speaktru69

Co-sponsor just backed out for my partners k-1 visa

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All,

Just got some disappointing news that my cousins husband (he works, she doesnt) just decided he couldn't be my partners sponsor for the K-1 visa. Since I live with her in England and wont have a job in the states until we move back and I can apply for one, we're royally screwed as I can't show I have financial means to support her.

I have explained it to them that its just a 2 page form that he needs to fill in with a copy of a recent tax return and a letter from his employer regarding his employment, ie legnth of service, occupation and salary.

She has a small pension she receives and I will very soon own a home in the states outright. There is no one else I know who earns enough the be a sponsor.

Any advice or guidence would be appreciated. We're desperate and very upset about it. Means I might have to stay in England.

Cheers

Trish

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you for your support and understand during this time of stress for us. You really know how to help people out when they're seeking solid advice. Keep your criticism to yourself when you don't know the whole situation, me or my CIVIL PARTNER. I wouldn't have to be going through a K1 visa if the US recognised my relationship as marriage. I had to move to England at a the cost of seeing my family and have been here for 8 years. If you think I'm selfish you can go crawl back under the rock you came from.

I dont expect anything from anyone and if you don't have any good advice or something nice to say just "Shut It"

CHEERS!!

You will also need a joint sponsor for the I-864 to get a greencard. It is very strict. The cousin's husband would be on the hook for someone he doesn't know even if you two split up, until the immigrant worked 10 years, left the US permanently, or he died. It's a lot to ask someone to do for you.

One way around it for the London embassy and the I-134 is if the immigrant has $40-50 thousand dollars saved up. Then he/she can self-sponsor for the visa.

But in general, if you want to marry and live in the US--

1. Get a job in the US.

2. Find a joint sponsor.

You have until the interview in London to do so.

Immigration is not allowed to everyone. You have to meet the requirements. Right now you don't, but you have ways to qualify.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

If you can't convince your cousin, find someone else. All else fails, go back to the US and find a job. Majority of us has to deal with being separated from our loved ones too. So we know how hard it is. Don't put an attitude just because what you were advised is not what you wanted to hear. Deal with it!

Good luck.

wow.gif

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Re: civil partnership and lack of marriage recognition in the UK (I assume this is a same-sex issue, hopefully that'll change very soon. Stupid UK.).

You can marry in the US and do the CR-1 route now if you like. As a UK resident, that would also open the DCF route to you.

K1 or CR-1, you'd still need to find US work, assets of several thousand (the house you own outright soon - I wonder if that's an option to sell?), or a joint sponsor.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It is not 'just' a piece of paper, it is a major responsibility, especially for someone they may not know very well

Either convince your cousin's husband or find a new cosponsor.

good luck

The I-134 is not even a legal document. It is replaced by the I-864 after marriage and when adjusting status. the risk to co-sponsor on an I-134 is virtually none

They can wait until he has a job to file the AOS and the I-864 which IS a legal binding document and hopefully the OP can sponsor himself. Perhaps if this is explained the original co-sponsor would change their mind.

Alternatively the OP can move back to the US now and secure work and sponsor her himself.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You will also need a joint sponsor for the I-864 to get a greencard. It is very strict. The cousin's husband would be on the hook for someone he doesn't know even if you two split up, until the immigrant worked 10 years, left the US permanently, or he died. It's a lot to ask someone to do for you.

One way around it for the London embassy and the I-134 is if the immigrant has $40-50 thousand dollars saved up. Then he/she can self-sponsor for the visa.

But in general, if you want to marry and live in the US--

1. Get a job in the US.

2. Find a joint sponsor.

You have until the interview in London to do so.

Immigration is not allowed to everyone. You have to meet the requirements. Right now you don't, but you have ways to qualify.

Not necessarily so.

The cousin (or anyone else) can co-sponsor the I-134 for the visa, they both move to the US and the OP gets a job, THEN files for the green card and the I-864 on his own.

Risk to cousin...virtually -0-

Or yes, move back and get a job and deal with the separation, most of us did.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The I-134 is not even a legal document. It is replaced by the I-864 after marriage and when adjusting status. the risk to co-sponsor on an I-134 is virtually none

Yes, I know it isn't a legal document, which is why I didn't say it was

but thanks for correcting me good.gif

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Thank you for your support and understand during this time of stress for us. You really know how to help people out when they're seeking solid advice. Keep your criticism to yourself when you don't know the whole situation, me or my CIVIL PARTNER. I wouldn't have to be going through a K1 visa if the US recognised my relationship as marriage. I had to move to England at a the cost of seeing my family and have been here for 8 years. If you think I'm selfish you can go crawl back under the rock you came from.

I dont expect anything from anyone and if you don't have any good advice or something nice to say just "Shut It"

CHEERS!!

The advice was not bad. The visa is the easy part. The government does not make exceptions because you don't want to hear bad news.

So get a co-sponsor willing to accept the minimal risk of the I-134 or come back and get a job. No whining in immigration.

If the US recognized your relationship as a marriage you would need to go the CR-1 route which DOES require the I-864 and that IS a legal document. In other words...you are better off with the K-1

The ONE thing I can assure you is that in this process you will NOT get everything you want...how you want it...when you want it. Get over that right now and you will be better off. Pay your nickle and take your choice.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Yes, I know it isn't a legal document, which is why I didn't say it was

but thanks for correcting me good.gif

What I was "correcting" was the implication you gave that it was a major committment for someone to co-sponsor a K-1 visa. It isn't. It is not even enforceable in any way.

You are providing an assurance to the consulate that the applicant will not become a public charge. That's all. The I-134 is not even required by most consulates, it is a convenience form which is basically a summary of what you attach to it. You are under no obligation at all except to make them feel warm and fuzzy. The legal obligation occurs at the time you apply for permmanent residency and that can be done at any time after entering the USA and getting married. If it takes a year for him to land a good job...then delay the green card application for a year. No big deal.

The London consulate is one of the easiest to deal with regarding this part and have been known to allow self sponsorship when an applicant has marketable skills and education which they consider to be sufficient to convince them the applicant will not become a public charge.

The OP should document this and send the info to the prospective sponsor and see what they say. They probably got some bad advice such as "it is a major committment" or something.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with the advice given here. Find someone else or move home and sponsor her yourself. As others have mentioned the I-864 is a legal document, which you will need to have for AOS. If you are having difficulty finding someone for the I134 you will have a more difficult time finding someone for the I-864.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi All,

Just got some disappointing news that my cousins husband (he works, she doesnt) just decided he couldn't be my partners sponsor for the K-1 visa. Since I live with her in England and wont have a job in the states until we move back and I can apply for one, we're royally screwed as I can't show I have financial means to support her.

I have explained it to them that its just a 2 page form that he needs to fill in with a copy of a recent tax return and a letter from his employer regarding his employment, ie legnth of service, occupation and salary.

She has a small pension she receives and I will very soon own a home in the states outright. There is no one else I know who earns enough the be a sponsor.

Any advice or guidence would be appreciated. We're desperate and very upset about it. Means I might have to stay in England.

Cheers

Trish

Or as you said - stay in England! Sell the house here and just stay there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.