Wakey86

When to expect my green card & Social security card

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi guys,

I arrived on a CR1 visa & I've been here a week; want to hit the ground running,lol. So anyway, approximately how long will it take for me to get my green card & social security number in the mail?? And in the meantime am I able to apply for work? Will my passport & the I-551 stamp suffice for purposes of employment or must I wait until I have the SSN?

Any responses are appreciated.

Thanks!!!! :)

Wakenya.

04EPel7.jpg04EPp3.png

xU4Op3.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

took my husband 7 weeks to get his green card, 8 to get his SS number and card. He ticked the box to have SS card sent after POEon his IV application, but he went to the local SS office a week after he arrived and applied in person, and it still took 8 weeks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Did the officer at POE tell you how long it was taking for GC production?

In general it takes anywhere from 6-8 wks for GC to come, I already had my SSN when I came but I have heard stories on here where even when ppl had checked yes box they have not got it and some have got it.

You should be able to visit the SSN office and apply or wait 6-8 weeks and if you dont get you can apply. You I551 stamp is your GC - valid for 1 yr.

If you plan to visit SSN office I would suggest visit after 3-4 weeks so there would be enough time for your information to sync over and they can see validate your status with DHS.

Yes you can apply for jobs and your I551 stamp would work and most employeers understand it takes few weeks to get SSN and they would either wait or would let you start the job and later update the SSN.

Timeline

Did the officer at POE tell you how long it was taking for GC production?

In general it takes anywhere from 6-8 wks for GC to come, I already had my SSN when I came but I have heard stories on here where even when ppl had checked yes box they have not got it and some have got it.

You should be able to visit the SSN office and apply or wait 6-8 weeks and if you dont get you can apply. You I551 stamp is your GC - valid for 1 yr.

If you plan to visit SSN office I would suggest visit after 3-4 weeks so there would be enough time for your information to sync over and they can see validate your status with DHS.

Yes you can apply for jobs and your I551 stamp would work and most employeers understand it takes few weeks to get SSN and they would either wait or would let you start the job and later update the SSN.

Hi Harsh, no, he didn't say anything about the GC...I just spoke to someone at a temp service and they basically told me that they can't help me find work unless I have my SSN...even after I told them about the I-551 stamp.

04EPel7.jpg04EPp3.png

xU4Op3.png

Timeline

took my husband 7 weeks to get his green card, 8 to get his SS number and card. He ticked the box to have SS card sent after POEon his IV application, but he went to the local SS office a week after he arrived and applied in person, and it still took 8 weeks

Thanks for the reply :)

04EPel7.jpg04EPp3.png

xU4Op3.png

took exactly a week for IR-5 Parents after POE to get their SSN in the mail.

F2A Journey ( Daughter or LPR mom)

PD: 08/22/2013

NOA2: 11/15/2013

CASE NUMBER GENERATED: 12/16/2013

DS261 SENT: 12/16/2013

AOS PAID: 1/1/2014

AOS PACKET SENT:

IV PAID: 1/10/2014

IV PACKET SENT:

1) did you pay the $165 fee?

2) after two weeks if you do not have your SSN you can go to an SSA office and apply for one.

3) green card should arrive 4-8 weeks after POE if you paid the fee before getting to the USA (or shortly thereafter.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Kenya
Timeline

hi wakenya..i finally got approved on my k1 visa. how long did it take u to get your visa after interview? how did u know when it was ready at dhl?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I didn't know the USCIS was sending out SS cards, we had to go to our local SS office and apply for them. In regards to the time from the time we sent in our AOS packet, it took almost six months to receive my wfie's EAD card we paid extra for. With that, could go to our local SS office and receive a probationary SS card.

Then I could finally add her to my bank accounts, and she is not one to sit at home alone, but was doing volunteer work. Gained such a reputation, found a good paying job almost instantly. Then another seven months went by, we didn't mind, was playing house until we were finally called in for our AOS interview. Was about two weeks latter her green card came in the mail. But since we weren't quite married two years yet, was a conditional.

With that, could go to the SS office and get her permanent SS card. And she could show her employer she was now an LPR.

When I read 6-8 weeks, is the USCIS processing AOS this much quicker now? Sure weren't back then. Then after 21 months went by was time to apply for the ROC stage, but she only received a one year extension letter instead. That was awkward, had to explain that with an expired green card that nobody understood. So at the earlies possible time, exactly one year later after sending in that I-751, we sent in the N-400 with an expired green card and that one year extension notice. She finally received her ten year card just a week before her citizenship interview, only to have to give it back. Ha, she didn't want to return it, but quickly got over that. We had to make an extra trip to our field office to get an I-551 stamp in her foreign passport book, so she could continue to work. As that one year extension notice was about to expire.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.