d&kcruise

cruise couple trying to figure it out...we need help, please! :)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello everyone!!

My fiance and I met while working for cruise ships. We still currently do, but would like to get married in between our work contracts. The problem is...we don't know which visa we should apply for, or if we should wait to even begin applying. We'd like to get married next summer, so we could maybe apply for the K1 visa, but our contract is scheduled for Asia (December-June), so we have no idea how he could do an interview. We also don't know if he is allowed to visit the US on his B1/B2 visa while working on the ship...so maybe he couldn't do the contract (or we shouldn't apply right now).

Also, if we get married earlier, apply for the CR1 visa (have it approved and then be able to live and work in the states as soon as we finish with ships), I believe he still can't touch US soil with work until it is approved, and also, we will be very difficult to reach for any interviews while sailing.

Any helpful tips?? If we get married this summer in the US, do we have to begin the process for visas right away (K1 before, or CR1 after), or should we wait until we are actually ready to settle down on US land? Do we even need to apply for a visa if we are not planning to live in the US right away? I have a fear that the immigration officers will seriously frown on us for not having traditional lives. :( We'd only like to be working for ships for a year or so more to save money for a home (which also, we do not have), but we don't want to settle down on US land without him being able to work or without going through a proper process. Help please!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

Help please!!

It sounds like you have done your research and have a good understanding of this process

the k1 if filed now appears to have an approval horizon these days in less than 6 months which sounds too tight for you.

the cr1 if filed now is running up to a year total process, but that will decrease quickly with the new center

personally, I would file the cr1 for many reasons after you get married. read the guides to ensure you have all your documentation that you will need. this paperwork can be mailed from anywhere. it is always good to have a us mailing address.. international post doesn't always fly with uscis in terms of receiving a hard copy nor do email or the online case status check.

once cr1 is approved your file will process at nvc and then off to the embassy for interview

after you file each and every stage can be delayed by either of you for up to a year

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

whichever visa you choose,

if'n the interview is to be in Croatia -

time the filing so the interview is during the 'dead time' from his work.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from CR-1 Process forum to the "What Visa Do I Need" forum -- OP is weighing visa paths. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Thanks for the suggestions and fast responses!!

I heard that if we get approved for the CR1 visa and he gets his green card, it is frowned upon for him to leave the country for 6 months or more.

Should we wait until we are planning to settle down to start applying? We still plan to work abroad and don't want to go through the process if the green card could be revoked. Thoughts??

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! :)

If you're not ready to settled in the US right away, I would wait before applying for the visa. My husband and I got married in June 2009 but only applied this year for a visa for me. After getting married, we moved to Japan and then Australia.

You could apply for the visa about a year before you're ready to settle in the US if the two of you don't want to spend too much time apart. We applied a month before he moved back to the US and I haven't seen my husband in almost 7 months now. He wasn't supposed to move to the US that quickly after we applied for the visa but a great job opportunity came up so he left.

Obtaining Greencards for spouses is for living in the US. If you don't want to live in the US, then there is no need to pursue any greencard.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Awesome. :) Thanks for all the info! I think maybe we'll hold off for now, since we aren't planning on landing in the states yet. The whole wedding planning process is so daunting because of this...I just want to make sure we do everything legally.

I guess for now we are planning to maybe get married in the states, but not file because we won't be living in the states. I'm planning to do a lot of asking at an immigration center when I finally go home, but we will see.

Thank you to everyone for your feedback! The resources here have been SOOOO tremendously helpful!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.