wanderingspell

How long did it take you to get a job?

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well...I stopped looking for job for a long time and started creating one for myself. I When i came here on September 2011 i searched for job like a crazy person just like you...even though i realized the possible job i might land is still minimum wage that can't even do me any good but i keep looking. Then at a point i stopped because of the frustration of doing so and create one and i am developing it gradually though it is never easy.

Well we're not in the USA, but when I moved to Costa Rica it took me about 4 months to find a job and then 2 more months to start working. I'm a teacher.

When we move back to the USA I am allotting the same amount of time (6 months) for both of us to find jobs again.

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hey everybody!

Still in Spain about to move to the states after my interview (k1) that is probably going to be sometime in September, so I'm looking to be able to come around mid October.

I'm in Spain and already worry about the job situation!! Going to Florida and obviously I speak Spanish, so I'm keeping myself a lil positive about it.

I have an Economics degree and a masters in International Trade...

Hoping to get a job soon just to keep myself busy...

I would recomend everybody to get a transcript of your studies. Is good to have it just in case they ask for it, or you can probably attach it to some applications...

At the same time, networks like Linkedin will help also... (I'm going to have to translate mine to english now that I think about it...

I will keep you guys updated with my experience!

Anybody in central Florida already there looking or already with job??

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Those of you who have degrees, post on LinkedIn your resume. There are quite a few recruiters looking for IT workers. No one on my team is looking for work but we get interview calls without asking every few months. And our company KNOWS that people are trying to poach us. Also remember that having a job makes it easier to get another job, so try not being picky.

Try meetup.com in your area. There are many amateur groups that teach new programming languages, IT skills, business networking and other job skills. Rub shoulders and network. Many of the people there own their companies and are looking for workers. Granted many are looking for someone "cheap" but better to have SOME US work experience than nothing.

Yeah we did that. Get plenty of calls from recruiters, but most of those recruiters aren't actual, good headhunters, only one serious offer so far. He's doing some freelance work here and there, I hope that can give him the US experience for a better job later on.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have been looking for a job since end of May 2013 and still have not been successful. I live in San Antonio, TX. My main fields of experience are in marketing and PR /market research and business development. I am educated to master's, and have nearly 10 years of work experience. I apply for full and part time jobs, making sure I meet the position's requirements. However, I feel that having no work experience on the US market is what is hindering me and I am also not a Spanish speaker. I could be wrong but it is hard to determine the real reasons of not being able to secure a job yet in the field I want. I try to stay positive and will keep on looking..Good luck to everyone looking for a job!!

I live in Austin. I don't think lack of spanish has anything to do with it. In some places it might be considered a plus but rarely a requirement

I live in Austin. I don't think lack of spanish has anything to do with it. In some places it might be considered a plus but rarely a requirement

Good to know! For quite a few jobs I came across and I was interested in, it was required, or as they tend to put it in a job spec: 'Bilingual preferred'.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good to know! For quite a few jobs I came across and I was interested in, it was required, or as they tend to put it in a job spec: 'Bilingual preferred'.

Hearing that made me wonder so I checked the demographics

according to the census 63% of San Antonio is hispanic

and only 35% of Austin is hispanic

I was assuming since they were right next door to each other they would be almost the same

Maybe you should put in some applications in Austin and comute, about an hour and a half

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48/4805000.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm in Houston, TX and it's a requirement for lots of jobs, but you can find something without this requirement

Jeanne Robertson-Stewart

event.png

event.png

event.png

event.png

Igor's list

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/monthly_filers.php?form=1&visa=1&scenter=2&option=3&sortby=2

I am the petitioner

• July 21, 2011 Met at Margaritaville in MoBay
  • February 14, 2013 Engaged
  • 5/15/13 I-129F notice from post office
  • 5/16/13 Received date
  • 5/20/13 NOA1
  • 5/23/13 I-797C, NOA
  • 5/28/13 your Alien Registration Number was changed relating to your I129F, PETITION FOR FIANCE(E).
  • 8/8/13 STILL WAITING mad.gif
  • 9/4/13 Petition transferred (to TX I'm guessing)
  • 9/19/13 NOA2
  • 9/21/13 received NOA2 hardcopy
  • 9/23/13 shipped this approved or re-affirmed case to the Department of State for visa processing
  • 10/1/13 NVC received
  • 10/2/13 left NVC
  • 11/25/2013 Received 221g requesting DNA testing on 2 of the 3 kids
  • 01/28/2014 DNA testing complete
  • 01/31/2014 DNA results in (he is the daddy...lol)
  • 02/04/2014 Letter mailed requesting passports to continue process
  • 02/11/2014 sent passports via DHL
  • 02/12/2014 Passports received by embassy
AOS

April 8, 2015....Application received

May 8, 2015....Biometric complete

May 27, 2015..Request for EAD expedite

June 3, 2015 ..Faxed expedite proof....waiting response....fingers crossed

June 4, 2015, your request to have your case expedited, referral number xxxxxxxxx, was assigned to an officer for response.

June 18, 2015 EAD CARD APPROVED AWAITING DELIVERY!!!

June 24,2015 EAD/AP combo card picked up by USPS

June 25, 2015 EAD/AP card received

October 6, 2015 email stating greencards in production!!!

Yeah we did that. Get plenty of calls from recruiters, but most of those recruiters aren't actual, good headhunters, only one serious offer so far. He's doing some freelance work here and there, I hope that can give him the US experience for a better job later on.

OK. I got interviews with top 10 software companies so I was wondering if that would help. I was on H1 and only had less than a year left so didn't get the job. :(. But yeah freelance work will help hopefully. I know my husbands company ( also software) is hiring big time. They will be adding 50 new jobs in the next 4 months. We are in the Atlanta area.

Why doesn't he take the serious offer then even it isn't what he wants to do right now? Having a job will make it easier to get another job. That's how my company and my husband's is hiring. Most companies are looking for already employed people rather than people who have been out of work for a long time.

I gave the same advice to my husband. He was unemployed when I met him and on our second date he told me he had one concrete offer in a company he didn't want to work for and 2 leads in others but no offer in those. I told him to just take the job in hand. And once he did, the other offers became concrete because now he had bargaining power. Also it showed that he was employable so the other company's stopped playing hardball with him. My husband is a US citizen but he had the problem of being out of a job for 3 years because he was a student and in the Army reserves.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

OK. I got interviews with top 10 software companies so I was wondering if that would help. I was on H1 and only had less than a year left so didn't get the job. sad.png. But yeah freelance work will help hopefully. I know my husbands company ( also software) is hiring big time. They will be adding 50 new jobs in the next 4 months. We are in the Atlanta area.

Why doesn't he take the serious offer then even it isn't what he wants to do right now? Having a job will make it easier to get another job. That's how my company and my husband's is hiring. Most companies are looking for already employed people rather than people who have been out of work for a long time.

Yeah, he's gonna take up the offer if they give it to him (one interview left).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My hubby came in middle of may. We were expecting our baby so he didn't start job s outing till July;mostly online applications. He started work this August, in retail business(pays above minimum wage and gets him out of d house). He has a phone interview on Tuesday with another retailer. We are in NYC.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hey everybody!

Still in Spain about to move to the states after my interview (k1) that is probably going to be sometime in September, so I'm looking to be able to come around mid October.

I'm in Spain and already worry about the job situation!! Going to Florida and obviously I speak Spanish, so I'm keeping myself a lil positive about it.

I have an Economics degree and a masters in International Trade...

Hoping to get a job soon just to keep myself busy...

I would recomend everybody to get a transcript of your studies. Is good to have it just in case they ask for it, or you can probably attach it to some applications...

At the same time, networks like Linkedin will help also... (I'm going to have to translate mine to english now that I think about it...

I will keep you guys updated with my experience!

Anybody in central Florida already there looking or already with job??

I have been in Orlando for almost a year now. I have been working for the city (IT) since November of last year. I got the job through a recruiter. Look up K-Force.com

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline

Well, we are in Ireland and my husband started looking for a job in Feb/March and no joy yet. He is in the IT field. He petitioned for me (I 130) which was approved in March and the pressure is now on as we only have until March before it expires so we are really hoping he finds something soon or it looks like we won't be going at all. The recruitment agencies are not hopeful he will find anything from here, but the alternative is to give up a great paying job here to go over to the US jobless and that is not a risk we can take

01/17/2013 I-130 sent to the USCIS Lockbox Chicago

01/18/2013 Received /signed for

01/23/2013 email NOA1

01/29/2013 NOA1 Hardcopy Rec

03/07/2013 I130 Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.