and they both said the canadian and american branches don't communicate. I guess my question is: can he really come after me here in the us for this money? Will they take money from my canadian bank account (I use it to pay my student loans)? And what is the likelihood that they will sue me here in the US over a measley $3800? Please help with any advice. My husband and my mom both say not to worry but I hate this stuff. We are not in a position to pay the lump sum and the debt collector says he won't accept monthly payments. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

I need some advice. I'm losing sleep over this issue. I moved to USA 3 years ago on a work visa. circumstances arose in which I couldn't pay my canadian mastercard. I began receiving calls from mastercard but they stopped about a year ago. I've recently been married and am now a perm. resident. I received a phone call Friday from a debt collector saying that I owe them for the credit card debt ($3800) and that they can ganish my wages and sue me if I don't pay. he was a real jerk and made me very scared. He also said that they can report to american credit bureaus but I looked on the transunion and experian websites and they both said the canadian and american branches don't communicate. I guess my question is: can he really come after me here in the us for this money? Will they take money from my canadian bank account (I use it to pay my student loans)? And what is the likelihood that they will sue me here in the US over a measley $3800? Please help with any advice. My husband and my mom both say not to worry but I hate this stuff. We are not in a position to pay the lump sum and the debt collector says he won't accept monthly payments. sad.png

Basically he's a liar. I lived in Montreal for a couple years. While there I had a corporate AMEX card in my name. I moved back to the U.S. and didn't pay the bill because the Canadian company I worked for wouldn't pay me. Somehow Amex Canada got a hold of me here in the U.S. and started making all these threats about ruining my U.S. credit. I told them to pi$$ off. There's nothing they can do. It's totally separate. Less than 6 months after that episode, I applied for and received a corporate AMEX card in the U.S. So not only do the credit bureaus not communicate, AMEX doesn't even communicate between the two countries.

Don't lose any sleep over it. Of course it will affect your credit in Canada if that's important to you.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Debt collectors buy stale debt and will chase after you for it. There are strict rules about what the can and can't do. Yes they CAN sue you get a judgement and attach your wages. ( I believe they can't cross the borders so they can only go after assets on the correct side of the border ) You should make payment arrangements because you do owe a dept. However if you are dealing with a bad collector , read up on your rights and report them when they behave badly. The typical fine for violating the collection act is 10000 no matter the debt ( I reported one for a 15 bill that wasn't valid and they called 5 am Sunday 3 times and they got the full fine)

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Just to play devil's advocate... if it's a "measly" $3800 then why don't you pay it?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Credit card companies are great when you apply for and get approved for their cards. However when you spend their money and they want it back they are the bad guys... go figure...

8-16-13 Married

9-16-13 I-130 Mailed

9-20-13 NOA1

3-04-14 Transferred to CSC

3-12-14 NOA2

3-26-14 Received NVC

5-3-14 Received DS-261/AOS bill

5-3-14 Paid AOS bill

5-3-14 Submitted DS-261

5-8-14 Mailed AOS Package

5-8-14 Received IV bill

5-8-14 Paid IV bill

5-9-14 UPS documents to NVC

5-10-14 Sent DS 260

6-12-14 Case complete

9-8-14 interview---- approved

Timeline

Thanks. This made me feel way better. Harpa, you're right. Isn't it funny that when it comes to messing with our money it doesn't seem so measly does it? I mean for a big company who's probably pursueing huge debts like $20,000 it must seem measly. Nigeriaorbust: who did you report them to? I'd like to do that but I'm not sure the appropriate avenue.

Thanks again! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just pay the debt that YOU accumulated. You had no problem making it........

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

That is crappy, hope you get it all straightened out.

Edited by inlovesalem

2008 Met on FB through mutual friends (platonic)
05/2012 Decided to "give it a try" after some mutual flirtations
07/2012 Met in person
08/06/2013 Proposed
21/06/2013 Married
10/09/2013 Sent I-130/I-485
19/09/2013 Cheques Cashed
23/09/2013 Hard copy NOA1
21/10/2013 Biometrics Appt Lawrence MA

21/10/2013 RFE for I-864 only, send tax transcripts and a bunch of other redundant info due to missing tax forms..ugh...

29/10/2013 Send in all required RFE Documents (hold up waiting for IRS transcripts)

31/10/2013 Online status changed to RFE response review

12/12/2013 Status changed to Testing and Interview and EAD sent out 10th, AP approved the 5th FINALLY!!!!!

14/12/2013 EAD/AP Combo received in mail smile.png

18/12/2013 Online Interview date of January 23/2014, instructions sent in mail.

23/01/2014 APPROVED...Green Card being sent in mail, no stamp in passport

29/01/2014 Received Welcome Letter

30/01/2014 Green Card Received babayyyyy!!

01/02/2014 Returned Green Card...Mistake on dates

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I hope you can get this straightened out. I'm not sure this is correct, but I assume if the debt has gone to the collection agency, you can no longer communicate with the original company about making payments, right?

They lie if they say they will not accept payments - I believe they have to accept any amount if the eprson is willing - they are a nasty bunch.

Fomr a morality point of view - I would hate for you not to pay this and have it affect you years from now if you chose to return to Canada.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I offered to make monthly payments but he said he could only accept the amount paid in full TODAY. :( and I called the credit card company and they said they wished they could settle with me but my account had already been sold off. :( I'm just feeling embarrassed and would like to make things right

Edited by courtsk1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Pretty sure thats BS, i dealt with a credit company when my C-Tire card was sold off. I was still able to make payments, i had to give them post dated cheques or or maybe it was preauthorized withdrawals..i can't remember exactly, it was something iirc, but they let me do it. Its not like they can extradite you from the USA for it, you'll just screw up your Canadian credit, and scores. Luckily that doesn't mean much for jobs etc in canada since unlike the usa, Canada does not need that info for a job. (something i still don't freaking understand why they allow in the usa)

And yes they are the meanest people in the world the way they treat you. How they are allowed to talk to people like that i have no idea, but its totally unacceptable.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In that case, I would just say, listen I have talked to my lawyer, and I know there is no way you can garnish my wages, and I have no plans to ever moving back to Canada, so if you want your money back, your going to have to come up with some sort of repayment plan that is in the best interest for the both of us. If you can't do this, let me talk to your supervisor! best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.